What would you do if you couldn't do dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTacoElf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious about your answers b/c this is a common interview question. For me i would most likely try and get into medical school and enter a speciality that was most like dentistry (autonomy, business operation, hands on but not too serious (i.e. surgery)).

Members don't see this ad.

I've always wanted try Paleontology or archeology, digging up the past would be cool.

Or some type of job that allows for international travel?

I'm currently in Information Technology so it is likely that I would stay in this field.

Going to medical school doesn't sound like a bad deal, but I'm already 23 and lacking prereq's so I don't want to wait until I'm 33 before I finally get out of my residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would probably do dental assisting until I got accepted to dental school. If there was no chance of that, then apply for dental hygiene school.
Otherwise a community college teacher teaching intro biology and chemistry. I am a mechanical engineer and doubt that I would ever go back to doing that.

steps after (i hope not) rejection:

1. plummel the admissions office with calls and beggings
2. camp out in front of the admissions office wearing a sign "i really wanna be a dentist but *** doesn't want me to. please go inside and disagree with their decision. muahz."
3. get my molars extracted and send them to the school to show my devotion

4.try again next year. in the meantime, do more dental assisting or research to pad up the gpa

I'd probably shoot for becoming an optometrist.

If I don't get accepted to dental schools, I will sleep with admission committees' wives! And if this is not gonna work, then I'll give up and become a construction worker :D

I took the MCAT before and I think it is still valid, I would try to be a general surgeon. If not that, I would go dental hygiene.

I would be either a Pro-Tennis player, or Action Movie Director.

John Wooooo Baby! :D

If $ wasn't an issue, I'd fish and exercise all day. Since $ doesn't grow on any trees in my lawn, I would be a chef, physical therapist, or personal trainer.

Ha. That's funny. I'd be a chef too.

Anyway, is there any GOOD websites out there (I found some blah ones) that give example interview questions w/ any type of responces, other than the minimal examples on SDN?

I'd be a pilot. I already am on that road and have all my ratings up to instructor. I'm thinking of doing a 180 and going into dentistry, but I'm 23 and need the pre req's so I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to wait untill I'm 29 to make some money.