What would you have done differently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jshlaferman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, this mostly goes out to those applying to, or have already applied to dental school. I will be starting my first undergrad semester at a small private college this fall and was wondering what you guys would suggest I focus on right at the start of school. If you could go back to where I am now, what would you have done differently/changed? My first semester courses consist of chem 103, calc 1, bio 105(cell/molec.), and sociology 101, along with labs in both sciences. My major is biochemistry with a pre-dental track. Thank you for any responses!!

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I would have taken some of my classes more seriously, stayed more focused, and be more on top of my grades.

Reactions: 1 users
Start shadowing and volunteering now!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, this mostly goes out to those applying to, or have already applied to dental school. I will be starting my first undergrad semester at a small private college this fall and was wondering what you guys would suggest I focus on right at the start of school. If you could go back to where I am now, what would you have done differently/changed? My first semester courses consist of chem 103, calc 1, bio 105(cell/molec.), and sociology 101, along with labs in both sciences. My major is biochemistry with a pre-dental track. Thank you for any responses!!

I wish I would have taken some of my classes more seriously, stayed more focused, and be more on top of my grades.

I'm on the opposite side of the fence; I worked really hard my first two years (going into my third year now). I wish I had taken it more easily and joined more social events because now, I'm halfway done with my UG...and those are years I'll never get back. Going to take it more easy these next 2 years.

I guess what I'm saying is...make sure to volunteer, work hard, etc., but don't forget to have a great college experience as well.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll also be playing D3 men's volleyball along with other intramural sports and clubs. So I guess I'll just have to find a happy medium and try not to overwhelm myself.

What is the advantage?

Big advantage.

1. Can take as much time as you need to prep; whereas if you're trying to apply early after junior year, you don't have that flexibility

2. Material more fresh in your head.

Appreciate where you are today and recognize how your shortcomings contribute to who you are today. My academic resume is far from perfect but I don't have any regrets, life always has a way of working itself out.

Big advantage.

1. Can take as much time as you need to prep; whereas if you're trying to apply early after junior year, you don't have that flexibility

2. Material more fresh in your head.
When do you suggest to start preparing?

When do you suggest to start preparing?

Most people who completed junior year/rising seniors try to take it earlier...like in June or July. This can be good or bad...It's good in that they are probably more efficient than me hahaha, but it's bad in that they can be under more pressure, whereas I'm just enjoying my study pace right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm a rising junior.
I took 2-3 weeks off in May after end of sophomore year. Began studying June 1. Taking my exam in Aug. I'll have another 1-2 weeks off before the start of junior year.

Most people who completed junior year/rising seniors try to take it earlier...like in June or July.
Plus I just finished a year of OChem and it is VERY fresh in my mind.

Looking back, I don't regret taking this path, and I'm very grateful to the people who advised me to take my DAT after sophomore year.

Side effect/benefit of this is that I've finished the big DAT prereqs and now my remaining 2 years are going to be full of the elective courses that I WANT to take as opposed to classes that I need to take.

If it goes well, all I have to worry about next year is the AADSAS application.
Awesome advice, thank you so much! I wish the best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a rising junior.
I took 2-3 weeks off in May after end of sophomore year. Began studying June 1. Taking my exam in Aug. I'll have another 1-2 weeks off before the start of junior year.

Most people who completed junior year/rising seniors try to take it earlier...like in June or July. This can be good or bad...It's good in that they are probably more efficient than me hahaha, but it's bad in that they can be under more pressure, whereas I'm just enjoying my study pace right now.

Plus I just finished a year of OChem and it is VERY fresh in my mind.

Looking back, I don't regret taking this path, and I'm very grateful to the people who advised me to take my DAT after sophomore year.

Side effect/benefit of this is that I've finished the big DAT prereqs and now my remaining 2 years are going to be full of the elective courses that I WANT to take as opposed to classes that I need to take.

If it goes well, all I have to worry about next year is the AADSAS application.

wait arent you applying this cycle?

As many have already mentioned, plan ahead for the DAT! I was doing a lot of research in the lab I work at, volunteering at shelters and clinics, and taking a full class load while studying for the DAT. I did good, but I could have done better. As the saying goes, "Failing to plan, is planning to fail"...

Something I was very happy that I did early was getting involved in research. Many professors want you to have the basic sciences done before doing research, but if your school offers research opportunities take it! Its a great opportunity to learn "real" science and many PIs will write very strong evaluations for both your personality/character and your abilities in science.

Its good that you are already asking these questions and posting on SDN. Good luck!

As many have already mentioned, plan ahead for the DAT! I was doing a lot of research in the lab I work at, volunteering at shelters and clinics, and taking a full class load while studying for the DAT. I did good, but I could have done better. As the saying goes, "Failing to plan, is planning to fail"...

Something I was very happy that I did early was getting involved in research. Many professors want you to have the basic sciences done before doing research, but if your school offers research opportunities take it! Its a great opportunity to learn "real" science and many PIs will write very strong evaluations for both your personality/character and your abilities in science.

Its good that you are already asking these questions and posting on SDN. Good luck!
Luckily, my school offers research to freshmen, and since I am in the advanced chem course I should have the upper-hand on snagging that opportunity :) thanks a lot!

Also keeping track of volunteering/shadowing I've done and the hours. It will save a lot of time later trying to remember what you've done.

Volunteer more in things which you are passionate about
Shadow with a dentist that lets you get hands on experience
Study for a dental assistant license

Most important though is to keep your grades up and make your GPA your #1 priority, especially during your first two semesters. If you do poorly your first year, it will become much more difficult to raise your GPA when the difficulty of your classes increases.

Take the DAT after your sophomore year while the material is still fresh.

I wish I had gotten krunk more, went to more parties, and taken it more easy

I wish I have gotten a driver's license so I could drive around to volunteer/shadow widely

and a car.

Last edited:
As for the DAT, I wish I took more upperlevel Bio classes prior to taking it. I believe I took it at the right time which the summer after junior year...like 2 days ago.

As for the DAT, I wish I took more upperlevel Bio classes prior to taking it. I believe I took it at the right time which the summer after junior year...like 2 days ago.
Which upper level bio classes would have helped?

Which upper level bio classes would have helped?
Cell Bio, Physiology, and Biochemistry. During sophomore year you probably will take Genetics anyway which is also helpful.