What would you do?- supervisor question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Childdoconeday

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have started a new job and will be required to complete psych assessments, which is something I am a bit rusty at. I asked my former supervisor (someone who i admire and respect) to supervise me, and she said that she would be happy to do it at no rate.

On one hand, that's so wonderful and I am appreciative. On the other hand, I really want to pay her in exchange for her time and effort. I honestly would also feel more comfortable reaching out to her for assistance if I knew that i was compensating for her time and effort. Now that it's free, i am hesitating before asking for help.

Would you push for a rate or just accept this kind gesture and find other ways to show appreciation, or something else?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would not enter into any supervisory relationship, as a supervisor or supervisee, without a contract stated the expectations and responsibilities of each party. Including renumeration. If you need the supervision to ethically conduct psych assessments, want to be sure that you and the supervisor have a similar understanding of the quantity and quality of supervision you expect and, most importantly, need. I’d want include some type of payment with this so I’d be sure to get what I need.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your response. I don’t think That ethically I need a supervisor it’s more of a confidence issue. I have a good background with testing but I haven’t done much in the past year or so, so I don’t feel confident. Either way, interesting perspective I appreciate your response.

I would not enter into any supervisory relationship, as a supervisor or supervisee, without a contract stated the expectations and responsibilities of each party. Including renumeration. If you need the supervision to ethically conduct psych assessments, want to be sure that you and the supervisor have a similar understanding of the quantity and quality of supervision you expect and, most importantly, need. I’d want include some type of payment with this so I’d be sure to get what I need.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, ok. Sorry for my misunderstanding. "Supervisor"- to me at least- implies some sort of clinical oversight and responsibility for the work of the "supervisee." If you are an independently licensed clinician acting within the scope of your training/expertise, what you are describing sounds more like a "peer consultation" model, where the other person does not have any formal responsibility for your clinical work. In such a case, I don't think any payment is necessary. Maybe buy her a nice dinner or bottle of something every now and then.

I do, however, always think it is wise to clearly state all expectations at the beginning of any such relationship, preferably in writing. I'd also be sure to be cautious of sharing and PHI without the consent of clients. If I were her, I would make it clear that I am not assuming any formal clinical oversight or responsibility for your clinical work (of course, she would have the ethical responsibility to point out if you were in any way acting beyond the scope of your training or experience). I'm fortunate to have several other psychologists in my agency who I can run such things by- no formal "supervision," just a "hey what would you do" or "what do you think about this," with an occasional "why don't you take this one."

Reactions: 3 users
Take the generous offer. Don't make it harder to give you something.

Pass it along when you get the opportunity.

Reactions: 6 users