What would be better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc0610

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am an IMG and I am really interested in Family Medicine residency. I know that being an IMG has it's disadvantages while applying to family, but I really want to give it a shot.

So, I graduated in 2012, and have finished all my steps, including step 3, I do have an attempt on ck and Cs. Step one- 191, ck- 242, Cs pass and 3 is 210, GC holder. I applied this year, but I didn't have any FM lor. Got one IV.

Now, I was wondering how do I make my CV more attractive for family medicine? I do have a research opportunity, but it is in GI. I am not quiet sure how much it will help in family. I don't want family medicine to look like a back up. So, donyou advice doing observerhsip at the programs that I want to match or something else? Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

An "attempt" on CS/CK means what? (Don't try to sugarcoat a fail, just call it a fail.)

I assume you're ready to SOAP? There are always unfilled FM residencies you can go after.

If this year doesn't work out? Wherever you have people, get those people to help you. Former classmates, people you meet at interviews, whatever you can get.

Starting today, you have about six months to produce new assets for reapplying, plus about two months to influence invites, plus about 3 months to influence post-interview decisions. Don't do the GI month at a time you could be doing FM things...unless you can get a letter out of it, in which case do it asap.

I suggest that you need to get yourself face to face with the decision makers at residencies where you have a chance. And you need as much face to face time as you can possibly get, at as many residencies you can possibly get. Make a good impression, solidify that impression, be unfailingly polite, keep in touch, next residency.

Face to face: observership, volunteering, conferences, CME sessions, whatever you can get, however long you can get it

Decision makers: program directors, admins/coordinators, FM faculty, chief residents, residents (in that order)

Residencies where you have the best chance: those that don't fill (see NRMP), those that have accreditation problems (see ACGME), those that have IMGs similar to you (see resident rosters & use Google, Doximity), those nearby (unless you're wealthy), etc.

Also think about pursuing a prelim year, in whatever. You have to (a) be very successful at that prelim year; (b) you get about 3 months in that prelim year to get letters, and (c) you have to have the money and make the time to do interviews during that prelim year.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
An "attempt" on CS/CK means what? (Don't try to sugarcoat a fail, just call it a fail.)

I assume you're ready to SOAP? There are always unfilled FM residencies you can go after.

If this year doesn't work out? Wherever you have people, get those people to help you. Former classmates, people you meet at interviews, whatever you can get.

Starting today, you have about six months to produce new assets for reapplying, plus about two months to influence invites, plus about 3 months to influence post-interview decisions. Don't do the GI month at a time you could be doing FM things...unless you can get a letter out of it, in which case do it asap.

I suggest that you need to get yourself face to face with the decision makers at residencies where you have a chance. And you need as much face to face time as you can possibly get, at as many residencies you can possibly get. Make a good impression, solidify that impression, be unfailingly polite, keep in touch, next residency.

Face to face: observership, volunteering, conferences, CME sessions, whatever you can get, however long you can get it

Decision makers: program directors, admins/coordinators, FM faculty, chief residents, residents (in that order)

Residencies where you have the best chance: those that don't fill (see NRMP), those that have accreditation problems (see ACGME), those that have IMGs similar to you (see resident rosters & use Google, Doximity), those nearby (unless you're wealthy), etc.

Also think about pursuing a prelim year, in whatever. You have to (a) be very successful at that prelim year; (b) you get about 3 months in that prelim year to get letters, and (c) you have to have the money and make the time to do interviews during that prelim year.

Good luck!

Hey Natividad Resident,

Thank you so much for such an amazing response. I really do appreciate it.

My question was, as a FM resident program is research important? or if i did approximately 3 two month observerships, would the programs favor that more? I was assuming that observerships would be better, but i didn't want to assume anything.

Again, thank you for your time and patience.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, you don't need research on an FM app.

Regardless, 1 month of time with a GI researcher wouldn't count as "research" on any residency app. Not much time, nothing produced. Generally research with pubs is the gold standard for "research." Pubs are helpful for any specialty, particularly if you want to be in academic med. What's required in any specialty is the ability to identify, absorb, evaluate and interpret research done by others, and generally you get that in med school. Such as, when you see new guidance on statins, are you able to form an opinion on the value of the evidence behind the change?

For this GI opportunity, there's always value in getting exposed to GI, ID, Cards etc. But that exposure, for you, comes at the expense of face time with your residency targets. You need to get out there and make a great impression: that you're smart, well trained, personable, a team player, hard working, a great communicator, teachable, consistent, and above all mentally stable. Preferably you're also fun to be around. You want your name and/or picture to make people remember you and say "oh yeah he/she was great!" at the ranking session next year. (All residencies are doing their ranking sessions for this year right about now.)

I didn't realize 2 month observer gigs were possible vs. 2 weeks or a month - that's good news. It's a lot more likely that you can get a meaningful recommendation from a 2 month gig. Yes, absolutely, get nice big chunks of time at 3+ residency programs, and get some fresh app assets in place before ERAS opens. Note that you should do whatever it takes to get EMR access at these observerships - and emulate the go-getter MS3's and MS4's at these sites.

No, you don't need research on an FM app.

Regardless, 1 month of time with a GI researcher wouldn't count as "research" on any residency app. Not much time, nothing produced. Generally research with pubs is the gold standard for "research." Pubs are helpful for any specialty, particularly if you want to be in academic med. What's required in any specialty is the ability to identify, absorb, evaluate and interpret research done by others, and generally you get that in med school. Such as, when you see new guidance on statins, are you able to form an opinion on the value of the evidence behind the change?

For this GI opportunity, there's always value in getting exposed to GI, ID, Cards etc. But that exposure, for you, comes at the expense of face time with your residency targets. You need to get out there and make a great impression: that you're smart, well trained, personable, a team player, hard working, a great communicator, teachable, consistent, and above all mentally stable. Preferably you're also fun to be around. You want your name and/or picture to make people remember you and say "oh yeah he/she was great!" at the ranking session next year. (All residencies are doing their ranking sessions for this year right about now.)

I didn't realize 2 month observer gigs were possible vs. 2 weeks or a month - that's good news. It's a lot more likely that you can get a meaningful recommendation from a 2 month gig. Yes, absolutely, get nice big chunks of time at 3+ residency programs, and get some fresh app assets in place before ERAS opens. Note that you should do whatever it takes to get EMR access at these observerships - and emulate the go-getter MS3's and MS4's at these sites.

Unfortunately, being an IMG and an observer won't let me have any EMR access at any place. It's against their policy for patient safety and security. So, that is the downfall of this. I know of one moth observership as well, but I was hoping to convert it as time went by. I am going to get these observerships through emailing people as no one from my school is doing family medicine or has done it in the past. So, that is the tough part to get an observership. If you know of any programs that have observerships would you mind letting me know? I could use any kind of help.

As far as research is concerned, it was going to be for a year. I am sorry if I wrote one month. It would start in March and go on till January next year in the hopes of publishing. However, I would be compromising face time like you said. So, I guess observership > research for family medicine.

Again, thank you so much for all the input. I really do appreciate it :)

Hello,

I am an IMG and I am really interested in Family Medicine residency. I know that being an IMG has it's disadvantages while applying to family, but I really want to give it a shot.

So, I graduated in 2012, and have finished all my steps, including step 3, I do have an attempt on ck and Cs. Step one- 191, ck- 242, Cs pass and 3 is 210, GC holder. I applied this year, but I didn't have any FM lor. Got one IV.

Now, I was wondering how do I make my CV more attractive for family medicine? I do have a research opportunity, but it is in GI. I am not quiet sure how much it will help in family. I don't want family medicine to look like a back up. So, donyou advice doing observerhsip at the programs that I want to match or something else? Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you :)

Hey, you did incredible your 2nd time on Step 2 CK. Programs will notice that. #1-YOU GOT AN INTERVIEW! That's a good thing! Be positive, you might just match with 1 IV...there are people with 0 interviews. I hope that went well.

I'm also applying this season, and I agree with NavidadResident, you should do observerships. I got 2 interviews just out of doing family medicine sub-Internship/Audition rotations electives. Plus I had 2 family medicine LORs-one from a program director, and one from a chair.

Also, I highly recommend AAFP conference, which is around July every year at Kansas City. They have a residency expo hall-where all the family medicine residencies have a booth and talk to you about application criteria, observership opportunities, and can even give input of what they are looking for. If you have AAFP on your application-that will definitely show your genuine interest in family medicine.

I also did community outreach projects that are more family related instead of research. Such as AIDS awareness program, community health-fairs ect.

I wish you the best of luck, and lets hope we match :)

Hey, you did incredible your 2nd time on Step 2 CK. Programs will notice that. #1-YOU GOT AN INTERVIEW! That's a good thing! Be positive, you might just match with 1 IV...there are people with 0 interviews. I hope that went well.

I'm also applying this season, and I agree with NavidadResident, you should do observerships. I got 2 interviews just out of doing family medicine sub-Internship/Audition rotations electives. Plus I had 2 family medicine LORs-one from a program director, and one from a chair.

Also, I highly recommend AAFP conference, which is around July every year at Kansas City. They have a residency expo hall-where all the family medicine residencies have a booth and talk to you about application criteria, observership opportunities, and can even give input of what they are looking for. If you have AAFP on your application-that will definitely show your genuine interest in family medicine.

I also did community outreach projects that are more family related instead of research. Such as AIDS awareness program, community health-fairs ect.

I wish you the best of luck, and lets hope we match :)

Hey,

thank you so much for taking the time out to reply and give such input. I appreciate it. yes, I will stick to observership. However, being an IMg and a graduate makes it difficult for me to act like a sub intern. But, I guess getting some kind of face time is always better.

All the best, I hope you match and don't have to worry about a residency every again :)