What would happen if all the neurosurgeons just quit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mad Doctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Imagine, if the working conditions of neurosurgeons dropped so low that no one else wanted to be a neurosurgeon, and all the existing ones quit. That is, if neurosurgeons had to work 23 hour work days and had no breaks. If the training to be a neurosurgeon became 15 years. What would happen in that world. Would there be choas and death? Or the emergence of a new breed of doctors to take their place maybe. You fill in the possible ending for this scenario.

Members don't see this ad.

Imagine, if the working conditions of neurosurgeons dropped so low that no one else wanted to be a neurosurgeon, and all the existing ones quit. That is, if neurosurgeons had to work 23 hour work days and had no breaks. If the training to be a neurosurgeon became 15 years. What would happen in that world. Would there be choas and death? Or the emergence of a new breed of doctors to take their place maybe. You fill in the possible ending for this scenario.

People with GBM will die 3 months sooner. Traumas that need Crani's will just die instead of being a PEGed, Trached, Vent dependent burden on their family. Chronic back pain will continue to persist except now without being operated on. OHHHH THE HUMANITY!

People with GBM will die 3 months sooner. Traumas that need Crani's will just die instead of being a PEGed, Trached, Vent dependent burden on their family. Chronic back pain will continue to persist except now without being operated on. OHHHH THE HUMANITY!

you clearly ve a very narrow view of what neurosurgeons do/and are able to treat. I have seen people given function and life when none existed, and many very good quality of life at that. There are poor outcomes like any field, but there are also very positive, life changing, life improving outcomes as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
you clearly ve a very narrow view of what neurosurgeons do/and are able to treat. I have seen people given function and life when none existed, and many very good quality of life at that. There are poor outcomes like any field, but there are also very positive, life changing, life improving outcomes as well.

Oh wow! Thanks for opening my eyes oh wise medical student. You clearly have a much better understanding of the field of neurosurgery than I. I guess I should really rethink my view of the world now and my perceptions of the medical profession.

PS: Good job not picking up on the facetious tone of my post. I clearly picked the 3 worst parts of neurosurgery...God I hope you are going into family medicine.

Oh wow! Thanks for opening my eyes oh wise medical student. You clearly have a much better understanding of the field of neurosurgery than I. I guess I should really rethink my view of the world now and my perceptions of the medical profession.

PS: Good job not picking up on the facetious tone of my post. I clearly picked the 3 worst parts of neurosurgery...God I hope you are going into family medicine.

-Tone down the arrogance please. Why bring family medicine into anything?

Last edited:
Either way, the OPs question is ridiculous lol. What if taco bell didn't exist? We would all be screwed.

Either way, the OPs question is ridiculous lol. What if taco bell didn't exist? We would all be screwed.

lol true...:) guess I jumped the gun maybe a tad!:laugh:

lol true...:) guess I jumped the gun maybe a tad!:laugh:

Yeah, maybe just a little bit.

Oh and I am not a medical student...and likely have spent longer than you on a neurosurgery service.

You don't know anything about me. Unless you are a PGY 2 neurosurgery resident or higher or a PA/NP that has worked in the field for >10 years, I doubt that you have more neurosurgery experience. But you're not. You are a medical student who just went through the match this year and probably matched into neurosurgery. (Congratulations btw)

The family medicine comment was about sense of humor, not intelligence. You are going to want to lighten up some if you want to survive in a surgical field (especially as a female in a male dominated field).

The OP's post was ridiculous, so I gave a ridiculous answer that was clearly not what he/she was looking for. Notice how I didn't mention anything about Skull base meningiomas, epidural hematomas (without herniation), unruptured aneurysms, DBS, ect...

In some countries, trauma cranis/burr holes/depressed skull fractures are done by general surgeons & spine is done by orthopods, so the neurosurgeons just get the tumors and vascular stuff. I think the world would still go on without us, despite our sometimes inflated sense of worth. :rolleyes:

In some countries, trauma cranis/burr holes/depressed skull fractures are done by general surgeons & spine is done by orthopods, so the neurosurgeons just get the tumors and vascular stuff. I think the world would still go on without us, despite our sometimes inflated sense of worth. :rolleyes:

just tumour, non-trauma vasc, functional....sign me up!

Sounds sexy. Which countries do this...?