What would happen if I were to quit my job at CVS NOW?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by The Doom & Gloom, 09.29.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. The Doom & Gloom

The Doom & Gloom

Pharmacy Student
    Everyday is a nightmare. I hate my job.. currently working as a grad intern, but long story short, I am miserable working for this company mainly because it's so crazy there and I feel like I am not getting any better. Oh, and as for the commute, I drive almost an hour everyday--if I am stuck in traffic, 1.2 hours. With my long-term career in mind, I really should not be with this company.

If I were to quit, does it mean that I am burning all the bridges? Would it be hard to "transfer" to different district? I hate working for a retail pharmacy already. This is not a good sign.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. IWantTheGenetic

IWantTheGenetic 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Yeah, retail sucks. Find a new job then quit. You don't want to have any gaps in employment. It's easier to find a job when you're currently employed.

4. rxwaiting

rxwaiting

Pharmacist
    It not even winter yet, nor are you a pharmacist yet. If you think its bad now at your store, wait a few months LOL.

What bridge are you burning? The one back to CVS? Think about it.

rph3664 likes this.
  5. The Doom & Gloom

The Doom & Gloom

Pharmacy Student
    @rxwaiting
    I guess you are right.

@IWantTheGenetic
    I spoke to my DM and he wants my answer by next week. Realistically speaking, it would be difficult to find another job within that time period, but would it hurt if there was a month gap?

6. Auriel619

Auriel619 7+ Year Member

I was in a very similar situation and just quit a few weeks back. The only reason I was able to find another job was because I took a few weeks off to study for the NAPLEX. It's not easy to find another job outside of retail without a big paycut (most likely will be earning ~70k at least for the first year)

It took me ~3 weeks of searching hardcore to find a job that I liked and paid well. Don't get me wrong, if you're willing to take a BIG pay cut, ~$70k/year, it's not too difficult to find another job, but that's just one man's opinion.

Ultimately you have to decide if you can devote your free time to job searching or if you're better off quitting. I absolutely couldn't work the ~35hrs a week as a grad intern and still have time to apply for other jobs.

And another thing to consider is that the longer you stay in Retail, the more difficult it becomes to get another job in a different field. You start to forget your clinical knowledge and your rotations begin to matter less and less

7. rxglasshalffull

rxglasshalffull 2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    like the other person said, you dont wanna leave a job without finding another one. i stuck with retail until i just recently landed another job. i know its hard...

8. KARM12

KARM12 Super Member 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Suck it up until you have another job lined up.

9. msweph

msweph 2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    What pharmacist jobs pay 70k?

10. DruggieDoRight

DruggieDoRight 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    You'd be unemployed for a while?

11. BenJammin

BenJammin No Apologies 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Now you have no choice but to quit. What school do you go to that teaches you to talk with your current boss about quitting the job he hired you to do?

12. sakigt

sakigt Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Of course there are always exceptions of which the OP may be one but generally its not the schools fault but the student not obtaining a job outside of school when they turn 16 and beyond.

13. BenJammin

BenJammin No Apologies 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm not blaming the school for their role in getting him/her that job, I'm blaming the school for letting him believe that it's okay to talk about quitting your job with your boss. Sure there are exceptions to every rule but how many big corporation bosses are going to steer you away from the job you have now if they like you? You think a really good intern or pharmacist is going to be told by his boss "you should probably find a better job, you're a really good pharmacist and my company doesn't need you"? I don't think that at all.

14. mustang sally

mustang sally 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    That's what I was wondering. If you are willing to be flexible, I'm sure you can find a pharmacist position outside of retail (that will pay more than 70k).
    But still better to find another job prior to quitting.

Also, I agree with the above…you really shouldn't discuss quitting with your boss unless you are actually resigning (though too late now).

15. Auriel619

Auriel619 7+ Year Member

My 70k comment is mostly regarding outside of retail like Med Writing, etc

16. IWantTheGenetic

IWantTheGenetic 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I hope it only takes you 1 month to find a new job. It took me 4 months after I was licensed to find a job. Tell the DM you'd love to continue with the company. Demand more tech help/ask to float around your home. Then look for a new job on your days off.

17. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine Staff Member SDN Administrator 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Verified
    Pharmacist
    SDN
    Author
    hSDN
    I am pretty sure that is a life skill that can't be taught. ;)

18. farmadiazepine

farmadiazepine 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    What happens if you quit your job at CVS now?

Best career move you can ever make in your entire life.

ciestar and rph3664 like this.

About the ads