Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What would you do if you don't get accepted to Pharm. School?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by lymmys, Jan 1, 2009.

1. lymmys

lymmys It wasn't me!
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Hey guys,

I just wonder what would you do if you don't get accepted to Pharm. School this year. Assuming that this is your first time applying.

I think this is one of the common question for interview also.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dumbguy

2+ Year Member

I would give up and try nursing.

4. argon18

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I would re-apply next year. In the meantime I will get more experience in the pharmacy field.

5. WhiteSnows

WhiteSnows Think Right and Grow Rich
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Finish my B.S in Chemistry, and reapply next year.

6. evilolive

evilolive Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Get a PsyD.

7. pharmDlinz84

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I've had that same question now since I got my first rejection letter :(. But i was reading other threads and people are like on their 3 year applying... so since I really want this I will re-apply next year.. maybe a 3rd year too... then if nothing... i'll probably come here (SDN) and re-ask your same question :):xf:

8. stealthy1

5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I'm already in Biochemistry, and if I don't get into Pharmacology nor Pharmacy, then I guess I'll stay in Biochem.

9. PharmDKid89

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I'm switching to physician assistant if I don't get in. Very good pay and less rigorous, heck even in some areas physician assistants can make more money than a pharmacist..

10. ValeRx

ValeRx PharmD
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Never be seen nor heard from again.

11. allthaticanbe

allthaticanbe Canadian
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Work on GPA and other things and apply again. Maybe go get a masters. But I will apply for two years before I try something else.

12. cdcd67

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Where is that?

13. anyr

anyr BOSS FIGHT
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Weep for a day and then reapply next year.

14. Jooks

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    physician assistant would have been my next choice had I not gotten in...Easier way to become an MD as well due to the the parrallel courses both must know

15. tootoo30

tootoo30 Account Closed!
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Take some more classes and apply to only 3 year pharmacy schools to make up for the year lost. Oh and take the PCAT for the first time LOL

16. diastole

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'd probably work in a pharmacy and maybe do some volunteer work though I'm kind of torn about that. I would do far more good if I went back into teaching and filled one of those science positions that go unfilled because there is a shortage of science teachers. But it would benefit me personally improving the weak spots in my application. Hopefully, I will get in this year so I won't have to decide.

17. suiterhapsody34

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I will finish up my last year of college and get my degree in Chemistry. I also will apply again next year and hopefully gain more pharmacy experience.

18. AlethaNicole

Pre-Pharmacy
    I will probably do like the others who posted before me. Figure out how I can get in next year and keep working as a pharmacy technician and see how I can "supe" up my resume. :)

19. TTUMike

TTUMike Accepted Pharmacy Student
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
  20. TTUMike

TTUMike Accepted Pharmacy Student
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
  21. LostTexan

LostTexan Accepted Pharmacy Student
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I was in this boat last year. I had one interview, was waitlisted and ultimately didn't get in. I knew pharmacy was the right career path for me so I looked at my application carefully and what I could improve within a year.
    I had a mediocre GPA (3.0) and I had over 120 credits so I knew I wouldn't be able to drastically improve it within 2 semesters. However, since I work a full and part time job (60 hrs/wk), I was always just taking 9 cr hours/semester. Since most pharmacy semesters are 18 credits I wanted to demonstrate that I could handle a courseload of the same credits. So, while working both jobs, I took 18 credits this past summer and did extremely well in all the classes.
    Commitment to the community is becoming increasingly important and is a very quick way to make you a more competitive applicant. I have always enjoyed volunteering but I didn't have many activities where I had held a leadership position. To remedy this, I became a committee chair for two organizations and organized my own supply drive for a homeless shelter in addition to volunteering at Ronald McDonald House, Muscular Dystrophy, and a local elementary school.
    Although my PCAT composite was competitive, my chemistry score was really low. I studied my butt off and retook the test. Although my composite only came up a few points, my chemistry score doubled.
    Additionally, I applied much earlier this year. Last year I didn't send out my applications until December so I had already missed the deadlines for some schools. This year I submitted PharmCAS in September and everything else went out by October.
    Luckily, my lack of sleep and a social life this past year paid off. I have been accepted to one school and have another interview coming up in Jan. Being rejected the first year made me want it that much more. If you don't get in this year don't give up!

22. phar2013

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    PA is a good field as well. But, I have never heard of a PA making more than a pharmacist. PAs normally make around the same or a little more as a nurse practioner. I have heard of AAs making around or a little more than pharmacists. Good luck to you PharmDKid89. Our dreams will come true as long we stay focused and give it our all. But, whatever it is--it must be in the heart.

23. SHC1984

SHC1984 Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Agreed, plus as a PA you get to do all the nasty stuff a nurse gets to do....yay! NOT! :laugh:

If I don't get into Pharmacy I will try getting a position as a pharm sales rep....I have heard some sales reps making more than pharmacist too but NOT sure if thats true or not...kinda doubt it...but not sure.