What would be the next step for me? and How can I be successful? Please help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nick0907

Futuredoc88
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question regarding how to get in to med school

First of all, i am planning to apply in upcoming June (of 2012)

And, I just graduated from college with 3.5GPA but I havn't done any volunteer works or research. (I am currently searching for volunteer works)

Also, I am planning on taking MCAT on Jan..

Can anyone briefly give me an idea of future plans until June?
What score should I get on MCAT to be in the safe line?
How many hours should I complete (minimum) volunteer works ?
What else I could do to increase chance to get in?

Thank you very much

Members don't see this ad.

No volunteering at all and no research? What have you been doing the whole time? You need to dedicate your time to clinical volunteering and physician shadowing if you haven't done that either (~100 hours worth).

No volunteering at all and no research? What have you been doing the whole time? You need to dedicate your time to clinical volunteering and physician shadowing if you haven't done that either (~100 hours worth).

Thanks for the reply,,

Yea i havn't done much because I decided to become MD in my senior year... That is why i feel i am a far behind than other people. Um. I am planning on doing multiple volunteers as well as shadowing.. would be okay even though I start doing these late?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply,,

Yea i havn't done much because I decided to become MD in my senior year... That is why i feel i am a far behind than other people. Um. I am planning on doing multiple volunteers as well as shadowing.. would be okay even though I start doing these late?

I feel like its not as important that you have been doing these things since, say, freshman year in college. Maybe if you did a few things that shows your committed to a medical field. When are you applying?

You will be fine as long as you were involved in some ECs during college. Just volunteer and do research for the next year. Get a job as a research assistant (if you can) and fine like 5-7 hours once a week to volunteer.

I feel like its not as important that you have been doing these things since, say, freshman year in college. Maybe if you did a few things that shows your committed to a medical field. When are you applying?

I am going to apply in upcoming June 2012. My plan is just spend a lot of time for volunteering and studying MCAT... would that be okay? is there something else I should do?

Oh and, I used shadowed some doctors while I was in Korea during college year,. can I count that as experience? because that actually let me get interested in medical field

You will be fine as long as you were involved in some ECs during college. Just volunteer and do research for the next year. Get a job as a research assistant (if you can) and fine like 5-7 hours once a week to volunteer.

is it okay If i just spend a lot of time for volunteering instead getting research job? btw where can you find info about the research jobs?

is it okay If i just spend a lot of time for volunteering instead getting research job? btw where can you find info about the research jobs?

Generally you can find a research job at your school.

Study hard for the MCAT, bc with a 3.5 you are looking at 50:50 chances of getting in unless you get a good MCAT.

Prepare to play the BS admissions game! You better "volunteer" like you mean it, son!!111