What would you say if you were asked this in an interview?

• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar
May 28, 2011
Status
something along the lines of
Why do you want to be a doctor and not a nurse, who also works with science, helping people, direct patinet contact, etc ??/

TheMightySmiter

7+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2009
Status
Medical Student
something along the lines of
Why do you want to be a doctor and not a nurse, who also works with science, helping people, direct patinet contact, etc ??/
Because I don't just want to be involved in direct patient care, I want to be the one with the ultimate responsibility for the diagnosis and treatment of the patient's condition.

About the Ads

FattySlug

7+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2010
Status
There is no nurse specialty that would earn half a million a year. Next question.

ReptarBar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
you want the opportunity to specialize and to do research

there is no way the interviewer can have a problem with that answer.

About the Ads
May 13, 2010
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
Because I don't really care about their (patients) personal lives. Honestly if someone starts to yap about their wife, husband, dogs, and whatever, I start to space off into the Mars. I don't want to be rude, but I'm just not very social. Well, not sociable enough to be a nurse. My ideal definition of nurse is someone who can relate you into all the medical stuffs, who can explain what's going on, and a doctor tends to speak in a very technical manner.

But of course if I'm put in a spot I'll just say I enjoy the challenge of solving problems, not receiving orders.

I totally respect nurses. They get the whole family through a crisis, but I'm not a nurse material. Sorry.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Because I don't really care about their (patients) personal lives. Honestly if someone starts to yap about their wife, husband, dogs, and whatever, I start to space off into the Mars. I don't want to be rude, but I'm just not very social. Well, not sociable enough to be a nurse. My ideal definition of nurse is someone who can relate you into all the medical stuffs, who can explain what's going on, and a doctor tends to speak in a very technical manner.
You realize that's what a doctor should do too, right? A doctor that speaks in jargon and goes over patients' and families' heads all the time is a poor communicator and not fulfilling the role they hold as leader of the health care team.

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Orange, CA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OP if you can't reasonably answer this yourself you haven't done enough digging into medicine.
Agree completely. A lot of the 'canned' answers people are pulling out in this thread better be backed up by personal experiences/preferences.

eg. if you say research you better be able to support that with research you did in undergrad and research plans for your future.

Even the "I want the top responsibility" better be somewhat supported by leadership roles etc.

When I interviewed years ago I said that I had seriously considered going NP or PA. But the summer that I needed to decide and take my MCAT or GRE I basically looked at my life and figured I had nothing better to do for the next 7 years - so why not become an MD where I could do more good in low income communities.

Worked out for me - I got accepted everywhere I interviewed.

You really need to dig deep and find out why not a nurse, a true personal answer. Thats going to take you the furthest.

medicalmuscle

Removed
Jul 12, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
a true, but "bad" answer trumps a false, but "good" answer...
(there are no good/bad answers, only true/false ones)

adcoms are polygraphs...

Jun 26, 2010
Status

But of course if I'm put in a spot I'll just say I enjoy the challenge of solving problems, not receiving orders.

I totally respect nurses. They get the whole family through a crisis, but I'm not a nurse material. Sorry.
From a patients point of view, neither are you doctor material son.

UnclePhil

7+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2010
Status
Medical Student

The worst part of this is that I think you are actually srs.

Not being completely incompetent in your doctor-patient interactions is a huge part of being a competent doctor.

About the Ads