What would your advice be for somebody who's been on a LOA for 2 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tristy

BairesYarnCreation @ etsy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
and planning to take Step 1 mid to late June? I am finally able to start preparing to take the exam (BTW, the LOA was medical), but it's been so long since I've been in school that I don't know where to start, or what to emphasize in my studies.

I have FA 2010, some Kaplan notes from '08, I will be getting UW, and of course, I have a bunch of review books, but I feel a little lost even though I did pretty well my first 2 years. I am planning to resume school (MS3) in July, but I obviously need to take the beast first before they let me go back.

Any suggestions would be very very much appreciated :) Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I know it's late at night (actually it is tomorrow :sleep:), but I am very serious about Step 1 (well, who isn't right?). I need to do well, or more than just "well" so they (the school's doc) will let me resume back in July (if you want details just PM me). And it's been so long, 2 freaking years!, I feel like a deer in the headlights with respect on how to tackle my preparation. BTW, my LOA was medical.

Do I really need RR Biochem 3rd ed? (I have the previous one). I also have UCV Biochem, and also Path for the Boards and Wards 5th ed, just to mention some of the review books that I have. I did my searches on the site and on the web, but I didn't find anything relevant..

I just don't know where to start or what to emphasize. I did very well in my first 2 years, but that's it. So if any of you have any advice, suggestions, or comments, I will forever be grateful. I am soooo ready to get back to the torture (haha, just j/k), but I need to get this exam over with. Thank you guys,

Tristy

2 years away seems like a long time to me. I know I wouldn't remember much. Maybe start by taking a practice exam and see where you stand.

I think a comprehensive review course may be good for someone in your shoes.

To keep it simple and effective: Kaplan Notes + Kaplan Videos + Qbank that should take a month if you are doing this full time, Then FA + RR + uworld the rest of the way

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you've been out of school so long, go with a review course like Kaplan. This should "re-orient" you to the world of medicine.

To keep it simple and effective: Kaplan Notes + Kaplan Videos + Qbank that should take a month if you are doing this full time, Then FA + RR + uworld the rest of the way

I am with Kryptik on this. You have all the info somewhere in your head, you just need to trigger it or refresh it. Do a full review of Kaplan material and then hit first Aid and Uworld. If you are feeling really ambitious and have enough time you could follow the Taus method, which is very thorough, but time consuming.

Thank you for the input guys. The review course is kindof prohibitive because of the cost, but all the other options sound good to me! Especially the one that mentions following Taus method. I am lucky to have busted my rear during my first 2 years, I started reading FA and things are slowly coming back, which is great!.

I will def take a practice test, I don't know if I would be better off doing an NBME or a UW assesment (I have them purchased, 1 and 2, but never got to use them).

I have all the Kaplan notes from a friend who took the course, but it's a lot of books! :eek:

But we'll see, I really appreciate your advice, it gives me something to kind of start at (I don't know if that even made sense, lol). TY!

PS: Maybe DIT would be the most affordable right now, I have to check it out, otherwise I'm on my own :)

Last edited:
Ok, so I decided to shell out the cash for DIT. I am going to get usmleworld, and I'm not quite sure if getting a 2nd qbank, usmlerx would be a good idea. they also have a review on biostats and epidemiology. Any advice regarding the last 2 resources I'm thinking of? Thanks!

PS: since I've been out of school for so long, would it be advisable to start the course now, or later like everyone else?

Last edited: