p20s02u

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2004
Status
Hi Everyone-

I am currently a MSIII with 1/4 of my year left and unsure as to what field I will be going into. My question goes out to current MSIVs or anyone else who has some quality input. What do you know now about 4th year electives, residency application/interview, etc. that you wish you would have known last year at this time? If you could start with "the most important stuff" first, that would be outstanding.

Thanks in advance for your help.

avgjoe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
I'll add another related question - someone on another forum said that we should if doing an away rotation not do a real sub-i but another easier elective in the field (less call). does this apply to surgery also?

Soon2BENT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
New York, NY
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
avgjoe said:
I'll add another related question - someone on another forum said that we should if doing an away rotation not do a real sub-i but another easier elective in the field (less call). does this apply to surgery also?
I was told to do an ICU month by an attending at a program I want to go to. I'm not sure if he told me this because an ICU would be a good learning experience or what. I'm thinking I may take his advice.

maverick213

10+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2005
New York
Status
I think that SICU is a very valuable elective. Most (probably all) of the people from my class going into surgery did two or four week rotation. Obviously, every hospital and every team is different, but an opportunity to work with the sickest of the surgical patients is actually very cool. SICU month is not exactly a light elective, but a nice learning experience. If you are seriously considering surgery or a surgical sub-specialty, try to fit it in early and get a letter from your attending.
Also, I think that not doing a sub-I at your own institution is a bit risky. I don’t claim to be an expert, but your away elective may not work out as well as you planned and an extra letter from a surgeon that you actually work with can be of some use. If you’re thinking that this may be too much work for your last year of medical school, I can only say that I found the interview process more draining that SICU and my sub-I combined.

klubguts

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
the big D
Status
I agree with maverick...if you are even considering staying at your home instituition, i would do a surgery subI there. My experience in the SICU was awesome...i learned a ton and got to do numerous procedures (central lines, chest tubes, swans, art lines, etc..). As far as general 4th year stuff, i would suggest you do 2 or 3 electives in your choosen field early in the year (july/aug). The other electives can be in areas of your interest and/or fairly laid back (gives you time to interview w/o taking vacation). I took vacation during the heavy interview months (dec/jan) and padded the surrounding months with easy electives. Cann't comment on away rotations, didn't do any. I wish i would have be know a little more about the whole process and timeline. It is helpful if you get your CV and personal statement done early in 4th year (august at the latest) because many of you LOR writers will want this information before writing your letter. I tried to finish this before I met with them (did that at the end of august). ERAS opens in september. I found it helpful to discuss programs i was considering with my adviser...sometimes they know little pieces of info (ie, PD just left that program) that may influence your desire to apply there. Advisers will often suggest programs that are appropriate for your academic standing and can give you an idea of how many to apply to in order to "ensure a match". Review your program websites on the internet. Try and regionally group your interviews if at all possible and consider taking out a travel loan (it gets very expensive). Residency interviews are generally fun (better than MS in my opinion) but you will probably get burned out and cancel some at the end (scheduled 14, went on 11). My number one piece of advice would be to keep quiet about your intentions (with your ROL) until you are absolutely certain of how you are going to rank places. i had an experience with this and felt like a tool when i changed my mind (over it now, hoping to match). Hope this helps some. Best of luck.

avgjoe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
sorry guys i think i wasn't clear - i wasn't saying that people say to forego the sub-i at the home institution, but was talking about an away rotation in addition to that. there we have a choice of another sub-i or another elective rotation, and i've heard both ways - that we should do the sub-i there also and others say that instead do an elective rotation as that will be easier to shine on..

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
avgjoe said:
sorry guys i think i wasn't clear - i wasn't saying that people say to forego the sub-i at the home institution, but was talking about an away rotation in addition to that. there we have a choice of another sub-i or another elective rotation, and i've heard both ways - that we should do the sub-i there also and others say that instead do an elective rotation as that will be easier to shine on..
the advice given on the other forum (do a consult service instead of a sub-i) generally only pertains to IM aways. there isn't really an equivalent in surgery. furthermore, surgeons are far harder working and thus demonstrating a strong work ethic will be far more effective -- whether you're officially a "sub-i" or doing a SICU month, you'll be working harder than anything in IM anyway.