what would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunny9505

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there! I would appreciate any advice people have on this:

I am doing a rotation at a site I really want for residency in September and I am doing it in the field I am applying for. I have an open 4 weeks in October and am wondering if it would in any way increase my chances of getting a spot at this hospital if I do another rotation there- in a different area (remind them of my face...). I don't know how much exposure I would have to the residents I'd be working with hotugh, since I would be doing a different specialty. It would be really convienient if I come back to this hospital because of living situations and some other stuff going on (weddings I would have to be in town for...). If I come back to this site though, I'm worried I would risk not being seen and not seeing another potential site. Could you let me know what you would do in this situation? Do you think September is too early to rotate somewhere you are very interested in for residency? Thanks!:confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I'd spend the 4 weeks somewhere else (ie, not putting all my eggs in one basket); if you've done well during your first four weeks at the hospital of your choice, I don't think you need to remind them of your existence.

If you are asking whether or not doing an away rotation in September of your FOURTH year is too early, ABSOLUTELY NOT. Remember if using ERAS/NRMP for your residency applications, you can start sending in stuff about that time. If you rotate during the month of September and give your letter writers at least 2 weeks to write your LOR, you're looking at mid to late October. Depending on the field, some residencies close applications early November-December.

IMHO, September is not too early.