What would you do in my situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srbm1786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to apply next cycle, hoping for a spot in the class of 2017 (preferably at LSU, as I'm a Louisiana resident, but I'll go anywhere).

Here's my situation - I'm not taking Organic Chemistry until next summer. There's just no way I can fit it into my schedule before that. I know that early application is favorable, but in order to apply in June, I will have to take the DAT without having taken OChem.

I feel pretty confident about Biology, GenChem, RC, and QR (obviously I'll need to review over the next year, but I have a strong base in those areas). I just bought Crack DAT PAT so I can spend the next year working on getting a good PAT score.

Let's assume for the sake of this post that my GPA is competitive (4.0 right now, but I'm taking Microbiology and Physics next semester, so we'll see), and that all my volunteering/shadowing/ECs/LORs are in place. And let's assume I can do reasonably well on the other parts of the DAT. Which would you do:

- Spend the next year teaching myself Organic Chemistry (I plan to get Chad's videos and any other resources y'all recommend), and take the DAT and apply in June, OR

- take the DAT and apply in August, after completing OChem?

I'm just not sure if it's better to risk the possibility of a lower DAT score with early application, or risk a late application with a potentially higher score.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning to apply next cycle, hoping for a spot in the class of 2017 (preferably at LSU, as I'm a Louisiana resident, but I'll go anywhere).

Here's my situation - I'm not taking Organic Chemistry until next summer. There's just no way I can fit it into my schedule before that. I know that early application is favorable, but in order to apply in June, I will have to take the DAT without having taken OChem.

I feel pretty confident about Biology, GenChem, RC, and QR (obviously I'll need to review over the next year, but I have a strong base in those areas). I just bought Crack DAT PAT so I can spend the next year working on getting a good PAT score.

Let's assume for the sake of this post that my GPA is competitive (4.0 right now, but I'm taking Microbiology and Physics next semester, so we'll see), and that all my volunteering/shadowing/ECs/LORs are in place. And let's assume I can do reasonably well on the other parts of the DAT. Which would you do:

- Spend the next year teaching myself Organic Chemistry (I plan to get Chad's videos and any other resources y'all recommend), and take the DAT and apply in June, OR

- take the DAT and apply in August, after completing OChem?

I'm just not sure if it's better to risk the possibility of a lower DAT score with early application, or risk a late application with a potentially higher score.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, you are thinking way too in advance. Organic chemistry is hard to learn on your own WHILE you're still in school. I rather wait to take organic chemistry and then take the DATs only cause of that hidden risk. But if you can do it, then do it. At the moment, I feel like you have no reason to worry.

Teach yourself O Chem.

I know 3 people that have done it, and 2 did well on the DAT O Chem section.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about the PAT as much as you are because your Academic Average does not include it. Focus more on teaching yourself O-Chem and reviewing for the other sections of the test. As long as you don't completely tank the PAT, you'll be fine.

If you can take the DAT in June or before, that would be highly recommended. However, I would make sure that you are prepared because it would be much easier to study and take it only once rather than multiple times, not to mention that it costs $200 each time to take it.

Here's the biggest gray area: by taking the DAT in June (and doing well), you set yourself up to be in the first wave or two of submitted applications. If you don't score well, then you have to wait three months to retake it, making your application complete in mid-September, which will give 1000s of students a three-month head start on you.

Bottom line: if you feel comfortable with O-Chem by next May/June (taking practice tests should give you a decent barometer), I would take the DAT then. If not, wait until July/August when O-Chem is over.

Taking the DAT without having taken OC before - that's probably the worst idea I've ever heard in my life.

If you were competing with me for a 2016 spot, I would be all up your alley pushing you to do it; but, since you're 2017, I'll give you my honest 2 cents on the matter.

OC, alone, is hard. OC is harder if you take it over a longer period of time. OC is even harder if you take it with other classes. OC is even harder if you take it with classes and try to study for the DAT. Tell us your schedule for next year and I'm sure we can switch out a class for OC. I'm sure there is a way for you to take it before your DAT.

Or, can't you take it over the summer?

Last edited:
Unless O-Chem is in direct conflict with another course you HAVE to take now to graduate, I don't see why you can't take it over the next two semesters. In fact, I'd recommend taking O-Chem over either Physics or Microbiology -- both of which, though required for some dental schools, are not on the DAT and don't need to be taken ASAP.

Can't you just switch out a course and substitute in O-Chem?

Taking the DAT without having taken OC before - that's probably the worst idea I've ever heard in my life.

If you were competing with me for a 2016 spot, I would be all up your alley pushing you to do it; but, since you're 2017, I'll give you my honest 2 cents on the matter.

OC, alone, is hard. OC is harder if you take it over a longer period of time. OC is even harder if you take it with other classes. OC is even harder if you take it with classes and try to study for the DAT. Tell us your schedule for next year and I'm sure we can switch out a class for OC. I'm sure there is a way for you to take it before your DAT.

Or, can't you take it over the summer?

I am taking OChem over the summer. Summer 2012...starting in June and finishing in August. I'm not taking any other classes during that summer - just OChem.

I can't take it Fall 2011 or Spring 2012. At my university, they only open OChem 1 in the fall, and the courses must be taken consecutively. The only time I can get into OChem 1 this fall, I can't make my childcare situation work in order to be able to make both the class and labs, and have adequate study time.

I appreciate everyone's input regarding the schedule, but I've spent a lot of time thinking about it, and I really can't possibly take OChem until next summer. That's why I asked what you would do in that situation...attempt the DAT in June without having taken OChem (I'm only taking two easy classes Spring 2012, so I can devote quite a bit of time to DAT prep), or wait and take the DAT in August after I take OChem.

I was looking for input regarding the risk of scoring lower on the DAT and applying early, or applying later (August) with a potentially higher DAT score.

Since taking the DAT without having taken OChem is "the worst idea you've heard in your life," I'm going to assume you would choose to wait and risk the later application by taking the DAT and applying in August.

Don't worry about the PAT as much as you are because your Academic Average does not include it. Focus more on teaching yourself O-Chem and reviewing for the other sections of the test. As long as you don't completely tank the PAT, you'll be fine.

If you can take the DAT in June or before, that would be highly recommended. However, I would make sure that you are prepared because it would be much easier to study and take it only once rather than multiple times, not to mention that it costs $200 each time to take it.

Here's the biggest gray area: by taking the DAT in June (and doing well), you set yourself up to be in the first wave or two of submitted applications. If you don't score well, then you have to wait three months to retake it, making your application complete in mid-September, which will give 1000s of students a three-month head start on you.

Bottom line: if you feel comfortable with O-Chem by next May/June (taking practice tests should give you a decent barometer), I would take the DAT then. If not, wait until July/August when O-Chem is over.

I'm not particularly worried about the PAT, just planning to start working on it here and there during my free time.

I appreciate your advice here, and it makes good sense to me. I think I'll plan to do this. As far as assessing my readiness - do most people here recommend TopScore and Achiever as most representative of how one will perform on the real DAT? I've seen those mentioned several times, but wasn't sure if there's something else I should get.

Thanks!

I didn't take O chem before the DAT and got a 24. My situation sucked because I did it in 4 months working full time and doing research.

SO..yes it can be done. Would I recommend it.......well how bad do you want it?