What would prevent a NP/PA from opening their own clinic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennischamp822

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are supposedly massive shortages in family practice, psychiatry and dermatology.

Nurse practitioners and PAs can independently practice in slightly less than half the states.

If the issue is medical knowledge, the NP/PA can go through the best medical education resources (Uworld, First Aid, Pathoma, Sketchy, Online MedEd etc) to get the core information that medical school teaches.

If it is dealing with complex problems or emergencies, the NP/PA can always refer those out to the doctor or emergency room.

So the question is: what is preventing this model from working?

Edit: I ask because a friend of mine just got booted from med school for non-academic reasons and he is either going to: 1. Go carib or 2. Do NP. Both would cost around the same, but NP would take more time even going through the accelerated programs.

Nothing is stopping them. I've met two NPs who have their own practice setups. One is an NP, whose husband is a retired ortho surgeon acting as 'medical director', who does botox injections and dermabrasions all day - making over $150K. The other is a Psych NP with a collaboration agreement that clears well over $200K per year.

Members don't see this ad :)
JFC. It's called on the job training.

There's no amount of UWorld FA Pathomoa U2D that is going to make you clincally competent. If there was my patients would be Dr. Google by now when they come in with their WebMD articles

Especially since you mentioned derm. You can't learn rashes from a book. Rashes are hard, actually. We need derms for rashes alone, which isn't to say it's all they do but the rest of us have no clue.

NP is better than Carib. NPs can do stuff, fine. But don't think for a second that if he reads the same stuff as you he's going to approximate an MD.

Last edited:

NP is better than Carib

Uh no. Not if that carrib MD was good enough to actually land a US residency and get through it. Essentially what your saying in that case is that NP training is better than a US residency training, which you quite obviously would not agree with.

Reactions: 1 user
Uh no. Not if that carrib MD was good enough to actually land a US residency and get through it. Essentially what your saying in that case is that NP training is better than a US residency training, which you quite obviously would not agree with.

I meant more for job security and being sure you're gonna graduate and put food on the table.

Carrib diploma mills should be seen as more of a way to accumulate debt money to throw away. NP route will lead to a paying job.

also I remember @Goro saying that someone who got kicked from a US MD or DO and went Carib is not going to find any love in the match