what would you do with your undergraduate degree if you can't get in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think this would be a neat topic for ppl to share. Please mention your undergrad major and what would you like to do with your degree if you don't get into dental school?

I will major in intergrated science specializing in food nutrition and biochemitry. If i don't get in dental school, I probably will pursue a master or working in food industry.

Members don't see this ad.

My degree is in art history and visual art, and had I not been able to secure a spot in dental school at all, I might have pursued a career in real estate. Once I firmly set my sights on dentistry and started working hard towards that goal I knew I would succeed so I didn't spend a whole lot of time nurturing my backup plan.

With my International Studies degree, I would to take the foreign service exam and go work for the State Dept. all over the world.

Members don't see this ad :)
Smooth Operater said:
I think this would be a neat topic for ppl to share. Please mention your undergrad major and what would you like to do with your degree if you don't get into dental school?

I will major in intergrated science specializing in food nutrition and biochemitry. If i don't get in dental school, I probably will pursue a master or working in food industry.

With my lil' English degree...

In no particular order:

1) Go to Carnegie Mellon's Masters of Entertainment Technology program (http://www.etc.cmu.edu/about.html), and design videogames.

2) Go to Cali and do a Masters in Script Writing.

3) Go get a MBA in Marketing.

4) Go overseas and study medicine, come back and try for a sports medicine fellowship.

5) Go get a Doctor of Physical Therapy/MBA from Belmont University and open a health club.

As you can see, I have my options covered. I'm definitely not going to let dental school admissions stress me out... at least not too much :p .

I am currently a biology major. I wanted to be a journalist either on-air or a writer for a magazine before I set my sights on dentistry. I might return to that field. I really enjoy biology, though, so perhaps I would end up becoming a biology teacher either at the high school or college level.

My degree is in Biology. I had absolutely no plans to use the degree had I not gotten accepted into dental school. I would have pursued interior design and gone to live somewhere exotic until I was ready to try again. How random is that...Followed dream # 2

Iv heard that a framed degree in Chemistry and Political Science like mine can be used to serve biscuits and tea or could be used to prop up some sort of furniture

Dr.BadVibes said:
Iv heard that a framed degree in Chemistry and Political Science like mine can be used to serve biscuits and tea or could be used to prop up some sort of furniture

Or better yet: toss it around in a game of ultimate frisbee?

My undergraduate is in psychology and biology. I've always loved flying so I thought if I didn't get into dental school I would become an airline pilot, at least for awhile. After that maybe a Ph.D in something (possibly bioethics) and go back and teach.

I would have went towards music, and become a music composer and play my instrument that i still play today. My major is microbio but worst case i would have mixed microbio with music a little bit of each.

Qarmonist said:
I would have went towards music, and become a music composer and play my instrument that i still play today. My major is microbio but worst case i would have mixed microbio with music a little bit of each.

I am going for dental school, this is my second time around. since I have graduated I began working in a lab and it is fine but I want to go to dental school so my back up plan is a masters.
:scared:

Biomedical communications or Art Conservation.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. physical trainer- i am here to pump U up.
2. Law school
3. Movie Director school
4. Stunt man school

My degree is in communications/advertising.

If I hadn't gotten into dental school I wouldn't have used it at all.

I would have moved to either New York or LA and tried my hand at being a makeup artist. Maybe for movies or fashion photo shoots.

my undergrad degree is chemistry-BS. If I don't get into dental school, I'm thinking about forensic chemistry...very interesting...I've been hooked onto those FBI files and Cold cases on the discovery channel--none of those CSI crap! ;)

My degree is in Chemical Engineering. Let's just say that after 4.5 years of undergrad, it wasn't my cup of tea. All I can I say is that...I really cannot picture myself in this field for the rest of my life. That's why, if I do not get into my top choice dental school, I will just get a chemical engineering job :sleep: for a year and then re-apply again for next year.

I was thinking I would go to med school.

Take that all you egotistical premeds!

snwman said:
I was thinking I would go to med school.

Take that all you egotistical premeds!

I am seriously also thinking of using med school for my back up plan...

I graduated with a B.S. in Anthropology and one of my main interests revolved around health practices among immigrants. Or, more specifically, how immigrants' views of health and/or treatments have changed over time via assimilation or as an act of cultural resistance. So, if I couldn't get into dental school, I would probably go for my Ph.D. in Anthropology and then perform fieldwork and write an ethnography on the Ethiopian Jews in Israel. This is going with the hope that I would be able to dodge the bullets and famine.

welp i'm going to graduate with a degree in Exercise Science (Sport Science concentration) and Psychology. if everything doesn't work out with professional school, i really have no clue what i'll do. some options would be as follows (in no order) :

a.) Personal Train / Strength & Conditioning Coach for competitive athletes

b.) Go to grad school for exercise physiology get a M.A. and Ph.D - become a prof / research

c.) Get a dental hygiene degree

d.) Physician Assistant School

JamesD said:
I am seriously also thinking of using med school for my back up plan...

Nothing wrong with that :cool: .

Teach at a high school for a few years while i get a masters in Educational Administration, then work my way up the ladder.

RaiderNation said:
Teach at a high school for a few years while i get a masters in Educational Administration, then work my way up the ladder.

I respect that... teaching is no walk in the park.

I already have a BS in biology with a chemistry minor, and this is my second time applying, and if I dont get in, I think my back up plan is to get an MPH and then try again in two years. I'm certain this is what I want to do, even if I have to work a little harder to get there.

busupshot83 said:
Nothing wrong with that :cool: .

Yeah, i know a retired admissions officer at a med school, he's been urging me to go there. He says i have a good "chance". :D

i got a job teaching high school chemistry and biology with my undergrad. degree of biological sciences. Can't really beat summers off--great time to study for the dat and get some shadowing in :)

I have a BS in physics, and I'm finishing a masters program in the interim before I would start dental school.

The alternative would be to finish a PhD in physics and ideally get a job as a professor; of course it's tough to get a tenured position in academia these days.