What would YOU do with these stats/ec's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corpsman Up

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. This isnt the typical "what are my chances", so please read entirely. I am looking to apply next cycle for fall 2012 matriculation. I am trying to avoid having to take a gap year because im non-trad, and not getting any younger. So here is a brief rundown of my anticipated stats:

cGPA ~3.6
sGPA ~3.2
MCAT: taking in MAY

*6yrs military service as a corpsman (medic); served with the marines
*2 combat tours in Iraq
*purple heart for wounds received in action
*commendation medal for life-saving actions in mass casualty event
*2006 USO meritorious service awardee (presented by the joint chiefs of staff to only 5 service members a year) for my actions in another mass casualty situation
*lots of volunteer hours
*worked in an emergency department in Italy for 2yrs (naval hospital)
*1yr of undergrad research
*letters of rec from MD and DO that I worked with in Italy
*amazing letter of rec from my former platoon commander basically saying I "saved" our entire platoon

My question is, do you guys think these EC's will be enough to overshadow my low science gpa? I still have quite a few science classes to take before graduation, so i could probably get it up to a 3.4 if i wait until the following cycle (and take a gap year)

Members don't see this ad.

and if you guys know any schools that have a reputation of giving preference to military service like mine, please feel free to throw that in there too. Im an ohio resident by the way, ohio state is my undergrad institution

Those are some pretty stellar ECs! I'm no expert, but I would say that with a solid MCAT score (27+?) you would have no problem getting in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say you look pretty fine. Obviously sGPA could stand to be better but if you do ok-decent on the MCAT I don't think you'll have any problem getting in DO schools

I'm sure I won't be the only one so: thank you for your service

and if you guys know any schools that have a reputation of giving preference to military service like mine, please feel free to throw that in there too. Im an ohio resident by the way, ohio state is my undergrad institution
Adcomms in general love exmilitary. Get a decent MCAT score and you're in great shape for an acceptance next cycle.

yes your EC's are great... and yes EC's love ex-military. I would agree with the fact an MCAT of a 27+ should get you in somewhere, especially if it is ever...

as stated above, thank you for your service

thanks for the input so far guys. im taking princeton reviews mcat prep and shooting for a 30. I have a good track record with standardized tests and am trying to schedule my classes around my mcat prep.

My top choice is OUCOM and im hoping they will overlook the low sgpa

Hey everyone. This isnt the typical "what are my chances", so please read entirely. I am looking to apply next cycle for fall 2012 matriculation. I am trying to avoid having to take a gap year because im non-trad, and not getting any younger. So here is a brief rundown of my anticipated stats:

cGPA ~3.6
sGPA ~3.2

*2 combat tours in Iraq
*2006 USO meritorious service awardee (presented by the joint chiefs of staff to only 5 service members a year) for my actions in another mass casualty situation
*lots of volunteer hours
*amazing letter of rec from my former platoon commander basically saying I "saved" our entire platoon

My question is, do you guys think these EC's will be enough to overshadow my low science gpa? I still have quite a few science classes to take before graduation, so i could probably get it up to a 3.4 if i wait until the following cycle (and take a gap year)

I would check back after I took the MCAT

thanks for the input so far guys. im taking princeton reviews mcat prep and shooting for a 30. I have a good track record with standardized tests and am trying to schedule my classes around my mcat prep.

My top choice is OUCOM and im hoping they will overlook the low sgpa

If you really want to go to OUCOM, I think with a decent MCAT you will have a pretty solid shot since you are instate. You could also have a shot at a number of other schools as well. Apply early, so the adcom's get a chance to really read your app.

I also agree with the above poster in that without an MCAT, all this talk is moot. But, as an aside, I do know a student who had amazing EC's but a 23 MCAT, who happened to apply to OUCOM after the deadline and still got an interview and was accepted (This is an N=1 sample, but the point is that it is possible even with a lower MCAT).

Good luck!

You're right, the mcat will decide my fate; fingers crossed that i will score well. My plan is to apply very early, apply to all in-state schools (MD and DO) and only DO out of state schools. I am going to be very realistic with my expectations and not even bother wasting money on a school I have a 1% shot at.

Thanks for all the input so far

You're right, the mcat will decide my fate; fingers crossed that i will score well. My plan is to apply very early, apply to all in-state schools (MD and DO) and only DO out of state schools. I am going to be very realistic with my expectations and not even bother wasting money on a school I have a 1% shot at.

Thanks for all the input so far

Don't sell yourself short. If you do well on the MCAT a lot of MD programs will also look at your app (then it's up to you to decide which would be a better fit, MD or DO). Your best bet is private OOS schools, but you could still have a shot at them. ;) Oh, and apply to Goro's school, because you'll be able to easily identify which school s/he is associated with when there are only 24 states west of the Mississippi... Maybe you should just look for the school that has a giant four armed evil monster featured on their website...

You know... one that looks like this...

GoroMKSM.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, i was going to ask if his sn was a reference to the old school 90's video game!

I would disagree about the 27+. I would say with everything being rather unique on your application (down to your clinical experiences) that you're application would stick out quite a bit and that 23+ will get you in somewhere. Don't shoot for that, though. But of course you know that. Getting into medical school is 30% academic and 70% how you play your cards, which you've already done quite well.

cGPA ~3.6
sGPA ~3.2

*2 combat tours in Iraq
*lots of volunteer hours

Good stuff Corps :thumbup:

Good luck, nice to see a non-trad prior service combat vet inroute to med school. Good luck on your mcat! I'm still finishing up my master's and my pre-reqs, might be taking the beast later next year.

You thinking about doing HSCP or HPSP? I'm considering going the HSCP route.

If those were my stats and I had a 32+ MCAT, I'd go ahead and apply MD/DO. I'd try to take some more science to see if I could hit that 3.4, but I think there's a very good shot as it is.

Good stuff Corps :thumbup:

Good luck, nice to see a non-trad prior service combat vet inroute to med school. Good luck on your mcat! I'm still finishing up my master's and my pre-reqs, might be taking the beast later next year.

You thinking about doing HSCP or HPSP? I'm considering going the HSCP route.

Im seriously considering HPSP. If i go the military med route, ill still be able to retire around 47; so its very appealing. Ive even considered applying to ushus. Either way, if i go back in, it will probably be with the air force.

what branch are you considering?

I was really thinking about my situation today, and if score decent on the MCAT (28+), then I am definitely applying. If a school puts more emphasis on having 0.3 more sgpa points than my experience, then I really dont want to attend that school. I personanlly dont see how doing well in o-chem trumps combat medical experience...but thats just me

thanks for everyones input

Depending on what your science grade trend is and your MCAT, I would say you have a solid shot at any DO school and the "easier" MD schools. When it comes to apps the only thing you have to lose is the money.

Im seriously considering HPSP. If i go the military med route, ill still be able to retire around 47; so its very appealing. Ive even considered applying to ushus. Either way, if i go back in, it will probably be with the air force.

what branch are you considering?

I'm considering the HSCP program which I believe only applies to the Navy. Plus, every year in med school counts towards my retirement. I did 5 years in the Army so after I enter and finish med school (god willing:rolleyes:), I'll have 9 years of service time. I'll be practically halfway to retirment. I would suggest you try researching them both! :thumbup:

I'm considering the HSCP program which I believe only applies to the Navy. Plus, every year in med school counts towards my retirement. I did 5 years in the Army so after I enter and finish med school (god willing:rolleyes:), I'll have 9 years of service time. I'll be practically halfway to retirment. I would suggest you try researching them both! :thumbup:

Thanks for the info. I havent looked into HSCP yet, but I definitely will right now. Im not real crazy on the idea of going back in the Navy, because Ive seen how doc's brains go to mush while they are doing their GMO tours. Supposedly they are getting rid of the GMO tour and allowing you to go straight through residency; but putting a board certified doc in a gmo billet seems just as bad to me.

Have you heard anything about this?

Thanks for the info. I havent looked into HSCP yet, but I definitely will right now. Im not real crazy on the idea of going back in the Navy, because Ive seen how doc's brains go to mush while they are doing their GMO tours. Supposedly they are getting rid of the GMO tour and allowing you to go straight through residency; but putting a board certified doc in a gmo billet seems just as bad to me.

Have you heard anything about this?

I had some contact with Army docs back in Ft Bragg, but when it comes to knowing how GMO's work and pros/cons, I'm sure there's some folks on here who could elaborate more on this area for you better. Since you’re taking into consideration in retiring from the military, I would suggest the HSCP over HPSP just because you have 6 years in already. You will accumulate Med School debt traveling down this route but your time in school will applies to your retirement which is a gigantic plus that the HPSP does not offer. I'm sure docs from every branch have some sort of a "Brain Mush" moment here and there.