What would it take to declare state residency in Pennsylvania?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. H

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, let's assume I get into U PITT, how hard would it be for me change my residecy to Penn? What would I have to do?
I'm notgoing to send the secondary in if this won't work.
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not really sure, but I think you need to live somewhere for at least a year and pay taxes there or have parents who live there and claim you as a dependant.

If you haven't lived in PA for the last few years, and if you are at all dependent on your parents and they don't live in PA, there is no chance.

Otherwise, everyone would just change their residency at the last second to whatever state school they got into.

Members don't see this ad :)
but how to pay taxes?

tha means I need a job or a house am I right?

but what about living there for a year as a student and then applying for residency?

Its like 34 K for out of state!

A student is not a legal resident. Unless you did the paperwork before you went to school, changing your residency, you are still a legal resident where you were raised.

well what if you get a job and pay the taxes?

what i would do would be to get a job over the summer and try to rent an apartment so that it looks like you lead a life there outside of school- then go to school in the fall. i dont know if this would work- but it would be a good effort.

p

I don't think that would work. Nearly all states require you to live in their state as a self supporting individual for one year before becoming a resident. Being a full-time student doesn't count.

I'm not denying that $34K is a ton of money, but where else are you going to go for much else? I see you are from Illinois. UIC and SIU are your only inexpensive options. Otherwise, be prepared to pay over $30,000.

So true. It's too bad because PA has some kick-ass schools with PA-resident tuition. Temple and Pitt both have great reps and facilities. It sucks that there's no easy way around declaring your residency. :(

Originally posted by CaNEM
If you haven't lived in PA for the last few years, and if you are at all dependent on your parents and they don't live in PA, there is no chance.

Otherwise, everyone would just change their residency at the last second to whatever state school they got into.

Generally, schools ask for proof of residency like this:
*voter registration
*vehicle registration
*proof of local bank account
and of course,
*address a phone number
Call the school and find out if you defer admission for a year and live there-working and/or going to school, can you meet in-state residency requirements. Good luck! And let the rest of us living in poor states with no medical schools what you find out.

Did anyone do any follow up to see how hard it is to change residency status to try to get in state tuition?