What would make a better "challenge" essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MangoTea8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
[PLEASE DON'T QUOTE]
Hey everyone, just wanted to get some thoughts on what I should use as my essay for secondaries that ask about a challenge you have faced.
1 - I could discuss moving to the US when I was 12 and having to learn English/translating for my parents after I picked it up faster than them. I think this certainly was a challenge, but it also was many years ago so I feel kind of silly talking about it.
2 - I could talk about a recent challenge I faced at my job as a researcher, having to coordinate a huge study across many departments in the hospital and making sure it ran smoothly to ensure patient safety. I am leaning more towards this one but I feel like it's not as personal as the first option.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with the first one. Like you said it's more personal. Plus, you can still talk about what you learned from the experience and how it shaped you, regardless of how long ago it was.

[PLEASE DON'T QUOTE]
Hey everyone, just wanted to get some thoughts on what I should use as my essay for secondaries that ask about a challenge you have faced.
1 - I could discuss moving to the US when I was 12 and having to learn English/translating for my parents after I picked it up faster than them. I think this certainly was a challenge, but it also was many years ago so I feel kind of silly talking about it.
2 - I could talk about a recent challenge I faced at my job as a researcher, having to coordinate a huge study across many departments in the hospital and making sure it ran smoothly to ensure patient safety. I am leaning more towards this one but I feel like it's not as personal as the first option.
Thank you!
#1 all the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go with the first one. Like you said it's more personal. Plus, you can still talk about what you learned from the experience and how it shaped you, regardless of how long ago it was.

#1 all the way.

I really want to write about the first one, just wasn't sure how it will be perceived. You don't think it will sound trivial since the challenge occurred when I was a child?

I really want to write about the first one, just wasn't sure how it will be perceived. You don't think it will sound trivial since the challenge occurred when I was a child?
It doesn't sound trivial at all, at least not to me. But I'm sure both essays could be good so I wouldn't fret too much. Why don't you write an essay for each and see which one you like better?