What would you do if you had to pay tuition for Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My brother is in law school. He just got an offer for an internship next summer for $2200/week. I guess an internsihp is different, but that's over $110,000 a year. My brother is first in his class, though. He said that the average for lawyers out of school is more like $70k.

See my post a few back. The "average" is even lower than that, but average is meaningless in these apple and orange comparisons.

Members don't see this ad.

DMC depends on the cheap labor of residents. (Especially those from Wayne State). Hospitals are quite happy about the situation right now.

so happy in fact, that they've already sacrificed one residency program and tried to kill the rest of them...

...why hasn't Duggan been fired yet?

JohnMadden said:
This is not a doom and gloom thread by any means. I heard this idea proposed at an academic medical center while working on a consulting engagement. I was intrigued and slightly disturbed by the idea so I contacted some of my old health policy colleagues. This "asinine" idea has been proposed by seemingly intelligent and well educated people.

Was anyone able to find out if there are tuition costs for residents in Canada?

One of the arguments made for shifting some of the costs associated with GME in the U.S. relates to the increased liability/malpractice insurance for residents and the mistakes that they will make while learning. Do I think this justifies tuition? Heck No. However, while everyone talks about how hospitals are "getting over", it is important to realize that one good lawyer can set a hospital back a few million pretty quickly for a resident's mistakes (in larger cities). I would imagine that residents on average make more mistakes that attendings, but I have no data to support this thought.

Huh? What was that? I'm sorry...you kind of lost me for a second there.
Boi-Hole.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd hunt for empty beds and sleep there, i'd steal hospital food, and wear scrubs everywhere.. every once in a while i'd go for a nice dinner out in the hospital cafeteria...

I'd hunt for empty beds and sleep there, i'd steal hospital food, and wear scrubs everywhere.. every once in a while i'd go for a nice dinner out in the hospital cafeteria...

For the record, I wear scrubs everywhere now.

Emergency Medicine, Baby!

I wear them on off-service rotations too, even on the rotation where one of the attendings suggested that I wear a shirt and a tie. Hey, it was a suggestion and he never got the nerve to order me to wear a tie...I would have refused of course but that's just me.