What would you put in your NEW STUDY DEN? Think motivating and awesome!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just moved and I'm decorating my new home away from the academic arena. I want to make myself want to study as much as possible, and make it as easy to study well as possible. Your suggestions are welcome.

So far I have:

Motivating posters, awards, statues, outlines on the wall to be completed overtime, stuff from and by people who inspire me (stuff from deans, professors, ancient greats to inspire the spirit of knowledge, God and the bible to inspire goodwill, etc.) ... I believe that a positive motivated mindset is a huge asset. Suggestions for specific motivational stuff is welcome. Do you have any specific happy/awesome motivational stuff you like?

Practical stuff like a coffee maker, chairs, folding tables, energy drinks, a nearby weight bench, air conditioner, a fridge and cabinet for complex carbs and leftover BBQ...

I want this to be a place I can sit for days and work on projects.

Members don't see this ad.

Whiteboard. IV drip of coffee. Desk.

you-have-hepatitis-b-why-not-hepatitis-a.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A gigantic whiteboard along the walls equipped with plenty of good markers and erasers (preferably magnetic), a big calendar with all important dates written on it, a good study timer, and a computer with all distracting websites locked off it. Sounds like you've got the snacks covered.

If I ever get into med school, I'll be doing this to my apartment.

Reactions: 1 users
Dual Monitors. One of my friends has a sweet set up. 2 32+ inch flat screens drilled into the walls, one on each wall, with a wacom touch tablet, wireless keyboard, a Mac mini, HMDI to thunderbolt adaptor for his laptop, refrigerator under his desk, and a USB dock. Can't imagine how much he spent on all of this. It's pretty awesome though.

Reactions: 1 user
Dual Monitors. One of my friends has a sweet set up. 2 32+ inch flat screens drilled into the walls, one on each wall, with a wacom touch tablet, wireless keyboard, a Mac mini, HMDI to thunderbolt adaptor for his laptop, refrigerator under his desk, and a USB dock. Can't imagine how much he spent on all of this. It's pretty awesome though.

This. I used dual monitors for the first time overseas a few years ago and there is no going back. You can try it out with a TV and a laptop first.

Buyer beware - attempting to go back to a single monitor will be like trying to go back to a 56k modem.

I use a laptop + monitor setup at home. 10/10 would recommend.

Not sure why you'd need a weight bench where you study.

I'd have a nice desk, I'd also keep the area open to not get distracted by things in the room.

I believe the correct answer here is hookers and blow.

Reactions: 1 users
orange walls and lots of art. white walls creep me out.

Tons of comfortable chairs and a sofa. It should allow for great natural lighting, if you are into that. I usually like studying in picturesque places. I can't stand dungeons.

You should have a LARGE table so you can lay all your materials/books too.

In an ideal world, I would have a beanbag chair surrounded by a half-circle of wide desk-space, with a dual-monitor somewhere. The surface of the desk, much like the surface of the desk I currently own, would be coated in whiteboard (I don't actually have whiteboard now, so I just put white paper and page protectors over it...but you could also just buy a large piece of glass for the same effect.)

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing but a desk and lack of wifi connection

I would like one of the green lamps you sometimes see in libraries. I feel really smart any time I sit near one of these things:

green-bankers-lamp-6967664.jpg