1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

What would/did you do?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by jofrbr76, Dec 4, 2002.

1. jofrbr76

jofrbr76 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Go to your state school to save money,

Or go to a private school in a big city for about twice the money?

I'm trying to decide between Michigan State CHM and Loyola SSOM. Both are similar curriculum-wise but Loyola is so damned tempting, but with a more expensive price tag.

What did you do ? Or, what would you do?

Thanks,

Joe

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Chengster

Chengster Junior Member

I had to chose between UF and UMiami which were both ranked pretty equally at the time. I went to UF for undergrad already and the idea of big city in south FL was tempting but I decided it wasn't worth an addition 30K in tuition/cost of living. I'm very happy with my decision to stay at UF, love my classmates, the environment, and faculty and it is an excellent education. I really think you learn the same stuff so go where you'll enjoy 4 years!

4. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes!
    10+ Year Member

Go to the state school and save your money, unless the private school has some other compelling reasons for you (close to family, significantly higher prestige if that matters to you, etc.).

5. cchoukal

cchoukal Senior Member
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I chose my state school (MN) over Pitt for financial reasons. Although I sometimes regret not having taken on the adventure of moving to a new city, I've been more than pleased with the education and opportunities I'm finding here, for what it's worth.

6. andrea

10+ Year Member

I decided to go to the expensive private school, but ended up getting the NHSC scholarship that covers tuition anyway. So it worked out well. Good luck to you!

7. TysonCook

TysonCook Senior Member
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I had the same choice except that the state school was in another state. So I went with the public school (out-of-state) over the private schools to save money. They where "top 50" schools for whatever that's worth.

IMHO the more money you can save (within reason) the easier the journey will be.

Save your dough.

8. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What schools did you choose from Tyson?

9. TysonCook

TysonCook Senior Member
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    WSUreds - I pm'd you.

10. paean

paean Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Tell the private school that you really want to go there, but you can't afford to pass on going to the less expensive school, and see if they will give you a scholarship to help close the difference. If they want you enough, they will often give you a tuition break.