What would happen if I were to quit my job at CVS NOW?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Doom & Gloom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyday is a nightmare. I hate my job.. currently working as a grad intern, but long story short, I am miserable working for this company mainly because it's so crazy there and I feel like I am not getting any better. Oh, and as for the commute, I drive almost an hour everyday--if I am stuck in traffic, 1.2 hours. With my long-term career in mind, I really should not be with this company.

If I were to quit, does it mean that I am burning all the bridges? Would it be hard to "transfer" to different district? I hate working for a retail pharmacy already. This is not a good sign.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, retail sucks. Find a new job then quit. You don't want to have any gaps in employment. It's easier to find a job when you're currently employed.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyday is a nightmare. I hate my job.. currently working as a grad intern, but long story short, I am miserable working for this company mainly because it's so crazy there and I feel like I am not getting any better. Oh, and as for the commute, I drive almost an hour everyday--if I am stuck in traffic, 1.2 hours. With my long-term career in mind, I really should not be with this company.

If I were to quit, does it mean that I am burning all the bridges? Would it be hard to "transfer" to different district? I hate working for a retail pharmacy already. This is not a good sign.

It not even winter yet, nor are you a pharmacist yet. If you think its bad now at your store, wait a few months LOL.

What bridge are you burning? The one back to CVS? Think about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@rxwaiting
I guess you are right.

@IWantTheGenetic
I spoke to my DM and he wants my answer by next week. Realistically speaking, it would be difficult to find another job within that time period, but would it hurt if there was a month gap?

I was in a very similar situation and just quit a few weeks back. The only reason I was able to find another job was because I took a few weeks off to study for the NAPLEX. It's not easy to find another job outside of retail without a big paycut (most likely will be earning ~70k at least for the first year)

It took me ~3 weeks of searching hardcore to find a job that I liked and paid well. Don't get me wrong, if you're willing to take a BIG pay cut, ~$70k/year, it's not too difficult to find another job, but that's just one man's opinion.

Ultimately you have to decide if you can devote your free time to job searching or if you're better off quitting. I absolutely couldn't work the ~35hrs a week as a grad intern and still have time to apply for other jobs.

And another thing to consider is that the longer you stay in Retail, the more difficult it becomes to get another job in a different field. You start to forget your clinical knowledge and your rotations begin to matter less and less

like the other person said, you dont wanna leave a job without finding another one. i stuck with retail until i just recently landed another job. i know its hard...

Suck it up until you have another job lined up.

@rxwaiting
I guess you are right.

@IWantTheGenetic
I spoke to my DM and he wants my answer by next week. Realistically speaking, it would be difficult to find another job within that time period, but would it hurt if there was a month gap?

Now you have no choice but to quit. What school do you go to that teaches you to talk with your current boss about quitting the job he hired you to do?

Reactions: 2 users
Now you have no choice but to quit. What school do you go to that teaches you to talk with your current boss about quitting the job he hired you to do?

Of course there are always exceptions of which the OP may be one but generally its not the schools fault but the student not obtaining a job outside of school when they turn 16 and beyond.

Of course there are always exceptions of which the OP may be one but generally its not the schools fault but the student not obtaining a job outside of school when they turn 16 and beyond.

I'm not blaming the school for their role in getting him/her that job, I'm blaming the school for letting him believe that it's okay to talk about quitting your job with your boss. Sure there are exceptions to every rule but how many big corporation bosses are going to steer you away from the job you have now if they like you? You think a really good intern or pharmacist is going to be told by his boss "you should probably find a better job, you're a really good pharmacist and my company doesn't need you"? I don't think that at all.

What pharmacist jobs pay 70k?

That's what I was wondering. If you are willing to be flexible, I'm sure you can find a pharmacist position outside of retail (that will pay more than 70k).
But still better to find another job prior to quitting.

Also, I agree with the above…you really shouldn't discuss quitting with your boss unless you are actually resigning (though too late now).

My 70k comment is mostly regarding outside of retail like Med Writing, etc

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope it only takes you 1 month to find a new job. It took me 4 months after I was licensed to find a job. Tell the DM you'd love to continue with the company. Demand more tech help/ask to float around your home. Then look for a new job on your days off.

I'm not blaming the school for their role in getting him/her that job, I'm blaming the school for letting him believe that it's okay to talk about quitting your job with your boss.

I am pretty sure that is a life skill that can't be taught. ;)

What happens if you quit your job at CVS now?

Best career move you can ever make in your entire life.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi
Need help ,Planning on quitting CVS after nearly an year being a staff pharmacist
Farmadiazepine you post is really encouraging
Most of the days I would be put up with lots of stress and pressure
I am considering quitting I am in my late 30's I am fearful of not finding other jobs.

Please help me if I am taking a good decision or not.

Have you considered asking your sup to let you float? The hours are worse, but there is less stress than being a staff pharmacist.

In Saturated areas CVS is going to a new schedule which will roll company wide once it gets staffing everywhere. As far as stress goes it should decrease. I've seen stores in saturated areas that do 2300/week have a pharmacist
9-430
12-5
330-9

Yes thats right 3 of them with only the PIC getting 40hrs a week. New grads getting about 30 hours a week and old staff roughly 32-35 hours a week. Incentives to being a PIC I guess. Pay your loans off kids before this hits because new grad rate 30 hours a week after taxes is about 70-75k take home.

In Saturated areas CVS is going to a new schedule which will roll company wide once it gets staffing everywhere. As far as stress goes it should decrease. I've seen stores in saturated areas that do 2300/week have a pharmacist
9-430
12-5
330-9

Yes thats right 3 of them with only the PIC getting 40hrs a week. New grads getting about 30 hours a week and old staff roughly 32-35 hours a week. Incentives to being a PIC I guess. Pay your loans off kids before this hits because new grad rate 30 hours a week after taxes is about 70-75k take home.
Not sure if I think this will roll out company wide but OMG I would have loved having that overlap when I was PIC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

9-430
12-5
330-9

did u see it with your eyes closed? because the new schedule we have at our 3500/week store got the pharmacist overlap hours cut...

This makes no sense. Why pay two staff rph benefits at 30 hours per week when one could be 40 with benefits and the other 20 without.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sounds nice unless you are working that 12-5 shift. What an epic waste of time to show up for only 5 hours.

For someone with kids in school and a short commute this would be a sweet schedule.

9-430
12-5
330-9

Dang 3 rphs in a cvs? too good to be true, are you sure its not calif specific to rule out time and a half? I was debating doing cpje to get big bucks but I think im too late!!!

For someone with kids in school and a short commute this would be a sweet schedule.

yep 12-5, as soon as rush hour gets rollin get going haha

Dang 3 rphs in a cvs? too good to be true, are you sure its not calif specific to rule out time and a half? I was debating doing cpje to get big bucks but I think im too late!!!

yep 12-5, as soon as rush hour gets rollin get going haha
It's being called the model schedule. It'll roll out slowly, starting in areas where it's over saturated

Sounds nice unless you are working that 12-5 shift. What an epic waste of time to show up for only 5 hours.

for people who can't handle the stress, that would be the ideal shift.

I wonder how this will go. I mean if I'm not working 40 hours a week I want to work as few days as possible! Maybe I could be convinced to work 8-2 (ESP with kids) but other than that, no way!
For the most part Pharmacy Managers will get 40 hour shifts. I doubt a 8-2 will be available. Most pharmacy managers will work Mornings and they'll always have a full shift. This will give an incentive to put people who actually belong as PIC's instead of anyone with a license. Like I said some areas have already started this. Not many but some.

for people who can't handle the stress, that would be the ideal shift.

I'm just thinking bang for the buck. If I have to get dressed, drop off my kids (not in school yet), commute, etc, I get a lot more out of a 10, 12, or 13 hour shift than a piddly 5. Long shifts suck, but they are worth it IMHO.

I'm just thinking bang for the buck. If I have to get dressed, drop off my kids (not in school yet), commute, etc, I get a lot more out of a 10, 12, or 13 hour shift than a piddly 5. Long shifts suck, but they are worth it IMHO.
I agree. About 80% of my shifts are 13.5 hour shifts (excluding weekends). I'm so used to them that 8 hour shifts seem like baby shifts.

When is this coming to South Florida? I hope not soon as i still have some student loans

I hope to one day make a documentary called the life of a retail pharmacist and interview people at pharmacy school, as an intern, as a retail pharmacist.

When is this coming to South Florida? I hope not soon as i still have some student loans
Depends on saturation and your Regional manager and pharmacy Supervisor. Could be a year or 2 in some areas.

Depends on saturation and your Regional manager and pharmacy Supervisor. Could be a year or 2 in some areas.

So it's kind of similar to the recent changes Walmart made to their pharmacist scheduling system? But all pharmacists will still receive benefits, even those working only 20-25 hrs/week?

So it's kind of similar to the recent changes Walmart made to their pharmacist scheduling system? But all pharmacists will still receive benefits, even those working only 20-25 hrs/week?
I don't know anything about the benefits but knowing CVS I doubt it. 20-25 will be the people who are staffs right now who don't give 2 sh*ts about the pharmacy, horrible floaters and maybe even the older PICs who have no idea what they're doing from the longs days. It's incentives for new grads and the better pharmacists to want to be PICs and at the stores more and use the trouble pharmacists more as reliefs or fillins like the 5 hour or 6 hour shifts.
My source is pretty good, I even posted about the QV changes about 2 months before it rolled you can go through my profile. As far as when this goes out everywhere I have no Idea.

Is it the same thing as Roster Guidelines.? Was told that was discussed in meeting with rx supervisors in a nearby district?