What would I have to score on the MCAT to apply to both DO and MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LukaDoncicLuk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
505+ is what you should aim for for DO, 510+ for MD

I just got spooked by Touro's matriculant average for class of 2020 (510.5). It's actually higher than my undergrad institution which is really highly ranked but has a horrible mcat median for some reason (like 508 lol)

Members don't see this ad :)
510 average means that 50% of the class scored less than that. Im not sure where you got that number from because I haven't seen a DO schools average that high. I know DMUs average is 507, thats about it. Just don't rush the test and do the best you can on it, thats all you can do! Make sure your ECs are up to par and you'll be good to go. Is your UG institution a MD or DO?

510 average means that 50% of the class scored less than that. Im not sure where you got that number from because I haven't seen a DO schools average that high. I know DMUs average is 507, thats about it. Just don't rush the test and do the best you can on it, thats all you can do! Make sure your ECs are up to par and you'll be good to go. Is your UG institution a MD or DO?

Top 10 MD. Maybe last year was a fluke.

Can't post links on this account for some reason but if you just google tucom-CA and look at class of 2020 stats it will corroborate what I said.
I found the MCAT average for class of 2020 there although it looks like it dropped a bit for 2021.

I'm feeling good about my MCAT prep. Hitting 510+ on NS/Kaplan and quit my job to study full time for the next month. With luck I'll hopefully be able to get a 510. Thanks for the feedback and encouragement.

Top 10 MD. Maybe last year was a fluke.

Can't post links on this account for some reason but if you just google tucom-CA and look at class of 2020 stats it will corroborate what I said.
I found the MCAT average for class of 2020 there although it looks like it dropped a bit for 2021.

I'm feeling good about my MCAT prep. Hitting 510+ on NS/Kaplan and quit my job to study full time for the next month. With luck I'll hopefully be able to get a 510. Thanks for the feedback and encouragement.

If youre hitting 510s on the Kaplan FLs youre in good shape, their tests are usually harder than the AAMC practice ones. Best of luck, youll nail it

Reactions: 1 user
If youre hitting 510s on the Kaplan FLs youre in good shape, their tests are usually harder than the AAMC practice ones. Best of luck, youll nail it
Yeah they're really inconsistent though. I have one left to take. I got a 506 on the first one and a 512 on the second one. 508 on first Next Step with two weeks of studying and 511 after a month or so. Can't be too neurotic about test scores though I'll know where I stand when the start the AAMC full lengths.

Yeah they're really inconsistent though. I have one left to take. I got a 506 on the first one and a 512 on the second one. 508 on first Next Step with two weeks of studying and 511 after a month or so. Can't be too neurotic about test scores though I'll know where I stand when the start the AAMC full lengths.

You’re gonna’ kill it! Keep working hard.

Reactions: 1 users
You're fine for lower tier MD schools if you can get a 510+ stat-wise. I would say 95% acceptance for DO stat-wise and EC-wise.

Good, but there’s other factors you gotta take in consideration before being a doctor. One, the money. Medical school is competitive, and if you’re not the cream of the crop, you’ll be taking home about 96,000-150,000 a year after taxes. Not bad comparing yourself to a $35,000 a year job, but terrible if you’re looking at the heffs of industry and business who own hundred million dollar yachts. Is living in that salary range good? If you want a nice suburban house and a midclass BMW with a summer lake boat out in Lake Holiday, sure is, but once you get older, you start kicking yourself for not getting more. Two, the health risks. Superbacteria with impregnable cell walls are becoming more commonplace, and once they hit your office, it’s the plague all over again. O.K., well maybe not the plague, but you don’t to be the first to go under with a new deadly strain... Third, loans. After taxes, you’ll actually be making less than a teacher will till they’re all paid off. What does that mean? If you spread it furthest, you still can’t buy that new Xbox. If you consolidate, after seven years, you can play Halo all over again. So up till your late 30’s-early 40’s, you’ll be running a tight ship while everyone else was hoarding in thousands daily on that new hot tech stock, partying in the hottest LA bars with the hottest women, having children out of wedlock, and snorting the best Columbian cocaine while you were still hanging on to threads thinking about hooking up with cutesie Darlie who was thinking about hooking up with your best friend while you were fantasizing about marrying her and giving her all your love. So in short, even if you’re parents have money and you’re opening your own practice after residency without debt, there’s other factors that you got to take into consideration. One, time. Take home work is mandatory, and you’ll be spending several hours after work doing and looking at paperwork. The hours. 40 hours a week may not seem that much, but no doctor really works 40 hours a week, unless you’re working for someone or a hospital, which means less pay. Overhead, taxes, utilities, insurance, add up. Employees too. Each secretary at least $30,000 if you want your clients coming back. Thinking about hiring a nurse? Be ready to cough up at least $40,000 for each one. Thinking about running an overhaul clinic? Each primary care doctor at least $120,000 a year, plus insurance and government payout cuts means you’ll be plowing fields for meal rations. Thinking about getting away with it with insurance? Think again, a judge can order you to pay out of your pocket, plus put you in some serious jail time, meaning your life will be recorded as being imprisoned in school and state correctional facilities. Thinking about blaming it on the other doctors and getting away with it while you’re sipping Darjeeling on your summer patio deck? Think again, as the CEO of your clinic, if your ship’s going down, so are you. Thinking about specializing and reaping in the profits on those oil field surgeries? Think again, congress is forcing insurance companies to cut back on repeat surgeries and making general and specialty clinics harder to run like a business due to rising malpractice rates. Just some things to consider before...

Plus, if you’re graduating from a Carbbean medical school, no major city will hire you, and you’ll be living the rest of your life Hester Prynned in refuge rural community with high std and narcotics use rates.

Good, but there’s other factors you gotta take in consideration before being a doctor. One, the money. Medical school is competitive, and if you’re not the cream of the crop, you’ll be taking home about 96,000-150,000 a year after taxes. Not bad comparing yourself to a $35,000 a year job, but terrible if you’re looking at the heffs of industry and business who own hundred million dollar yachts. Is living in that salary range good? If you want a nice suburban house and a midclass BMW with a summer lake boat out in Lake Holiday, sure is, but once you get older, you start kicking yourself for not getting more. Two, the health risks. Superbacteria with impregnable cell walls are becoming more commonplace, and once they hit your office, it’s the plague all over again. O.K., well maybe not the plague, but you don’t to be the first to go under with a new deadly strain... Third, loans. After taxes, you’ll actually be making less than a teacher will till they’re all paid off. What does that mean? If you spread it furthest, you still can’t buy that new Xbox. If you consolidate, after seven years, you can play Halo all over again. So up till your late 30’s-early 40’s, you’ll be running a tight ship while everyone else was hoarding in thousands daily on that new hot tech stock, partying in the hottest LA bars with the hottest women, having children out of wedlock, and snorting the best Columbian cocaine while you were still hanging on to threads thinking about hooking up with cutesie Darlie who was thinking about hooking up with your best friend while you were fantasizing about marrying her and giving her all your love. So in short, even if you’re parents have money and you’re opening your own practice after residency without debt, there’s other factors that you got to take into consideration. One, time. Take home work is mandatory, and you’ll be spending several hours after work doing and looking at paperwork. The hours. 40 hours a week may not seem that much, but no doctor really works 40 hours a week, unless you’re working for someone or a hospital, which means less pay. Overhead, taxes, utilities, insurance, add up. Employees too. Each secretary at least $30,000 if you want your clients coming back. Thinking about hiring a nurse? Be ready to cough up at least $40,000 for each one. Thinking about running an overhaul clinic? Each primary care doctor at least $120,000 a year, plus insurance and government payout cuts means you’ll be plowing fields for meal rations. Thinking about getting away with it with insurance? Think again, a judge can order you to pay out of your pocket, plus put you in some serious jail time, meaning your life will be recorded as being imprisoned in school and state correctional facilities. Thinking about blaming it on the other doctors and getting away with it while you’re sipping Darjeeling on your summer patio deck? Think again, as the CEO of your clinic, if your ship’s going down, so are you. Thinking about specializing and reaping in the profits on those oil field surgeries? Think again, congress is forcing insurance companies to cut back on repeat surgeries and making general and specialty clinics harder to run like a business due to rising malpractice rates. Just some things to consider before...
mb5hn.jpg

So up till your late 30’s-early 40’s, you’ll be running a tight ship while everyone else was hoarding in thousands daily on that new hot tech stock...
Perhaps you're a troll, but I guess I want to know who's able to hoard 1000s DAILY on tech stock. I would go that route. Seems easy and legit if money is my motive. I assume you're currently doing this - hoarding 1000s DAILY on tech stock - because it's easy. Easier than anything else. Right? I also assume you own a hundred million dollar yacht. Right?

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Touro-CA is an outlier for DO schools. CA MD schools are highly competitive, so they got a TON of high quality in-state applicants.

Touro-CA is an outlier for DO schools. CA MD schools are highly competitive, so they got a TON of high quality in-state applicants.

Not really. Multiple DO schools are starting to edge up towards the 508-510 range.

It’s not common yet, but it’s not really an outlier.

510 average means that 50% of the class scored less than that. Im not sure where you got that number from because I haven't seen a DO schools average that high. I know DMUs average is 507, thats about it.

Seems you're confusing average (usually interpreted as the mean) with median. Regardless, the numbers for Touro-CA are posted here:

Demographics - Touro University, California

510.5 avg for Class of 2020 and 507 avg for Class of 2021. Class of 2021 was more in line with the other DO schools with higher MCAT avgs (e.g. DMU w/ 507, Touro NY, CCOM w/ 506, Western CA w/ 506). The numbers are climbing for these more established schools, as alluded to by the poster above.

With those GPAs OP you probably will need a 515+ to really have a shot at MD. For DO a 500+ will probably land you somewhere but a 505+ is better.

Hey everyone. Really appreciate the feedback I've gotten so far. I'm definitely shooting for a 515+ because I would love the chance to apply to both DO and MD schools.

How predictive are the AAMC full length practice tests? I just took my first one (AAMC FL1) and was pleasantly surprised with my score.

I scored 3 points below my FL2. I did not take FL1, and FL3 didn't exist.

Your mileage may vary. Friends of mine scored 4 points over their FL exams.

Hey everyone. Really appreciate the feedback I've gotten so far. I'm definitely shooting for a 515+ because I would love the chance to apply to both DO and MD schools.

How predictive are the AAMC full length practice tests? I just took my first one (AAMC FL1) and was pleasantly surprised with my score.

I scored 3 points below my FL2. I did not take FL1, and FL3 didn't exist.

Cool thanks. I suppose I'll have a better idea after taking all three of the tests. I got a 517 so I'm sure there is more variation at the top percentiles since I'm pretty sure I got really lucky.

Agreed. I was 7 points above my AAMC FL practice test and had friends that were 4+ points lower. Ironically I was about at my score of that very first FL they made that everyone said was way easier than the real thing.

OP if you hit 517 on an AAMC I would keep at it studying because you have a chance at a big score.

Seems you're confusing average (usually interpreted as the mean) with median. Regardless, the numbers for Touro-CA are posted here:

Demographics - Touro University, California

510.5 avg for Class of 2020 and 507 avg for Class of 2021. Class of 2021 was more in line with the other DO schools with higher MCAT avgs (e.g. DMU w/ 507, Touro NY, CCOM w/ 506, Western CA w/ 506). The numbers are climbing for these more established schools, as alluded to by the poster above.
I hope some Touro students can chime in on my hunch, but my school saw a similar decline to ~national median due to the number of SMP students we accepted.
RVU, AZCOM, CCOM, Touro-NY, and few other COMs have MCAT scores approaching the lower end of MD schools; 507-510 range.

Reactions: 2 users
Agreed. I was 7 points above my AAMC FL practice test and had friends that were 4+ points lower. Ironically I was about at my score of that very first FL they made that everyone said was way easier than the real thing.

OP if you hit 517 on an AAMC I would keep at it studying because you have a chance at a big score.

Definitely if anything it's made me even more neurotic/motivated to study because now if I score lower than fl1 i'll be kicking myself. I took a few hours off to go to the gym but I'm going to blast through the reddit p/s doc for the rest of the night.

I'll have 37 days of full time studying left before my test date. I'm going to make every day count.

Hey Everyone,

I'm planning on applying to mostly DO schools (Touro/Western are top choices because I want to stay in CA if possible and they match to a lot of CA residencies) but am holding out hope on applying to a few very low tier MD schools. My gpa is bad (c 3.38 s 3.45) at a top tier UC and with a strong upward trend (almost all A/A-s in upper div molecular bio courses). I have research, volunteer and EMT epxerience but no publications. Pretty poor application overall but I'm holding out hope due to how my MCAT prep is going. I'm taking it on May18th and have been doing well on practice exams.

Am I wrong to feel confident in getting some II's and maybe even an interview from DO schools if I can break 510 on the MCAT? How much higher would I have to score to get some looks from MD schools? 512+? 515+?

Obviously have no hope for state schools because I am a California resident.

EDIT: ORM. Need to include that for obvious reasons
I had similar gpa to you. I made a 512 and got interviews/acceptances to 5/7 DO schools, and interviewed at both the MD schools where I applied.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

I had similar gpa to you. I made a 512 and got interviews/acceptances to 5/7 DO schools, and interviewed at both the MD schools where I applied.

What MD schools did you apply to if you don't mind me asking? I'm going to compile a list of potential MD schools that I could apply to if I real MCAT is anything close to the aamc fl1 i took yesterday. I will probably end up applying to UCD, Loma Linda, UCI ( I know my gpa is WAY below the average) Cal Northstate, and CUSM. Are there any high yield schools outside of California for low gpa/ high MCAT?

What MD schools did you apply to if you don't mind me asking? I'm going to compile a list of potential MD schools that I could apply to if I real MCAT is anything close to the aamc fl1 i took yesterday. I will probably end up applying to UCD, Loma Linda, UCI ( I know my gpa is WAY below the average) Cal Northstate, and CUSM. Are there any high yield schools outside of California for low gpa/ hight MCAT?
U of U (state school) and Penn State in Hershey, PA