pipedream812

10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
You were accepted to a DO school really early, but didnt even get interviewed at an MD school? Would you go DO, or try to improve your app and give MD another shot the following year?

Robizzle

1K Member
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
Boston & NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
You were accepted to a DO school really early, but didnt even get interviewed at an MD school? Would you go DO, or try to improve your app and give MD another shot the following year?

I would only have applied DO if I knew I would take DO if no MDs accepted me.

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2002
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

If you dont care about initials after your name go DO. Also, if you like your DO school - go DO. I fell in love with my DO school when I had campus tour. I declined 2 MD interviews which followed after my acceptance. If I was accepted in state schools yes I would go MD for money reasons, but seems that NY State schools just dont like me that much as out of state schools, anyway I dont care about letters after my name, I dont care if I have to ace two board exams I, and yes .. I will be a surgeon... I just want to be happy for 4 years...at NYCOM I feel like home :) So here I come NYCOM class 2011 :)

About the Ads

CCLCMer

CCLCM Alum c/o 2011
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
Cleveland expatriate
cclcmstudent.blogspot.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
It's hard to answer a question like that without knowing what you want to get trained for and what the weaknesses are on your app. If you're wanting to go into clinical practice, then go to the DO school. Why wait another year just to get a different set of initials after your name when the DO degree will give you what you need? But if you want a research career, that is probably a good reason to think about reapplying. Don't reapply though unless you can significantly improve your app. or you'll just be wasting time and money.

PugMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2006
Virginia
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

If you don't mind the thought of reapping and taking a year off for another possible failed attempt at landing an allopathic acceptance, by all means go for it - especially if you can't stand to thought of going DO. I would suggest not wasting time/money on more DO programs if you are positive you won't use them as backups, should you have the opportunity.

Have you already been accepted to a DO program?

Doc Martins

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Nueva York
Status (Visible)

what was your reason for applying DO in the first place if you couldn't answer this question?

KeyLime

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2000
Status (Visible)
If you give up your DO spot now, you are probably not going to get into DO school again. You will have to mark that you previously applied to DO schools, and they will probably ask you whether or not you were accepted. You will be hard pressed to be able to give them a good answer.

The truth of the matter is that you may not get accepted to an MD program next year, or anytime after that. Is it worth it to risk not ever going to medical school just to have an MD after your name?

I'll never understand why people apply to schools that they have no intentions of attending.

Sorry to be so harsh.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.