What would you do in this situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edited

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would take the DO acceptances. I'm not 100% sure, but I would think that reapplying after a successful cycle would raise eyebrows, especially at the DO schools that you would be reapplying to. I'm curious as to what the negatives of being a DO concerns you and why you applied to schools that you wouldn't attend if accepted?

If you have acceptances, take them. You're going to be a physician. Run with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO is good in its own way. It's just different then MD. You get out of medical school what you put into it. The letters behind your name are irrelevant.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I was thinking about just applying to DO schools that I was rejected to/the few I didn't apply to. I'm worried about reduced residency chances, having to deal with grades vs pass fail, and having to schedule your own rotations.

Reduced residency chances? From what I heard, those in MD schools just tend to be better test takers overall. Correlation not causation. Plenty of peeps from DO schools have gone on into competitive residencies.

Having to deal with grades vs pass/fail? Not all MD schools do pass/fail btw.

Having to schedule your own rotations is not a sufficient reason to not attend medical school.

There are plenty of MD/DO threads in SDN. I would definitely read up on those threads (especially with goro involvement) to set your heart at ease.

If you didn't think you would matriculate at those DO schools why did you apply there in the first place?

Reactions: 1 user
Drop the acceptances and aim for MD. Apply more strategically and avoid schools that average MCAT scores, which is probably hurting you.

I rather see your seats go to applicants who really want to be a DO, or, at the minimum, want to be doctors in 4 years.

And if you think DOs are limited in what they can do, tell it to this guy:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/whenever-you-hear-someone-say.1119403/

Hi guys,

So I'm applying this cycle to DO and MD. Originally my MCAT was low below 30 so I applied DO around July but I retook the MCAT and got a better score (30-34) so I applied to MD late around late September. I'm still waiting on some MD schools but the cycle seems to be closing soon. I was hoping for MD to come about so I could have improved chances for residency and good clinical rotations. I applied to a lot of MD schools. I do have 2 DO offers in my hand now but I'm wondering if I should pursue them with the negatives of DO. My GPA is above average 3.7-3.8. I was thinking I could take a gap year and try to get more clinical experience (I have about 100 hours) through ER medical scribing possibly and trying MD again next cycle earlier and applying to the few DO schools I didn't apply to or was rejected from. What would you guys do in this situation?

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys,

So I'm applying this cycle to DO and MD. Originally my MCAT was low below 30 so I applied DO around July but I retook the MCAT and got a better score (30-34) so I applied to MD late around late September. I'm still waiting on some MD schools but the cycle seems to be closing soon. I was hoping for MD to come about so I could have improved chances for residency and good clinical rotations. I applied to a lot of MD schools. I do have 2 DO offers in my hand now but I'm wondering if I should pursue them with the negatives of DO. My GPA is above average 3.7-3.8. I was thinking I could take a gap year and try to get more clinical experience (I have about 100 hours) through ER medical scribing possibly and trying MD again next cycle earlier and applying to the few DO schools I didn't apply to or was rejected from. What would you guys do in this situation?

If you have 3.7-3.8 from a good undergraduate and your "better" score is closer to 34 than to 30, I would drop the DO acceptances and apply early for MD only next cycle. There's no rush to enter medical school, you can spend the year strengthening your application even more. These DO spots can go to people that need them, and you'll have a "more competitive" degree come residency application.

I mean that's like $250K of salary you'd be passing up. I wouldn't reapply unless I had something truly meaningful to do in the gap year (not something to just beef up a resume), wanted a really competitve residency, or just couldn't ever be happy without the M.D. initials.

Even if all those reasons applied, it'd still be a very tough call simply because you're guaranteed nothing next cycle, especially with average stats (for MD). Not to mention DO schools probably won't give you any chance after turning down 2 DO acceptances.

Reactions: 1 user
The only thing that will happen is that the schools you did apply to will ask "How have you improved since the last cycle?". We don't communicate with each other so we have no way of knowing if you turned down an acceptance (except at our own school. That will probably be lethal).

@Goro If I reapply to DO schools next cycle that I didn't get into/didn't apply to will they know about and hold it against me for the DO acceptances this cycle?