Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ajay786, Jan 1, 2009.

1. ajay786

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Happy New Year everyone!!

I need your help. I am a second year student at a 4 year university. Last summer, I took 3 classes over the summer which include Gen. Chem I & II as well as Calculus II. I am debating whether or not I should take Physics I and/or Physics II over this coming summer. What would you recommend? What would you do? Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,

AJ

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WolverineDoc13

WolverineDoc13 Good Times in the Midwest
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It's possible. I've seen students do it before, and no one is stopping you from taking those courses.

However, I have to ask: why are you doing this? Is there a reason why physics can't wait until the fall/winter semesters?

I only ask because you can spend the summer shadowing, volunteering, working, or doing something else that would be more beneficial for you.

Just a thought.

4. ajay786

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well I have three reasons
    1. I want to take the MCAT as soon as possible in case I need to retake them and that way it wouldn't interfere with me applying asap in June of next year.
    2. Physics is really hard at my school.
    3. My gpa is not that stellar and I can use the boost.

As far as shadowing goes, I have more than 80 hours so far. I also volunteer once a week in the er at the hospital. I see your point though.

5. JacksonInTheBox

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you really think it would be best to take physics during the summer, then do it. There nothing keeping you from doing other stuff as well, such as shadowing or volunteering along with it...you'll just have a busy summer.

This also means you could have more time during the school year, with all the summer credits you are racking up, to do some other extra curriculars.

My roommate took physics over the summer as well because physics was really tough at our school and it worked out great for him.

Unless you have a true interest in physics just take an easier class over the summer. You will never use it again except on the MCAT and its not super in depth.

6. WolverineDoc13

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    In that case, why not? a few thoughts though:

1.) With your drive, I doubt you'll need to take the MCAT more than once. In fact, I wouldn't plan on it, because it is a b*tch to study for.

2.) Many advisors highly recommend taking these classes at a 4-year institution (not a community college)

3.) What other EC's are you part of? I know volunteering and shadowing are important, but I hope you're having fun as well. For example, I had fun with my advising experiences and with student government during college. It's not hospital shadowing, but I enjoyed it -- despite how it appeared on my apps.

All work and no play makes Jack/Jane a dull applicant... :cool:

Good luck, though!

7. WolverineDoc13

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    One more thought (before it leaves my head)

If your school is famously hard for physics (mine is), be careful taking it at another school. Med schools usually look down upon students who take the easy route and go to less challenging schools to take care of requirements. One of my colleagues at Michigan (a pre-med advisor) suggested that med schools mainly support taking requirements at other schools if (and only if) there is no room during the fall/winter semesters.

Do what you want. That's just some food for thought.

8. ajay786

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    ..EC: Indian Student's Association, CERT (school's emergency response team), AMSA (board member),AED, note taker (took notes for students with disabilities),

For fun: weight lifting, boxing, poker, enjoying the college experience

Do you think that even though I have already taken those 3 classes last summer, I can still take physics I and/or II over this coming summer without it affecting my chances for medical school? If I don't take physics I and/or II, I was planning on becoming EMT certified since I have a passion for emergency medicine and study for the MCAT. Is it possible to get EMT certified as well as take Physics I and/or Physics II over summer or is that too much? Thanks.

9. ajay786

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  10. jult24er

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  11. katarina90

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My opinion would be go for it. I did the same thing as you last summer (both Gen chems and UD Human Anatomy class), and enjoyed it. In all honesty I probably would have spent my time much less efficiently if I hadn't taken summer school. I plan on doing it again this upcoming summer.

Although I don't know what the repercussions would be if you took it at another school. (i did all my summer classes at my home institution).

12. ajay786

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the advice. Anymore advice would be helpful! Thanks again.