What would you have done differently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bornunderatree

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As non-traditional students, we often don't have the mentorship of those familiar with the application process.
That being said, what would you have done differently now that you are familiar with the process? What advice do you have to others in our shoes?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Don't be afraid of your age. The fear of not being accepted into a school made me go for less ideal options (Caribbean). Plenty of non-trads get into US schools, just try your hardest and avoid the Caribbean like the plague.

2. Pay for MCAT classes. Get a private tutor. Do whatever you have to in order to pulverize that test.

3. DO isn't bad.

4. Don't do CC science classes. Yes, it's convenient, but you pay for it in the end.

5. Shadow now. Just ask your doctor, or any doctor (I've never had one say no).

6. Get experience before you leap. Most physicians would not let their own children go into medicine (or at least try and talk them out of it) -- figure out why that is before you jump into 100k+ debt.

7. NP/PA isn't bad. They're great options that should be considered if you're really interested in healthcare and the time investment isn't has steep (which is valuable for us non-trads with families). Having to tell your kid you can't do XYZ with them because you're studying sucks -- and doing that for 4+ years of their lives means that you miss out on a lot of stuff (first steps, first word, recitals at school, etc ad nauseum).

Reactions: 2 users
Nontrad can mean so many things. Everyone struggles for their own reasons. Looking back at my own past it would be easy to say oh .... I wish I would have... but life lessons mold who you are.

Bottom line is that if medicine is what you want you have to do what it takes to find your motivation... whatever that is. If you have the desire than not much can stop you. Life is about finding what makes you happy. You can have a great relationship with your kid / family and not be there all the time. But if you think you want to be that kind of parent to find your happiness than think carefully about your choices.

I went to CC and carib and I matched into my #1 university IM program so to each his own but yes AMG is obviously preferred.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As non-traditional students, we often don't have the mentorship of those familiar with the application process.
That being said, what would you have done differently now that you are familiar with the process? What advice do you have to others in our shoes?

You should look at what's needed for a successful application and recognize that somethings you can control very nicely (e.g. how many volunteer hours you end up with) and somethings you can't. For the things you can control,do your best to achieve excellence.

1. Academics: Go to the best school where you're confident you can get A's. When possible, choose in-person over online and four year university over CC.
2. MCAT: Don't reinvent the wheel. Pick a plan from a reputable source and stick to it.
3. Shadowing: Start now. Lots of people complain about how hard it is to find opportunities so don't wait.
4. Non-clinical volunteering: Find something you truly care about and start now. Try to work your way into a leadership role at the organization.
5. Clinical volunteering: Contact your local hospital/clinic/hospice and start now.
6. LORs: Figure out who you're going to ask. Rekindle old relationships as necessary or lay the groundwork to ask future professors by being engaged in class, going to office hours, etc.
7. Research: If you can find an opportunity as a non-trad definitely go for it.
8. Timing: Make a plan that lets you apply early (i.e. May). That means taking the MCAT no later than April, which in turn means having all your prereqs done the previous fall. Ask for LORs no later than January. Use the spring semester to prewrite your PS and secondaries in addition to prepping for the MCAT.

I'm just entering med school this summer (finally!) and still deciding which school is the best fit for my career goals, but I'll add a few tidbits from my experience:

1. If you feel called to the profession, don't get discouraged by others! Listen respectfully, reflect, but know your own strengths and weaknesses: what gives your daily work meaning, what frustrations you can live with, which annoyances you can't. Many, many people will tell you you're too old. If you've shadowed extensively, and, however sappy this may sound, still feel "called", don't let people who took the traditional path deter you about how old you'll be in residency. I had physicians at interview invites ask me what the heck a postbac was. My father (not a physician) told me to freeze my eggs before embarking on this path (I'm a nontrad who just turned 30 but has no children). I've had friends tell me maybe I should go back to my former career because it would be much easier and more financially stable. But, I've also had encouragement from mentors who entered medical school later in life and, in their second careers, have been able to heal others and change the course of people's lives.
2. Medical training, from premed, to the mcat, to residency, to fellowship, thrives on a culture of preparing for the next step. However, don't let that looming next step deter you from living as full a life as you can. There will always be a lot of stress in this field and learning early how to manage studying for the mcat while managing family obligations and personal responsibilities will help you (at least, from my limited experience) continue to grow and live and be there for the ones you love no matter what.

Reactions: 1 users
Nothing except I would have taken more time off to travel and do things that I can no longer afford to do.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Apply on the first day applications are accepted. It does make a difference. Go ahead and apply to all schools- get a loan if you need to.

Draft your deliciously smug response to whatever advisor cautioned you against your dreams :)

Draft your deliciously smug response to whatever advisor cautioned you against your dreams :)

I've been to medical school twice. The first time I had a near fatal injury my first semester that left me in a coma, unable to walk and short term memory loss. I had to withdraw from school and family had to take care of me: bathe me, wash my hair, walk with me (I had to use a cane). It was a long rehab. My neurosurgeon told me "apply for SSI, you'll never work again, forget school".

More than 20 years passed, and I decided to fulfill my dream of earning an MD. During my present medical school stint, M1 year, second semester, I wrote him. His response was honest and penitent: "it's a good thing you did not listen to me! Congratulations"

Reactions: 13 users
Wow, cellsaver... that is truly inspiring. You're a hero.

My perspective is from the research side.

1) Don't blindly get involved in a research project you're not interested in. You need to understand the material and be able to talk about it with interviewers. Your degree of involvement will be very obvious to them, so be sure to get into a lab that is doing work that is interesting to you.

2) Be up front with the research lab director/advisor and let them know that you want to be involved to the degree that you are able to get a presentation or publication. Those two lines on your CV differentiate those who "did research" and those who were involved with research.

3) and last, as others have mentioned, apply early and apply broad.