What would you do differently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_asdrubal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you could go back to your first day of college, what would you do differently regarding pre-med and preparing for medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

If you could go back to your first day of college, what would you do differently regarding pre-med and preparing for medical school?

I'd avoid a lot of the toxic premeds I encountered... Would also have not made the mistake of taking classes that sounded interesting without doing more research on the class first. Could've avoided a few painfully boring classes that way. It's like the professors are using clickbait for their classes lol.

Reactions: 1 users
- get into a research lab early and stick with it. I think it gets fun the longer you do it and more opportunities open up.
- find a hobby that can help destress you
- study hard for classes not only for the sake of getting good grades but also to retain the information
- enjoy college cuz you only experience undergrad once LOL

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would have told myself to worry less about a few less than ideal grades. Beating myself up for a B+ in some lab course (random example) just wasn't worth the time or energy. Sometimes it's hard to see the big picture.

I would have gotten a minor in computer science, and tried to do research in computational neuroscience or biology, which is very interesting. Programming is a useful skill to have.

I would have said: screw this, partied my ass off and then a few years later invest everything in bitcoin.

Reactions: 4 users
Get in therapy, on meds for bipolar and go to the resource center and get help with my study skills.

I would’ve done a much easier major, like psych, to study like crazy for my BCPM classes. Also would’ve started MCAT studying after graduation, not before.

- get into a research lab early and stick with it. I think it gets fun the longer you do it and more opportunities open up.
- find a hobby that can help destress you
- study hard for classes not only for the sake of getting good grades but also to retain the information
- enjoy college cuz you only experience undergrad once LOL

Agree with the above, and:

-Wouldve studied earlier for the MCAT and wouldve taken it earlier (I took it senior of college which I think most people take it in junior year so they can enter med school after graduating)
-Wouldve majored in something other than Biology. Wouldve maybe done cell and molecular, or do something non science. Perhaps something I couldve actually gotten a job with.
-Wouldve put more thought into my future courses I was going to take and how it affects my life, ex: if it assists with MCAT, if its boring, if im interested, etc.

Would have likely studied computer science instead. I think I would have enjoyed it but honestly I'm terrible at math do I don't think I'd have passed.

I also would have actually tried during undergrad instead of skipping every class and then need to get very lucky years later to get in.

I would have split my time 50/50 studying and partying. My grades for sure could have been better if I just focused a little bit more. Definitely would have gotten more involved in research too. And I wouldn't have spent so much time "suffering" through a "hangover" now that I'm in the later half of my 20s and know what a real hangover is.

Reactions: 1 user
Would've told myself to not worry about grades as much. There was a time I got a B+ on a physics test and thought it was the end of my premed career....