What Would You Do, If You Were Me???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jol2008

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Pre-Dents:
I have applied to UCLA and USC. I haven't heard from anyone, yet. I submitted AADSAS August 29 and took the DAT October 28 and my scores are as follows:
RC 15
QR 17
PAT 17
OC 24
GC 23
BIO 21

AA 20
TS 23

GPA: 4.0

I called USC to ask whether they recommend a retake on the DAT, the admossion counselor said my scores are consistent except for the RC section. He also said that RC is not the most critical section and it's up to me whether I want to retake to improve my RC score. At the end, he said that a retake is not absolutely necessary. He said when most applicants retake the DAT, they mainly concentrate on the sections they have scored low and forget about the other sections. Therefore, the scores may not necessarily be higher in a retake.

However, when I called UCLA, Noemi said that I should definitely retake because of my low RC score and she said RC is very important, since there is a lot of reading involved in DS.

Now, since schools take the most recent score, what would you guys do? Do you retake the DAT? (UCLA doesnt accept DATs taken after Dec. 31., 2007.)

Would u just hope to get an interview invite from USC or u retake and apply for the 2009 cycle and hope to be able to get into UCLA? (Since UCLA and USC are not even comparable; checking this forum, I do not read encouraging posts regarding USC.)
Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

your reading comprehension is a little low but that GPA of 4.0 should make up for it.
I guess you should have applied for a few more dental schools.
But yeah... if they said for you to retake the DAT... i think thats the best advise.
I dont get how u can have a 4.0 GPA and get low RC score... just doesnt make sence, i guess it just wasnt your day :(

thank you for ur reply. The reason my RC score is so low is b/c English is my second language and I didn't prepare at for that section at all. During undergrad, I did my best to not get a grade lower that A. My problem was that I tried to understand everything I read on the three passages on the RC section, and that is just impossible.

PS: I didn't prepare much for QR and PAT either and I think I should have, so that could have compensated for such a low RC score :mad:.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes those 17s have to be higher. they are actually below the national average. UC schools are very competitive with DAT/GPA

I think dental schools understand that it's hard for non-native speakers to do well on timed English tests. I am not saying all ESL students get bad grades on their RC section (I know a kid who came from China two years ago and got a 26 or 27 in RC section on his DAT). I think the school will understand the difficulty. However, some schools (I believe UCLA is one of them) greatly value RC scores. It would have helped if you had applied to more schools, but that's all in the past now.

Good luck ;):D:)

thank you for ur reply. The reason my RC score is so low is b/c English is my second language and I didn't prepare at for that section at all. During undergrad, I did my best to not get a grade lower that A. My problem was that I tried to understand everything I read on the three passages on the RC section, and that is just impossible.

PS: I didn't prepare much for QR and PAT either and I think I should have, so that could have compensated for such a low RC score :mad:.

Thank u everyone for ur input. Anymore ideas???

thank u eveyone for ur input. Anymore ideas???

Thank u everyone for ur input. Anymore ideas???
Did you really only apply to those two schools?
I would personally retake it. Even if your other scores go down two points each and your other scores go up considerably you will be in much better shape. Good luck.

Did you really only apply to those two schools?
I would personally retake it. Even if your other scores go down two points each and your other scores go up considerably you will be in much better shape. Good luck.

Yes, I did apply to only those two schools. Because, I am married and have a son, so it's impossible for me to move out of state or some where else in California, due to my husband's job.

It's basically impractical for me to move to Loma Linda to attend LLU or to move to SF to attend UCSF or UoP.

I would focus on being a great mother for my child, and not put him in daycare for 4 years while I study at dental school. But I'm old fashioned.

I would focus on being a great mother for my child, and not put him in daycare for 4 years while I study at dental school. But I'm old fashioned.

Um, I think thats a slap in the face of all working mothers.

and who said he'd be in daycare? Maybe he goes to school and his father is able to pick him up after... I know that would be the case with me.

I think whats best for my son is that his mother has a great career that can provide for him... and can earn enough money so he can have the education he deserves

Um, I think thats a slap in the face of all working mothers.

and who said he'd be in daycare? Maybe he goes to school and his father is able to pick him up after... I know that would be the case with me.

I think whats best for my son is that his mother has a great career that can provide for him... and can earn enough money so he can have the education he deserves

What a great perspective. Thank you for your support for working mothers :).

Hey she asked for me for my honest opinion. I figured it would come out rude to some, but that's what I would do if I were in her shoes.

if she cant go away to school because of her husbands job then that implies her husband makes more money than a dentist does. If not, the family should move so she can go to school.

if the case is that her husband makes more than a dentist, then she doesn't have to worry about money and she should stay at home with the children.

Honestly, I think your stat's are great. However, the follow up questions are were you done with pre-requisites, how do you think you did with your personal statement, and how is your shadowing and extracurricular activities? But from your information, I think a possible mistake you did is that you sumbitted after 3 months from the opening date as well as you took the DAT around October. Remember that you are competing with reapplicants whose materials are all ready by May 15. That includes their DAT scores, well written personal statements, as well as recommendation letters plus all they have to do was to send their transcripts and click on the submit button. This was my biggest mistake during the first time I applied. Also, I applied to few schools, so I researched on how to increase my chances in getting in. I also bought this medical /dental school barron's guide which told me if you have this "x" stats then you should apply to this "number of schools" and etc. Hope this helped you a bit.

This was uncalled for. She was asking for advice on her application, not opinions on her lifestyle. :rolleyes:

I would roll with these scores and see where it got me. It's already late in the cycle. If you have to retake the test you want to study for it in most ideal situation. Studying for the DAT to try and take it before the cycle closes will just give you uncessary stress. Honestly, I think you have a decent shot at getting in. Adcoms love accepting parents.

Hello Pre-Dents:
I have applied to UCLA and USC. I haven't heard from anyone, yet. I submitted AADSAS August 29 and took the DAT October 28 and my scores are as follows:
RC 15
QR 17
PAT 17
OC 24
GC 23
BIO 21

AA 20
TS 23

GPA: 4.0

I called USC to ask whether they recommend a retake on the DAT, the admossion counselor said my scores are consistent except for the RC section. He also said that RC is not the most critical section and it's up to me whether I want to retake to improve my RC score. At the end, he said that a retake is not absolutely necessary. He said when most applicants retake the DAT, they mainly concentrate on the sections they have scored low and forget about the other sections. Therefore, the scores may not necessarily be higher in a retake.

However, when I called UCLA, Noemi said that I should definitely retake because of my low RC score and she said RC is very important, since there is a lot of reading involved in DS.

Now, since schools take the most recent score, what would you guys do? Do you retake the DAT? (UCLA doesnt accept DATs taken after Dec. 31., 2007.)

Would u just hope to get an interview invite from USC or u retake and apply for the 2009 cycle and hope to be able to get into UCLA? (Since UCLA and USC are not even comparable; checking this forum, I do not read encouraging posts regarding USC.)
Any input will be greatly appreciated.

You have really good scores. While you obviously need to be able to read and half-way understand what you are reading in dental schools, I think this section of the test is a little unfair. It is unfair to the "slow readers" out there. I know many SMART SMART people who just take a really long time to read (usually male for some reason and usually engineers). They completely understand what they're reading, they just do it slowly. On a timed test, this is unfortunate. Aside from class notes, I really don't do much other reading. I think your GPA and other test scores are really great and the right school will not get hung up on that one score. However, if you still remember what you studied and don't mind taking the test again, do it. I wouldn't want to!!:) I think you will be fine unless there's some other part of your application that stinks, like you never volunteered or did any non-school related activities. Being convicted of stalking also hurts in the application process :)