What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medica2006

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior graduating in May. I am very busy with school work and I also work twenty hours a week, not by choice. I have already been accepted to MCW, but I have yet to hear from my state school. I have a chance to take the MCAT in April and have my scores considered for my 2002 application at U of C. U of C is a wonderful school and I would rather go there than MCW, but I don't know if I would go to U of C over my state school because of price. My question is should I take the MCAT again and try to get into U of C, or should I just wait and see if I get into my state school and if not go to MCW. Also is it too late to start studying. Do you think I should go for it or will I make a fool of my self.

Members don't see this ad.

Turing down an acceptance to reapply and go somewhere else is looked upon VERY badly in the eyes of admissions committee members. There's another thread somewhere where a guy said it very succinctly: if you've got a shot at being a doctor and didn't take it, what does that say about your dedication to the field? Right now i would pray U of C (cincinnati? chicago?) and/or your state school gives you the thumbs up, but if not, i think you'll have to go to MCW (what a horrific alternative :wink: - c'mon, you're INTO med school!) --Trek

"a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush!"

Old saying, but a good one here. Even if you decide to retake the MCAT, you have NO guarantee to a CU acceptance, and it sounds like retaking won't affect your chances at your state school.

If I were you, I'd just wait on the state school thing, and if nothing happens I'd go to MCW!

Of course, NO ONE could EVER bribe, cajole, or threaten ME into taking the MCAT again...