What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted751373

I was invited to a white coat ceremony for medical school that I'm applying to. There will be a reception and a chance to converse with the new med students and the Adcom among other people. How would you use this opportunity to make yourself memorable in a good light? Adcoms what would you want to see?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about other schools, but mine the white coat ceremony is a family focused event where the school toots its own horn then families take pictures and all that.

Case in point, I'd personally be really annoyed if I'm trying to hang out with my family and some applicant kept trying to pick my mind and sell himself. And I'm not an Adcom but I get the feeling they aren't there to have you come sell yourself to them.

Reactions: 9 users
SHOW-ART-WWYD.jpg

But in all seriousness, this is an opportunity to show how personable you are. Converse with students, if an adcom is willing to talk, ask them questions about what they enjoy doing with free time, why they chose that particular school, etc. Obviously attending the ceremony would show interest, which is a bonus as well. Just don't come across as using the opportunity to ask questions that you would normally reserve for an interview, just be likeable. That's how I would use this opportunity. JMHO, so take it with a grain of salt. I didn't even know schools did this.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about other schools, but mine the white coat ceremony is a family focused event where the school toots its own horn then families take pictures and all that.

Case in point, I'd personally be really annoyed if I'm trying to hang out with my family and some applicant kept trying to pick my mind and sell himself. And I'm not an Adcom but I get the feeling they aren't there to have you come sell yourself to them.

Well yeah obviously I'm not going to ask the new med students about how they answered their secondary. But if I had the opportunity to speak with an Adcom what should I say/ask?

Well yeah obviously I'm not going to ask the new med students about how they answered their secondary. But if I had the opportunity to speak with an Adcom what should I say?

Introduce yourself, show your pearly whites, and be human. Laugh, comment on the ceremony and how much you are looking forward to this day, etc. Understand its an auspicious day for everyone involved. The last thing they want is some premed asking about the curriculum. Treat it almost like a shadowing opportunity, introduce yourself and become a fly on the wall. If prompted, respond. But don't bombard people with questions and please don't bring a notepad.

Reactions: 3 users
Introduce yourself, show your pearly whites, and be human. Laugh, comment on the ceremony and how much you are looking forward to this day, etc. Understand its an auspicious day for everyone involved. The last thing they want is some premed asking about the curriculum. Treat it almost like a shadowing opportunity, introduce yourself and become a fly on the wall. If prompted, respond. But don't bombard people with questions and please don't bring a notepad.

*Disappointingly tucks away clipboard* LOL thank you!

Scope out the sharpest looking faculty member. Bump into them. Apologize. Strike a conversation with them. Be charming. Don't mention that you're applying to that school until the very end if you feel they like you. Hand them your card. Nothing classier than a business card. Boom.

Scope out the sharpest looking faculty member. Bump into them. Apologize. Strike a conversation with them. Be charming. Don't mention that you're applying to that school until the very end if you feel they like you. Hand them your card. Nothing classier than a business card. Boom.

No, don't do this. Don't do any of this. This poster is "having you on" as they say in the Commonwealth

Dress business casual if the dress code is not otherwise clear, meaning no jeans especially.

Just be yourself and normal. Hang out with your friends or family.

If adcom comes over, just say how glad you are that your friend made it in, and you hope to follow! Leave it there.

They may remember you later, or they may not. Better forgotten than remembered as a douche.

Reactions: 11 users
Don't try to impress anyone or do anything related to getting into med school. Just go and have a good time and meet people.

Reactions: 5 users
Can't speak for anyone else, but I would take it as an opportunity to create a positive presence in the community. Speak with people, make them laugh, don't mention why you're there unless asked. Make friends with people and be social. If the conversation is going well and they happen to be on the adcom just mention you're applying and that everyone seems really nice. Don't dwell on it. If they really like you and are receptive they'll continue on the subject. Definitely don't force any kind conversation on admissions. Basically, i'd want people to say "hey that guy is awesome!"

Remember, it's not who you know but how you know them. If you make friends with the adcom first, they'll be more receptive to admissions discussions. If the topic doesn't come up, don't sweat it! If you leave a great impression they'll remember you when the time comes.

Well yeah obviously I'm not going to ask the new med students about how they answered their secondary. But if I had the opportunity to speak with an Adcom what should I say/ask?

Introduce yourself. Say something nice about the ceremony. Maybe mention you are an applicant. No more than that. Hang out with your friends/family and don't expect anything.

Adcoms are going to be meeting their students, their student's family/friends, etc... Nobody is going to remember you after the night. And its probably best to keep it that way.

Just go there to enjoy yourself and have a sneak peek at what's to come in the future. It's a white coat ceremony, not a med school convention.
Congratulate the students as they will probably be too hyped up to give you feedback on your EC's and study tips.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was invited to a white coat ceremony for medical school that I'm applying to. There will be a reception and a chance to converse with the new med students and the Adcom among other people.
Various schools might do this differently, but personally, I've never been given a name tag that identifies me as an Admissions Committee Member. If I introduce myself, I mention my faculty role.

So I agree with:
Hang out with your friends or family.
Don't try to impress anyone or do anything related to getting into med school. Just go and have a good time and meet people.
don't expect anything.

OP who invited you? I assume a friend or family member. It's their day not yours. I doubt there will be much time to mingle and hand out cards. Use the opportunity to get a feel for the school. How do students seem to relate/interact with each other and faculty/staff. Of course the whole thing is a staged event but you can still pick up nuances. Just enjoy the event and dream about your White Coat Ceremony.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
I can't imagine anything you could do that would make you memorable in a positive way.
You could make yourself memorable.
Or you can make a vaguely positive impression.
But definitely not both.

I would be really low key, hang out, observe, remember salient points from dean regarding school, mission, medicine. Use what I learn subtlety in my interview down the road. Offer to take photos for people....people like there whole family together and often don't ask......

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for all the replies. For a little context, I was invited because I received an award from the medical school and they present it at the ceremony. Last thing I want to do is come off as a classic neurotic SDN premed to the entire med school faculty so thanks again for the good advice!

Well if singling you out for an award during the ceremony isn't memorable enough I can't imagine what you could do to make it more memorable.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Thank you for all the replies. For a little context, I was invited because I received an award from the medical school and they present it at the ceremony. Last thing I want to do is come off as a classic neurotic SDN premed to the entire med school faculty so thanks again for the good advice!

You're golden. Just don't forget the business cards.

You just wanted to brag, huh? ;)

Reactions: 4 users
You just wanted to brag, huh? ;)
Isn't that why were all on SDN constantly? To either confirm or deny the meaningless suffering of our everlasting humanistic ego?

And also to read the occasional lol troll thread. Some are 10/10 would recommend.

Even more reason to lay low and listen. You have now been identified as a premed, anything aggressive can only hurt...

Go in scrubs. Shows them you're enthusiastic and ahead of the game. Adcoms admire a go-getter attitude.

If you really wanna impress, grab a spare white coat from the bookstore or amazon or whatever and walk up on stage at the very end and announce your intentions for enrolling there.

Go in scrubs. Shows them you're enthusiastic and ahead of the game. Adcoms admire a go-getter attitude.

If you really wanna impress, grab a spare white coat from the bookstore or amazon or whatever and walk up on stage at the very end and announce your intentions for enrolling there.

This. Also, don't forget the business cards.