USMLE What would you tell your MS1 self in terms of Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you, if anything, say to yourself back in MS1 or wish you had known when starting medical school in terms of maximizing your Step 1 score?

What would you have done differently?

Which resources would you have used?

Members don't see this ad.

Would not have done anything differently, i worked hard first two years and it payed off on step 1.

It doesn't matter what resource you use, just learn the material well.

There is no secret to doing well on step 1. If you work hard for two years it'll pay off.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
I second what Iceman says. Put in the work the first two years and it pays off. Focus on understanding the material from class. A lot of friends were too busy chasing after 500 resources and spreading themselves super thin, and then they got to dedicated and were having to learn things for the first time that should have been nailed in class.

My goal from day 1 was to give 100% every day so that I would have no regrets regardless of what my grades were, and having that mentality put me in a very good spot when I started my dedicated study period.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above, there's no replacement for learning everything well in your classes. You will even find yourself knowing the answers to questions based on stuff learned in class that you will not find in Step 1 resources - especially anatomical and surgical stuff. I will say, though, that not all schools teach every subject well. I wish I had realized that a couple of the basic science subjects I was taught in first year were grossly inadequate for boards, because it was a steep incline getting those up to speed within two months.

Reactions: 1 user
I would have started paying attention to first aid earlier.

How early would you say?

I'm starting M2 shortly and am feeling a little guilty I haven't really used FA much at all yet. I did great first year, but I'm worried about my long term retention at this point. Recommend anything starting day 1 of second year?

How early would you say?

I'm starting M2 shortly and am feeling a little guilty I haven't really used FA much at all yet. I did great first year, but I'm worried about my long term retention at this point. Recommend anything starting day 1 of second year?

I don't go to a medical school in the US so I don't know what you do in your second year but you should definitely have done a couple of passes through first aid before dedicated, better yet, get first aid Rx as well.

I would have to used First Aid as guide for what topics to focus on learning the most thoroughly. If you work on learning everything in the basic science section of FA really well during your first year, you'll thank yourself in your second.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, Uworld. Uworld. Uworld. I wish I had done it throughout the year. Period. If you know this resource inside and out and then use FA as a supplement, you are bound to crack a 235-240 and that score with good M3 grades will get you into most specialties

Honestly, Uworld. Uworld. Uworld. I wish I had done it throughout the year. Period. If you know this resource inside and out and then use FA as a supplement, you are bound to crack a 235-240 and that score with good M3 grades will get you into most specialties

Agreed. I got it after my first semester and used it throughout last 3.

So you would have started UWorld in M1?

Also, Go Big Green!

@Foot Fetish
Just get your footing in M1 year. Do questions your M2 year. Not worth it during your 1st year of medical school. Also, enjoy M1 year/summer. Life gets insane after the start of your M2 year.