Quantcast

What would you guys do in my situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Impulse155

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2009
Messages
622
Reaction score
12

Members don't see this ad.
So, when I was a freshman I took Bio 202 (introduction to cellular and molec. bio) and I received a D in it. Obviously I have to retake it and I unfortunately put it off until my senior year.
In order to graduate I have to take 4 upper division courses. 1 of them requires bio 202 as a pre req.
I originally planned to take Bio 202 in this upcoming fall and my upper divison biology with 202 as a pre req in the spring. That would have been fine.
However my school sucks and implemented a new policy due to budget cuts. I cannot enroll in the course until August. Freshmen, trasnfers, sophmores etc all havepriority over a retake senior.
Options:
1) Take the class over the summer (really dont want to) which I am guarentee'd a spot in. And then take my upper division in the spring like planned.

2) Or I can stay enrolled in the summer class, and keep updating on the bio 202 fall class and hope to get in. If I dont, that means I cant take my upper division in the spring and I have no chance to graduate on time. However the chance for my to enroll in the fall bio 202 is AFTER the drop date for the summer one. So I would have to make my decision for it and I still risk not getting in in that month period of time.

3) I can not take it in the summer, hope to get in in the fall. If not, take it in the spring and take a different upper division that upcoming fall (a year from this fall) and not graduate on time. Also puruse a chemistry minor since I will be a TA for organic chemistry 1 and 2 I will only need to take 1 more class for the minor and it can be biochemistry which would help for dental school. Also, I am taking a year off anyway so this is one thing I can fill that year with.

Other information:
There are 2 sections, and a total of about 200 seats left in the class out of about 800. Majority of students that will be taking it have already signed up for the class.
I already spoke to the professor of the class and she said I can most likely get into the earlier secion (has about 170 seats left out of 570) but she cant guarentee me anything.
Both professors said that there is no exception that can be made for me unforunately.
I am taking a year off regardless
My advisor does not one to tell me to do either one since she doesnt want to tell me to wait for the fall and not get in and make me stay another semester, nor does she want to tell me to take it, ruin my summer, and end up having bio 202 fall be open

Which option would you guys take?
Would you take a different route?
****ty situation im in, eh?
 

FLOSS UR TEETH

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Messages
668
Reaction score
3
why do you not want to take it in the summer? I would take it in the summer considering it's a pre-req for many of your other biology requirements. Also, during your gap year, I would consider doing a one-year masters program, taking full load of upper science courses, doing research, full-time job, or studying abroad instead of just taking biochemistry and being a TA. When are you applying to dental school?
 

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
5,646
Reaction score
161
Which option would you guys take?
Would you take a different route?

I would do the smarter option... Get this Bio 202 out of the way ASAP.... Basically I am suggesting Option 2.

Stay in this class and hope to get into the fall. If fall doesn't pan out, just get it over with in the summer. I think classes (like basic biology) are more tolerable over the summer because... 6-8 weeks and boring crap and your done.
 

Impulse155

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2009
Messages
622
Reaction score
12
why do you not want to take it in the summer? I would take it in the summer considering it's a pre-req for many of your other biology requirements. Also, during your gap year, I would consider doing a one-year masters program, taking full load of upper science courses, doing research, full-time job, or studying abroad instead of just taking biochemistry and being a TA. When are you applying to dental school?

I will be applying not this june but the following. And I am already being a TA for orgo 1 (for the recommendation) but if I had to stay for an extra semester I would have taken my upper division and biochem the fall after this upcoming one.
Reason i dont want to take it over the summer is because
1) I got a D already, dont want to retake it ove the summer where it will look like I took the easier route.
2) I was offered to be supervisor where I work over the summer. Thats 20$ an hour
3) its 3 days a week, 3 hours each day (930-1230). On M,W,Th. The hours they would give me supervisor are T-Th 930-1230, might be able to have them switch it to 130-3.
4) I might have an internship at a well known oral surgeon aroud where I live. Im not sure how many hours a week he will be asking for me to work/intern with him.
5) I also have 2 other dentists I would have been shadowing (both are professors at a dental school as well, even the same one)
6) I most likely wont be as focused as I would be if I took it in the fall

Edit:
I would do the smarter option... Get this Bio 202 out of the way ASAP.... Basically I am suggesting Option 2.

Stay in this class and hope to get into the fall. If fall doesn't pan out, just get it over with in the summer. I think classes (like basic biology) are more tolerable over the summer because... 6-8 weeks and boring crap and your done.

Yea I am probably going to end up doing number 2 as well. Only thing is I have no idea if I will be able to get in until after the drop date for the summer.
Kind of ******ed how they have it structured huh.
 

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
5,646
Reaction score
161
Yea I am probably going to end up doing number 2 as well. Only thing is I have no idea if I will be able to get in until after the drop date for the summer.
Kind of ******ed how they have it structured huh.

they prolly do that on purpose. To prevent people from dropping last minute out of summer cause they got the same class in the fall.

Just get it over with during the summer session. It is a D,so.... retake is without a doubt, the sooner you get it done, the better.
 

slm266

Dentist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2008
Messages
1,000
Reaction score
29
Impulse, if you normally take classes in the summer I would go ahead and retake then if it makes a difference in getting into DS 1 yr earlier. Also don't let a summer job or internship get in the way.

I chose not to take OCII in the summer but instead did an externship at a nonprofit clinic. I kinda wish I had finished OCII, taken the DAT and applied a yr sooner bc having a year off sucks. Baylor in my interview there said they prefer students that do not have a break between undergrad and DS.

I didn't read the OPs options and just scimmed through your situation, but I'm just saying that I wish I hadn't waited an extra year. Even if you don't get in, it's a great opportunity to contact deans of admissions to get feedback on things you can improve on. They love reapplicants who improve on the things they tell them.
 

Impulse155

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2009
Messages
622
Reaction score
12
Impulse, if you normally take classes in the summer I would go ahead and retake then if it makes a difference in getting into DS 1 yr earlier. Also don't let a summer job or internship get in the way.

I chose not to take OCII in the summer but instead did an externship at a nonprofit clinic. I kinda wish I had finished OCII, taken the DAT and applied a yr sooner bc having a year off sucks. Baylor in my interview there said they prefer students that do not have a break between undergrad and DS.

I didn't read the OPs options and just scimmed through your situation, but I'm just saying that I wish I hadn't waited an extra year. Even if you don't get in, it's a great opportunity to contact deans of admissions to get feedback on things you can improve on. They love reapplicants who improve on the things they tell them.

Well I thinkt hat I dont have much of a choice right now. Reason for me taking the year off is because im a junior right now with a 2.87 gpa. After this semester ill be hovering ~3.0 so I felt I wouldnt be very competitive.
Also its kind of tough for me to be applying this cycle just to get the feel since I would have to take my DAT in 2 months lol

Btw my advisor is a ****ing *****.
 

slm266

Dentist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2008
Messages
1,000
Reaction score
29
Well I thinkt hat I dont have much of a choice right now. Reason for me taking the year off is because im a junior right now with a 2.87 gpa. After this semester ill be hovering ~3.0 so I felt I wouldnt be very competitive.
Also its kind of tough for me to be applying this cycle just to get the feel since I would have to take my DAT in 2 months lol

Btw my advisor is a ****ing *****.

Gotcha. K I'd still take summer classes to help dilute that GPA.
In fact that is your #1 goal along with studying for the DAT. Id quit working so you can handle 17-18 credits of 4.0 to up that GPA.
 
Last edited:

Impulse155

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2009
Messages
622
Reaction score
12
Gotcha. K I'd still take summer classes to help dilute that GPA.
In fact that is your #1 goal along with studying for the DAT. Id quit working so you can handle 17-18 credits of 4.0 to up that GPA.

yea i stopped working during the semester. Made my life a lot easier and less stressful on weekends. Last semester I pulled a 3.5 and this semester I have the potential to 4.0 but ill prolly end with a 3.8 or so and ive had a steady improvement per semester
 

DJPaulyDDS

Full Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2010
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Take 202 in the summer. Its easier anyway. makes no sense to take it in the fall and have to compete for that top 10% for an A out of a huge class like that. (pretty sure 202 works that way).

why are you going to TA for organic and pay for the credits espec if its an extra semester? But if you have the money and are willing to spend the time doing it (approx 10 a week), def go for it. Its a great review for the DAT.
 

Impulse155

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2009
Messages
622
Reaction score
12
Take 202 in the summer. Its easier anyway. makes no sense to take it in the fall and have to compete for that top 10% for an A out of a huge class like that. (pretty sure 202 works that way).

why are you going to TA for organic and pay for the credits espec if its an extra semester? But if you have the money and are willing to spend the time doing it (approx 10 a week), def go for it. Its a great review for the DAT.

The way its working is
Im TA'ing organic chem this upcoming fall so that I can have the recommendation since I need it.
As of right now I am not going to be TA'ing organic chem 2 in the spring assuming I take bio 202 over the summer. Thats because I wont need to and I wont finish with a chem minor
Now if I take the other route, and wait until the fall. Lets say that I dont get into bio 202. I then have to stay an extra semester. That means that I can TA organic 2 in the spring (a year from now) and take my upper division that has bio 202 as a pre req that extra semester in the fall. I also now only need 1 more chem class to be considered a chem minor. So I would then just take bio chem 1, and upper division bio and im done and I leave with a chem minor. But I am staying an extra semester.
 
Top