What would you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wishingwell

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been blessed with being accepted to numerous schools here in Texas. I am now trying to decide between attending ut Houston or uthsc San Antonio. I think I would choose Houston excluding extraneous factors, however I am from San Antonio. It's going to be something like a minimum 40k difference by living expenses alone for 4 years.

Every house has its history, and mine is the same, although definitely livable. Actually, I'm living at home now and work close to 60 hours a week without a problem, parents leave me alone, no "rules". I also always do all of my studying on campus as opposed to my apartment/dorm/ sleeping area.

In short, what would you choose and why? Houston or San Antonio while living at home for 4 years?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd choose the place that I saw myself happiest. It's easy to make up the 40k once you're practicing, so do what won't make you unhappy for 4 years.

I have a high opinion of UT H. Go there if you can stand the humidity.

So I've been blessed with being accepted to numerous schools here in Texas. I am now trying to decide between attending ut Houston or uthsc San Antonio. I think I would choose Houston excluding extraneous factors, however I am from San Antonio. It's going to be something like a minimum 40k difference by living expenses alone for 4 years.

Every house has its history, and mine is the same, although definitely livable. Actually, I'm living at home now and work close to 60 hours a week without a problem, parents leave me alone, no "rules". I also always do all of my studying on campus as opposed to my apartment/dorm/ sleeping area.

In short, what would you choose and why? Houston or San Antonio while living at home for 4 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a high opinion of UT H. Go there if you can stand the humidity.

Can I ask you the reason(s) behind your opinion? Not that I am questioning the validity of your opinion, just that I am curious to why some people like UTH over UTHSCSA.

I'd choose the place that I saw myself happiest. It's easy to make up the 40k once you're practicing, so do what won't make you unhappy for 4 years.

I can see myself being just fine at either of these schools. Block weeks at Houston don't scare me too much, and social stigma of living at home doesn't really bother me at all. I just think in Houston I can possibly be a liiiiiittle more dedicated by not worrying about waking others and having my own place to sleep. Maybe I will be forced to go out and take advantage of events since I won't get interaction otherwise. But I'm not sure if that is worth 40k.

Thank you both for your replies though!!

It's oblique to Medicine. When I lived in TX UT H had a better program in my discipline.

Living at home does have its advantages; Riverwalk in San Antonio is beautiful.

As with any med school...how is your fit to the schools? Curriculum? Match lists? What do the current students say about their own schools? What does your gut tell you?

Can I ask you the reason(s) behind your opinion? Not that I am questioning the validity of your opinion, just that I am curious to why some people like UTH over UTHSCSA.

I can see myself being just fine at either of these schools. Block weeks at Houston don't scare me too much, and social stigma of living at home doesn't really bother me at all. I just think in Houston I can possibly be a liiiiiittle more dedicated by not worrying about waking others and having my own place to sleep. Maybe I will be forced to go out and take advantage of events since I won't get interaction otherwise. But I'm not sure if that is worth 40k.

Thank you both for your replies though!!

They are functionally the same regarding residency. I would go where you would prefer to live and be done with it. If you are saying, it makes no difference, flip a coin. I know a lot of MS4s from both schools applying Vascular and Gen Surg. You are going to be fine at either.