What would your first couple sentences be when requesting an LOR after one semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a position where I need to request a letter of recommendation (lor) from a professor after only one semester. I keep trying to write this letter to ask, and just can't seem to come up with the words. How would you begin an email to an instructor asking for this?

Hi Dr. blahblah,

As you know I'm applying to medical school this cycle.

I'm writing to as a favor.. a big big favor...

?????

I've had so many false starts with this letter. It's in need of help.

Members don't see this ad.

"Dr Xxxxxx

As you know, I am applying to medical school this year. Would you be comfortable writing a positive letter on my behalf?

If not, I understand given that I've only taken one course with you, but your letter would greatly help my application.

Thank you for any assistance,

Yyyy"

That said, if it's for this year (applications open now) you'd want to get a move on it since letters can take awhile. I'd also ask in person rather than by email, but either works.

I'm in a position where I need to request a letter of recommendation (lor) from a professor after only one semester. I keep trying to write this letter to ask, and just can't seem to come up with the words. How would you begin an email to an instructor asking for this?

Hi Dr. blahblah,

As you know I'm applying to medical school this cycle.

I'm writing to as a favor.. a big big favor...

?????

I've had so many false starts with this letter. It's in need of help.
All you need is "Dr Jones, do you know me well enough to write me a good LOR for my app to medical school?"