What would you do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by A-DOG, May 30, 2000.

  1. A-DOG

    A-DOG Member

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2000
    Messages:
    41
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am currently accepted at Sackler School of Medicine in Israel, and am on Accept/Hold Status at NYCOM. I love NY, and am nervous about living in Israel for four years. So, I was wondering what you guys would do in my situation? My only weak point of my app. is a 7 on verbal. I am applying for the Americorps for the 2000-2001 school year, and thinking about taking the MCAT again over the summer. I was also wondering if I applied to other Osteopathic schools on the E. coast such as PCOM and LECOM will I be able to get an Osteopathic residency in NY. Time is running out, and I must make a decision. Thanks for the help.
     
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. siulrc

    siulrc Member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2000
    Messages:
    92
    Likes Received:
    0
    hey if i was you i would stay and see waht happens here. if you are not absolutely sure on going to ISreal then don't go. I would take my chances here (home) and after I have squeeze every once of opportinity here I would start thing about leaving the states fro my mdical education. Applying again to the schools that you mentioned is not a bad idea at all. Plus, you should be able to find a residency in NY coming from one of those schools. Good luck!
    Keep posting

    ------------------
    siul
     
  4. Dr JPH

    Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2000
    Messages:
    5,910
    Likes Received:
    31
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Your hesitation on living in Israel for four years seems to be reason enough to say in the U.S.
    Best of luck!



    ------------------
    Josh Hazelton
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
    "D.O. Wannabe"
     
  5. PEwing

    PEwing Member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2000
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    I would re-apply to NYCOM and some other osteopathic schools before going to Sackler. Apply early, that always helps. Also, this summer take the MCATs again if you feel that it would help. I think you should defer your acceptance to Sackler, so that you have the option to go there if you need to do so. I was in a similar situation and I was able to get into NYCOM.

    [This message has been edited by PEwing (edited 05-30-2000).]
     
  6. A-DOG

    A-DOG Member

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2000
    Messages:
    41
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for the advice guys/gals. I do not mean to brag or knock myself for that matter, but I need advice. So, here are my MCAT score: 29R (7V), I have 300+ hours in Neuro. research, 2 years volunteer exp., honor society memberships, a high GPA and, if I do not go to Sackler, plan on entering the Americorps. For D.O. school, do you think I will need to retake the MCAT for admission? In addition, do you think I'd have trouble getting in at least one of these schools: NYCOM, PCOM, UNECOM, LECOM, CCOM, or Touro? As a graduate of the latter five, do you think I would have trouble obtaining a psychiatry residency in NY? Sorry for the self centeredness of these questions.
     
  7. siulrc

    siulrc Member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2000
    Messages:
    92
    Likes Received:
    0
    A-dog: go ahead and reapply. Yuo have a good enough record to at least get interviewed at any of the schools mentioned. Its all up to you do well in the interview. Good luck!
    keep posting.

    ------------------
    siul
     
  8. UHS2002

    UHS2002 Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 1999
    Messages:
    508
    Likes Received:
    0
    I don't think you will have any problem getting an interview at any of the schools you mentioned and, I would bet, a few acceptances. Getting a psych residency won't be a problem either. Your MCAT is good enough if you have a high GPA to counterbalance it so, if I was in your position, I would not retake it.

    As for Sackler, medical schools in Israel are very good. The only problem is that, no matter how good they are, you still have to jump through the IMGs loops here in the US. You have better chances of getting a good residency by going to a DO school than by going to a foreign school, unless you are one of the exalted few IMGs with truly outstanding USMLE scores. Then you would have the combination of a very good medical education and the scores to back it up. It is a greater gamble. If you are already having some doubts, stay here and go to a DO school.
     
  9. A-DOG

    A-DOG Member

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2000
    Messages:
    41
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for the advice.
     

Share This Page