What would you do if you're in my shoe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peerless218

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Western University called me and accepted me for their class of 2013 today!!!!

So here is my situation, I am placed on the alternate list at my top choice of school, University of the Pacific. According to their students, faculty, and admission director. If you're placed on the alternate list and you turned down other schools' offers from the previous cycle. Pacific will offer you a guarntee seat for next year. I am still in this "it sounds too good to be true" thought process. Is this actually true? If more then 10 people making the same statement then I shouldn't be worrying about it right?

I just have this fear of what if I dont get into Pacific next year, then what? What do you guys think?? Should I wait a year and march into a life chapter that's fills with some questions marks, or I should just attend Western?

Members don't see this ad.

Did the admissions director personally tell you this? If so, maybe you can get them to give you something in writing before you turn down your other acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that if you interview at UoP and get waitlisted, they usually accept you the next year. I know two buddies this has happened to. But Western is a guarantee. Just do what your gut tells you. Keep in mind there sre still plenty of people who would love an acceptance to Western, ie me haha it's close to my gf's family, so I'm still anxiously waiting. Good luck!

If 100% guaranteed, go to UoP.
If 99% guaranteed, go to Western.

I have heard this too. My student interviewer at UOP turned down her acceptance at a different school because she really wanted to go to UOP and got into UOP the next year.

Maybe you could call and tell them your situation - that you really want to attend UOP, and that if you were to turn down an acceptance to another dental school this cycle - what are your chances for admissions into UOP's dental program next year...and you still have a chance this year!!! Good Luck! :)

I would pick Western just because I think UOP is a big joke :rolleyes:

Did the admissions director personally tell you this? If so, maybe you can get them to give you something in writing before you turn down your other acceptance?

Well I spoke to Dean Yarbrough during their Pacific Pride Day event over the weekend. He recommended me to take the fav 5 classes most dental schools suggest to take. Which are histology, anatomy, microbio, biochem, and physiology. Which I told him I took them already, then he basically told me just to go travel around the world and don't worry about it. Just wait for Pacific to call me next cycle if I did not get in this cycle.....so I dont know. It does sound pretty good don't you think??

Well I spoke to Dean Yarbrough during their Pacific Pride Day event over the weekend. He recommended me to take the fav 5 classes most dental schools suggest to take. Which are histology, anatomy, microbio, biochem, and physiology. Which I told him I took them already, then he basically told me just to go travel around the world and don't worry about it. Just wait for Pacific to call me next cycle if I did not get in this cycle.....so I dont know. It does sound pretty good don't you think??

according to the dean, if you apply next year you are 100% guaranteed? then go to UoP. and enjoy 1yr of vacation!

Members don't see this ad :)
Call UoP and ask. Tell them how much you want to go there and that you're willing to give up an acceptance and wait a year to go there.

Although, unless it's written and signed by the dean or something, it's not really guaranteed since UoP would be within their rights to waitlist/reject you again.

I would be very confused to how I got inside your shoe, but eventually just shrug it off and live my life

Like the others said, I would call your first choice and make sure this is true. Some other people are suggesting that you just go to Western, but I understand your want to attend your first choice, even if you are willing to wait a year. So if what you said is true about being accepted for the next cycle or whatever, I'd attend the first choice. If it can't be confirmed, you still got in somewhere else, congrats ;)

Call me paranoid because my father is a lawyer, but I would want something in writing before turning down an acceptance.

Double post

Last edited:
I agree with Jake8. You don't what can happen in one year...new dean/policy approved and so on.
Better to have a document in hand; it's like having a paper acceptance letter at hand even thou you got a call about your acceptance. IMO.
GL.

You were not one of the 144 for this year but you are "guaranteed" to be on next year's list?

Well why do you think is a big joke to you??

I say this because I don't believe in a "fast route" out of dentistry. Honestly, you need to do the whole four years to have enough chair time to come out as a decent dentist. A lot of UOP dentists come out not really knowing what they do. The dentists I work with (one from NYU and one from UPenn) as well as a Periodontist I worked with all said that UOP dentists are terrible. I also know a lot of other dentists look down on UOP dentists because they simply don't have enough experience when they come out to do things right.

However, this is all opinionated and subjective so take it as you will. If you want to get out of D-school fast and dirty, then by all means do it. I'm just saying that I personally would not do that.

I say this because I don't believe in a "fast route" out of dentistry. Honestly, you need to do the whole four years to have enough chair time to come out as a decent dentist. A lot of UOP dentists come out not really knowing what they do. The dentists I work with (one from NYU and one from UPenn) as well as a Periodontist I worked with all said that UOP dentists are terrible. I also know a lot of other dentists look down on UOP dentists because they simply don't have enough experience when they come out to do things right.

However, this is all opinionated and subjective so take it as you will. If you want to get out of D-school fast and dirty, then by all means do it. I'm just saying that I personally would not do that.

I guess you have never seen their schedule. They do not have any long breaks or vacations. And no school will spoonfeed you the clinical skills. You learn those skills when you practice- that is why is it called "Practice".

http://dental.pacific.edu/Documents/students/academic_affairs/acrobat/SPRINGDDS1(2).pdf

I guess you have never seen their schedule. They do not have any long breaks or vacations. And no school will spoonfeed you the clinical skills. You learn those skills when you practice- that is why is it called "Practice".

http://dental.pacific.edu/Documents/students/academic_affairs/acrobat/SPRINGDDS1(2).pdf

Yes, I understand that their schedules can be extremely busy but a in my eyes a 3 year program just won't have as much clinical experience as a standard 4 year program no matter what you do. I've also personally witnessed a UOP resident at work. He was an amateur compared to the other two residents.

Which dentist do you think will be more successful at establishing a practice out of D-school? One who comes out with very limited clinical experience and struggles initially or one who comes out prepared and is able to do all the standard procedures correctly (which in turns gives him a good reputation and thus more patients)? So why not get the clinical practice you need in D-school while there are professors there to guide you and help you before you make a career wrecking decision when you're on your own? To my knowledge, medicine related lawsuits can be very pricey and deadly to doctors.

Also, I merely offered my opinions and my share of what I heard from dentists whom I've worked with (who have pretty good credentials, imo, as they are all very successful dentists from very prestigious schools).

go to midwestern. more often than not, nothing in life is guaranteed.

Western University called me and accepted me for their class of 2013 today!!!!

So here is my situation, I am placed on the alternate list at my top choice of school, University of the Pacific. According to their students, faculty, and admission director. If you're placed on the alternate list and you turned down other schools' offers from the previous cycle. Pacific will offer you a guarntee seat for next year. I am still in this "it sounds too good to be true" thought process. Is this actually true? If more then 10 people making the same statement then I shouldn't be worrying about it right?

I just have this fear of what if I dont get into Pacific next year, then what? What do you guys think?? Should I wait a year and march into a life chapter that's fills with some questions marks, or I should just attend Western?

wow, this is so EASY to solve. UOP

Ok here is the deal, I'm one of those people who got waitlisted last year and got in this year, there is no guarantee, even if you call the school they legally can not guarantee anything, but again, I got in so did the rest of the UOP waitlisted people who i knew from last year. Go with your feeling, I got into two other schools last year and did not even think twice, because UOP was my first choice, I turned them down.

Ok here is the deal, I'm one of those people who got waitlisted last year and got in this year, there is no guarantee, even if you call the school they legally can not guarantee anything, but again, I got in so did the rest of the UOP waitlisted people who i knew from last year. Go with your feeling, I got into two other schools last year and did not even think twice, because UOP was my first choice, I turned them down.

That is ballzy :thumbup:

Go to Western, life changes, things happen. If you want to be a dentist then either school will get you there. Good Luck.

I got into Pittsburgh and NYU, I knew if i didn't wait for UOP i'll always regret it, it's something you have got to decide for yourself, but again you'll have a very very good chance of getting in next year , the school just "legally" can not tell you that (just trying to help)

Mid August you'll recieve a letter that tells you whether or not you'll need to take any other courses, they basically will tell you what you will need to do to get in, I had to take a couple of courses, if you do what they ask you to do you are pretty much in.

Last edited:
So...I drove up to Pacific last weekend from San Diego. It was really cool!! I shadowed a 2nd year student all day on Friday, had a lot of fun in the sim lab, and I had a meeting with the head of the admission. I asked her I was recently accepted into another school but Pacific is wher eI truly wish to be, do you have any recommendations for me??

She basically said I still have a real strong chance of getting in Pacific this year because I am on the 2nd quartile of their waitlisters. They usually take 5 - 10 people off the 2nd quartile in a list of 40 people.

Then I asked her what should I do if I do not get in this year. She then busted out my file and pretty much told me there is no recommendation for me for the coming up year besides MAYBE taking histology if I can. She's very understanding about the difficulty of taking classes as a graduated student. She said, dont worry too much if you're unable to register for that class, I understand it is very hard to take claasses after you have already graduated.

And cgood, I am probably just going to sign my paper to not attend Western once I get my paperwork.

Fun fact: Pacific took 18/20 waitlisters from 2 years ago, and they took 14/14 waitlsiter from the previosu year for this year's class.

If I were in your shoe I'd wonder why the hell I was only wearing one shoe? Then I'd take it off and find my own shoes.

Sounds like you should be able to get into UOP this year, if not then next year. Go play or work for 1 year and save up some money if u have to wait. Live at home /w parents, earn 30-40k doing some odd job related to your major and that will pay for most of your living costs at UOP for 3 years.

If I were in your shoe I'd wonder why the hell I was only wearing one shoe? Then I'd take it off and find my own shoes.

It depends what shoe we are talking about...

If you want to be safe, go to Western. That's a 100% deal, unless you can somehow get the delay year admission from UoP in writing.. When will they notify you? December 1st? If so, you'd already have had to apply again and spend a lot more money. And if you don't, and it doesn't work out.... you'll be class of 2014...

I have also worked with different doctors on their first job right out of dental school. The three doctors that I've met from UoP seemed pretty confident, and definitely knew what they were doing. I met a couple of doctors from NYU and one of them did not seem as confident. The other is one of the best doctors that I have worked with. I think the DS can only help you so much, it also depends on how the student uses his or her time in DS. Also it's my understanding that most dental schools start to work on sim labs on the second year, and working on patients on the 3rd. At Pacific, you start the sim lab on the first year and start working on patients on the second year.

But I do understand your point...

Last edited:
Most if not all recent dental grads go through a period where they are a lamb among lions. School can only prepare you so much and then it is up to you to keep on progressing. That operative procedure which took an hour and a half in school, should only take a half our in the real world and so on. I wouldn't worry too much about the preparedness of UOP grads. They all seem to find work and nobody is complaining about them.

Even if you wait a year to go to UOP you are still in the class of 2013 :thumbup:

What if your next year's interview @ UoP turn out to be a bad one? I'd go to Western.

What if your next year's interview @ UoP turn out to be a bad one? I'd go to Western.

Well I didn't know this but I met a 1st year student who was on the 3rd quartile of the waitlist last year. He said he did not even interview the 2nd time he applied there. He turned in the deposit and was notified he was accepted on Dec 1st.

people who are waitlisted and decide to wait for the following year do not interview again (as the school will tell them , they have already done their interview, and the only reason they did not get in was because there were not enough spaces) , they just have to wait for Dec 1th.

so are u going to official reject western?...im on the waitlist n waitin for a response..seems like ur pretty set on going to UOP...goodluck with it! n i hope u get in this year..if not ull always have next year:)

Well I didn't know this but I met a 1st year student who was on the 3rd quartile of the waitlist last year. He said he did not even interview the 2nd time he applied there. He turned in the deposit and was notified he was accepted on Dec 1st.

So you do not know until December 1st.... That's a lot of ambiguity and you better have applied to a few other schools.

So you do not know until December 1st.... That's a lot of ambiguity and you better have applied to a few other schools.

Don't worry Reo, I still do plan on applying to like 10 - 15 schools just in case. Wow I've been attacking like no others from SDNer AND my friends about not accepting the offer to Western and rather wait out a year.

I got into Pittsburgh and NYU, I knew if i didn't wait for UOP i'll always regret it, it's something you have got to decide for yourself, but again you'll have a very very good chance of getting in next year , the school just "legally" can not tell you that (just trying to help)

Mid August you'll recieve a letter that tells you whether or not you'll need to take any other courses, they basically will tell you what you will need to do to get in, I had to take a couple of courses, if you do what they ask you to do you are pretty much in.

I had a meeting with Kathy and she pulled out my file and basically told me I have no recommendations what so ever so there aren't anything for me to do. She pretty much just told me to enjoy life for a year.

I am currently on the 2nd quartile of waitlisters so I still have a fair amount of good chance to get in, according to her.

Her last words to me were "You still have a good amount of shot to become class of 2012, don't give up on this cycle yet. You will hear back from us during the week of May 15th when all the dental schools are required to submit their dental students' names to see who's holding multiple deposits. About half if not all 2 quartile waitlisters will then receive their phone calls."

I had a meeting with Kathy and she pulled out my file and basically told me I have no recommendations what so ever so there aren't anything for me to do. She pretty much just told me to enjoy life for a year.

I met with UoP admissions in August to talk about my chances. They pulled out my file and said my GPA was good, DAT was good, and they had no recommendations, so don't worry about it and just wait to hear back. Yeah, I didn't hear back. So take their words with a grain of salt. Good luck though

You currently only have one guarantee at a chance to become a dentist. If UoP, for whatever reason, doesn't take you next year, it's not like there's a bounty of schools eager to accept you. What I'll say will hurt, but it may be necessary to get the point across....

Look at the number of schools that rejected you outright: twenty some odd schools. The only schools who even gave you a second look were two brand new schools and UoP. Even the multitude of back-up schools like USC, Tufts, BU, and NYU thought you're not good enough for them. For whatever reason, your application's not very competitive. If UoP doesn't take you in next year - either because they forgot or because they changed their mind - you probably won't become a dentist at all.

This will hurt, you'll hate me for a very long time, but it's for your own good. You may not be good enough to get in a second time. Take your opportunity to become a dentist now.

I am currently on the 2nd quartile of waitlisters so I still have a fair amount of good chance to get in, according to her.

Her last words to me were "You still have a good amount of shot to become class of 2012, don't give up on this cycle yet. You will hear back from us during the week of May 15th when all the dental schools are required to submit their dental students' names to see who's holding multiple deposits. About half if not all 2 quartile waitlisters will then receive their phone calls."

There you go, so just relax, if you get in this year great, if not have a year off (as I did ) and we'll see you next year, and don't doubt your choice, if UOP is where you want to go it's worth the wait. People who have not been in this situation might not understand your decision, I've been there and now it's soooo worth it. Good Luck :thumbup:

You currently only have one guarantee at a chance to become a dentist. If UoP, for whatever reason, doesn't take you next year, it's not like there's a bounty of schools eager to accept you. What I'll say will hurt, but it may be necessary to get the point across....

Look at the number of schools that rejected you outright: twenty some odd schools. The only schools who even gave you a second look were two brand new schools and UoP. Even the multitude of back-up schools like USC, Tufts, BU, and NYU thought you're not good enough for them. For whatever reason, your application's not very competitive. If UoP doesn't take you in next year - either because they forgot or because they changed their mind - you probably won't become a dentist at all.

This will hurt, you'll hate me for a very long time, but it's for your own good. You may not be good enough to get in a second time. Take your opportunity to become a dentist now.

Well in my defense, remember how people kept on telling applicants to APPLY early?? My file was not officially completed until middle of Jan due to retaking my DAT on Nov 26th.

So we're talking about third round status for me regardless. I shouldn't have even received ANY interviews this cycle. I just got really lucky that some schools still wanted to interview me.

Prior to that, I did have 4 schools sent me letters and e-mail expressing interest in me, but wanted to see my DAT score before granting me an interview. Got rejected by all 4 schools after I submitted my 1st score of a 17 on my DAT. 16 BIO & QR and 15 on RC. I do believe if I apply EARLY this cycle, my chances will be a lot higher.