What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NTG98

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone even ever gotten this unique combination of scores?

Alright, so when I took the test, I felt a little bad about PS and VR, but I felt like I aced BS. My lowest BS score in practice was a 10, and that was before I had studied ANYTHING. That was just going off of test-taking skills.

I have this grade prediction system that hasn't ever failed me. Basically, I circle every question I'm not 95% sure of (you know, since technically you can't be 100% sure of anything...) If I don't remember or can't find from the passage something specific by which to place my trust in a certain answer, I circle it.

So I get sort of a baseline score: If I miss every question I am unsure of, plus about 2 or 3 for a super-worst case estimate, I get a lowest baseline score. Usually, I'll then add half of the questions I narrowed down (I can always narrow it to 2) to get an average score.

With that in mind, on my MCAT, my lowest PS would have been a 9, lowest VR would have been a 9, lowest BS would have been an 11 (I circled 5 BS questions). Averages would have been 12 PS/ 11 VR/ 13 BS, and best case of course something like a 43 total (I checked afterwards and had missed 3 of the ones I guessed on)

My MCAT score is 12 PS/12 VR/ 5 BS...

Yeah right. There's about zero chance I missed 3/5ths of the BS questions. I can see someone getting their 5 in VR, but usually the sciences don't split like that. Plus, I finished #1 out of 100 in general bio, and I'm not exactly a poor test taker.

For crying out loud my lowest practice BS was a 10, when I hadn't even glanced at any MCAT material yet. After I knew what I was doing, I was averaging 12s on BS.

I will say, I started the test about 20-25 minutes later than the start time, due to finger scanner problems. The lady had to reset my registration. Then I took every minute of every break, so if there was some sort of absolute timer in addition to the per-section timers, perhaps that was what nailed me. I was the only person in the room for the last 40 minutes or so.

What would you guys do? I should be sitting pretty with a cool 37ish, but instead I don't have a shot with my current marks. Coulda woulda shoulda, too bad excuses don't get you into med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Damn, that sucks dude. It sounds like you got screwed by AAMC, since your practice scores in bio should have been indicative of your actual score. At this point, there's really nothing we can tell you. The obvious thing to do would be to ask for a regrade, but AAMC is unlikely to change anything because they don't like admitting they're wrong. Just cross your fingers and hope that a regrade improves your score. :xf:

If that doesn't work out, then the only thing left to do is retake the test. As sucky as that may sound, it shouldn't be too difficult for you, seeing your score for the other two sections. Getting a 12 in verbal isn't a joke, so I'd hate to waste that score. But if you can get that score in the first place, you can certainly get it again. :)

Last edited:
I would apply with this score and see what will happen. I never seen a combination like this. The admission committee will most likely question the accuracy of your BS score as well. I mean if you can pull a 12 on PS you can pull at least a 9 on BS. I'm sorry for this. I doubt it is because you started later. It is very common for students to start their test 30 to even 45 min later than the start time. Its even discussed in the MCAT essentials. However, if the lady had to reset your computer, maybe this messed up your answers? sometimes mistakes happen. I would request a re-score as well.

Hmmm, I forgot to update this...

I first talked to my advisor because he is kind of a big shot as far as pre-med advisors go (either that or he's a really good faker lol). He agreed that 12/12/5 just doesn't happen legitimately, and he told me I was kind of in a nightmare situation. He said that even if the AAMC found (and admitted) a problem, they'd likely void my whole test, not just the problematic section. He advised me to sign up for a retake, assume they'll void it, and apply as early as possible still, even though it'll be near the deadline at that time.

When I called the AAMC, they were just as bad as I thought they'd be. I'm sure they get people complaining about their score all the time, so they lady was very guarded, and even though she was trying to be helpful, she just didn't divulge much of anything. I asked her if my timer theory held up, and she went to check on it. When she returned, her answer was that she didn't know and couldn't find the information. :laugh: Nice!

She said that they wouldn't void my whole test if it was rescored, and she said that even though errors are rare, they do happen. She said my only option at this point was to pay the $55 rescore for peace of mind. She kept saying that phrase- "peace of mind"... I wonder if they're trained to say that? Peace of mind, my ass; I just want my 5 changed, which unfortunately seems unlikely at this point.

And again, maybe I did miss 30 questions on bio. But the process by which I find out is so convoluted and shrouded that there's no way I'm just gonna take their word on anything. And since it's my life, I'm going to investigate this under the assumption that I'm right: it'd be foolish otherwise. I mean, I program computers myself, and I know that something as simple as an array shift due to a regex issue is as little as it takes to mess everything up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go for the remark. You should get the woman's name who said that they won't void your whole test as proof just in case they decide it was a mistake and try to void your entire thing.

Dude, you sound like you're a regular smart guy and if you can get 12s in PS and VR, there's NO way you can get a 5 in BS. Your point regarding being at a 10 before even studying is exactly right - who studies for 2 months and goes down 5 points from their baseline in the (arguably) easiest section of the exam?

Worst case scenario is they lie and say you actually got a 5, and you have to rewrite the MCAT.

Best case scenario is you go up to a 9 or a 10 or whatever you deserve.

Yeah i could see a 5 in VR, but not a 5 in BS when you have 12s in the other sections. AAMC needs to rescore your test.

The thing is, if the error was computer-side, where it didn't record the answers as expected and failed to trasmit them to AAMC, then even the rescore won't detect it. But I think this situation is highly unlikely.

The thing is, if the error was computer-side, where it didn't record the answers as expected and failed to trasmit them to AAMC, then even the rescore won't detect it. But I think this situation is highly unlikely.

Yeah, that's my fear. I called them again and talked to a guy this time. He was more straightforward and told me that I probably did really earn the 5 and that they wouldn't likely change anything, although he did say errors do occur. He said he has seen all sorts of scores, so I likely don't have any sympathy from the AAMC.

But I'll keep trying. I don't think I'll ever believe I missed 30 questions unless they would somehow give me the video of my test. But that won't happen.

I program computers, so I know how these errors happen, and happen they do. And you're absolutely right in that they wouldn't be able to detect anything in the rescore. I don't see why they can't just access the video feed and watch what answers I put. Then if I really am wrong, I can eat my words, be humbled, and move on. If not though...

Yeah, that's my fear. I called them again and talked to a guy this time. He was more straightforward and told me that I probably did really earn the 5 and that they wouldn't likely change anything, although he did say errors do occur. He said he has seen all sorts of scores, so I likely don't have any sympathy from the AAMC.

But I'll keep trying. I don't think I'll ever believe I missed 30 questions unless they would somehow give me the video of my test. But that won't happen.

I program computers, so I know how these errors happen, and happen they do. And you're absolutely right in that they wouldn't be able to detect anything in the rescore. I don't see why they can't just access the video feed and watch what answers I put. Then if I really am wrong, I can eat my words, be humbled, and move on. If not though...

I don't think it would be a timing issue, if you started late your test began late. I think the information is transmitted when you want to have your MCAT graded. I doubt it would only track you for X amount of time regardless, then 40 minutes ask you if you wanted it scored. Though, that is the only explanation I have for scoring that low after doing so well on the other sections.

If they do a rescore, wouldn't they be able to tell you "Hey, you didn't answer 30 questions?" or "Our system doesn't have entries for these questions."

Also, I'd sign up for another date that's soon ASAP regardless.

well from my understanding is that rescores are done by hand so if a computer messed up in the scoring process then thatll be fixed but if it was a computer error in putting in ur answers well then ur SOL....you can submit the rescore (i think you said u alrdy did) and just keep studying and sign up to retake it if the rescore doesnt come back fruitful
and btw its definitely not a timing issue...i didnt start the exam until an hr and a half past the start time due to computer issues (they almost sent us home) and my score was just fine....everybody is on their own time