What would you think of someone who says they can't make themselves study for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seek_advice1

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I have a sister who works full-time as research assistant and she says she can't make herself study and focus for the MCAT. She even says she can't make herself go to the library and instead she tries to study at home where she can't really study and ends up watching tv or going on social networks. She already failed the MCAT once (got a 503) because she never studied seriously. She took a break of about 6 months to recharge and in September she started again to study for it but without much success. Moreover, since two weeks ago she has been dating a new guy and as you can imagine she finds the time to go out with him and sleep at his place. She even traveled during the past weekends. She is the kind of person that says she will do a lot but ends up doing nothing of that. For example, she said for weeks she would go to the gym and follow a program that she bought online but in the end she only went once and then gave up. I feel like she want to go to medical school just for the prestige of it and because our parents have always been pushing her to become a physician.

What do you think about her? Do you think she will manage to pass the MCAT? I think she wants to get a 508 at least. She is a latina URM but I guess that won't improve much her chances to get into med school given her lack of discipline.

For people who got a score higher than 508 how much did you study?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
there is no pass/fail for the MCAT. 490 is not a fail.

is this something your sister actually wants? it's ok if the answer is no. just need to be honest with yourself (i.e. her in this case)............

as an aside (not really related to op's story/question), there are lots of people who are chasing mcat/med school for the wrong reason. i heard a horrible story yesterday about someone who couldn't get into a good med school (maybe any reasonable one) and did something very drastic about it. was becoming a doctor that important? to that person or to their family. surely they could be nurse, pharmacist, get a masters degree, do something else

if she does everything the same as last time, i assume she'll get a similar score.

a little studying in p/s would go a long way....... the other 2 scientific modules not so much. they require alot of study

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.