What

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T2026@55P

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Help me decide what I need to do. I am currently working on my BS in Psychology. I will graduate May 2019.

GPA: 3.5
I am 47 years old.

I want to work with kids with trauma. I know there are therapies that actually help them recover. I would like to run a clinic and supervise other Master students.

After my BS in Psychology I will have 20 months left on my GI Bill.

I plan to use the GI Bill for my Masters. I should have 4 months left after I finish my Masters. I am playing with pursuing my Doctorate.

What is the advantage of having a doctorate over a Masters. I realize it will take an extra 4 years. I think I can make a bigger difference/impact with a doctorate but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Please advise.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

Help me decide what I need to do. I am currently working on my BS in Psychology. I will graduate May 2019.

I am 47 years old.

I want to work with kids with trauma. I know there are therapies that actually help them recover. I would like to run a clinic and supervise other Master students.

I plan to use the GI Bill for my Masters. I should have 4 months left after I finish my Masters. I am playing with pursuing my Doctorate.

What is the advantage of having a doctorate over a Masters. I realize it will take an extra 4 years. I think I can make a bigger difference/impact with a doctorate but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Please advise.

Congrats on working towards your goal! I will be 40 the end of the month, and I just finished my BA. I will be starting an MA this Fall. I applied to some doctorate programs, but had very little research experience. I am going into the MA with the goal to see if I want to then try for a doctorate again. Because of my age I worry about not being fully licensed as a psychologist until I am 50. I am not sure if your age is a concern for you or not, but for me I want to be able to make a decent living sooner rather than later. I was home with my kids, one will be in college this fall, and the other follows in two years. That definitely influences my choices.

With a doctorate, you can teach (MA you can at some community colleges) at universities, be an expert witness, get funding for research and perhaps make more money (depends on your focus). With a master's you can do various things depending on your concentration. You can do an LCPS program and do therapy, or do school counseling. You could also do a research focused master's and work in a lab.
It really depends on your goals. I know many people have to apply up to 4 cycles to be admitted. I decided to limit myself to two cycles, just based on my situation. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you earn your BS in ’19 (age ~48) and earn your MA in 2 years (age ~50), and then enter directly into ~6 years of doctoral training plus 1-2 years of postdoctoral training, you likely won’t be licensed for independent practice until age ~58? Entry into both research-heavy MA and PhD programs can be highly competitive, so it would not be unlikely for you to be forced to apply multiple times to either your MA or PhD program, which would push this timeframe back even further.

If I were in your position, I would look into MSW programs and consider pursuing licensure as an LCSW. The degree is highly portable, respected, and allows for independent practice -- Midlevel providers are generally in high demand and, in clinical practice, earn commensurate salaries with respect to doctoral level psychologists, especially after considering for the opportunity cost of 6+ years of training for PhD vs ~2-3 years of training for MSW. I would not pursue an MA in psychology as this will not prepare you for clinical practice in most states.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi All,

I am 47 years old.

Please advise.

As other's have said, you should go for the Master's instead of the doctorate. By the time you're done with a doctorate, you will be near retirement age and wont have much time to enjoy your new career. I would look into the state that you live in and decide whether a master's in social work (MSW) or a master's in counseling is more beneficial for you. People frequently mention the MSW over the master's in counseling because it has been around longer and is more established. There is licensure in both fields, the LCSW for social workers and LPC for counselors. Master's level students and graduates in these fields can ONLY be supervised by a person with these credentials so once you are licensed, you will absolutely be able to supervise other master's students. All of my supervisors during and post master's were master's level clinicians.

In my region, we have many counseling and social work programs so the need for LPC and LCSW supervision is high. In other regions there might be more demand for LCSW licensed supervisors. Or if LPC licensure is low but the demand is growing, you might be able to get a leg up by getting a master's in counseling instead and becoming one of those in demand supervisors. You need to accrue at least 3000 hours (and in most states much more) of post master's work to get your licensure and many sites don't have licensed supervisors in house so people pay out of pocket for outside supervision. Many master's level clinicians make money this way as well.

I live on the East Coast so I can only speak for my geographic region, but from where I have worked and done training, nearly all of the administrative staff were master's level clinicians with licensure. That means that the people who were managing other clinicians, managing supervision, and running the day to day needs of the clinics I've been in were either LCSW or LPC licensed master's level individuals. You can really do a lot with a master's.

SO TL;DR, go for the master's. Depending on your region, decide if you want to go social work or mental health counseling.

As an aside, one of my supervisors was a teacher for several decades before deciding to go back and become a counselor. She got her LPC and was a wonderful supervisor and clinician so I think it's totally doable and can be very rewarding!

Thank you all so much for your advice.

Based on your advice and that of a few others I've decided to go for the masters instead of the doctorate.

I am getting conflicting advice as to whether I should get the LPC or LCSW. I have another year before I graduate so I have time to figure it out.

It seems like I would have much more flexibility with the LCSW and be able to do the same exact thing. I want to work with trauma kids. I want to do different therapies to help them overcome traumatic backgrounds. This "MA in psychology as this will not prepare you for clinical practice in most states." is important too.

Thank you all so much for your advice.

Based on your advice and that of a few others I've decided to go for the masters instead of the doctorate.

I am getting conflicting advice as to whether I should get the LPC or LCSW. I have another year before I graduate so I have time to figure it out.

It seems like I would have much more flexibility with the LCSW and be able to do the same exact thing. I want to work with trauma kids. I want to do different therapies to help them overcome traumatic backgrounds. This "MA in psychology as this will not prepare you for clinical practice in most states." is important too.

My personal bias is that the social work orientation would be more useful for someone interested in childhood trauma. But the most important thing would be to get a job in an environment where you can continue to learn and develop your clinical skills after obtaining licensure.

What state are you in?

Each state has laws related to who can practice with what level of degree. I think every state has a non-social work degree that leads to licensure. These are usually called Licensed Professional Counselors or Professional Clinical Counselor or something similar depending on the state. To get that licensure, the name of the masters program can vary. These can be in Psychology or some sort of Counseling. If you are wondering whether you should do a social work degree, I would take social work classes. If you like that type of orientation then purse that masters. If you like psychology more, I would look into masters programs in psychology (e.g., clinical or counseling) that provide the classwork and experience necessary for licensure. Similarly, look over Counseling (sometimes call mental health counseling).

For masters level, you will want to get the best program that meet your needs for licensure and costs you least. Don't worry about the name of the degree.

Last edited:

Because social work is explicitly concerned with social conditions that are risk factors for childhood trauma, and I would expect social workers to be more familiar than counselors (on average) with resources and services that may be useful additions to psychotherapy.

I started grad school at 43. I'm heading off to internship at 48. I am tired. Doctoral programs are a level of hell you cannot possibly imagine. I also suggest the LCSW degree.

Reactions: 4 users

Nationally, I see the LCSW as the most portable and most recognizable of the MA level licenses. IMO, social work as a profession has done a much better job of advocating for themselves (in a totally appropriate way) than counseling or marriage & family therapy. Generally, I think social workers have leveraged their understanding of systems to lobby and advance their profession as a whole, while psychology/counseling's focus on individuals has limited their professional advocacy.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Because social work is explicitly concerned with social conditions that are risk factors for childhood trauma,
I don't believe that is accurate. I don't see anything concretely related to risk factors for childhood trauma
Social work - Wikipedia

and I would expect social workers to be more familiar than counselors (on average) with resources and services that may be useful additions to psychotherapy.
From my anecdotal experience, I have found that masters-level practitioners are relatively similar in their training and abilities.

I don't have a horse in this race, just surprised b/c I have found social worker to be lacking in evidence-based practice and not very differentiated from other masters-level practice degrees. But again, just my anecdotal experience.

Nationally, I see the LCSW as the most portable and most recognizable of the MA level licenses. IMO, social work as a profession has done a much better job of advocating for themselves (in a totally appropriate way) than counseling or marriage & family therapy. Generally, I think social workers have leveraged their understanding of systems to lobby and advance their profession as a whole, while psychology/counseling's focus on individuals has limited their professional advocacy.
I don't believe it is any more or less portable but definitely best recognized and best lobbied of the degrees. I think that is partially due to being an older profession than counseling or MFT. Additionally, SW is a larger field that encompasses more than providing psychotherapy.

To combine with my thoughts from @MamaPhD, I would highly recommend students find a program that is least costly and provides evidence-based training that leads to licensure. The name of the degree or license is least important. Or, I haven't seen any evidence that one degree leads to higher pay or better training than another.

I don't believe that is accurate. I don't see anything concretely related to risk factors for childhood trauma

The focus is not exclusive to childhood trauma and if that was somehow implied by my comment, that wasn't my intent. But poverty, structural inequalities, and other adverse social conditions are most certainly risk factors for childhood trauma exposure. Social work has a rich professional history in child and social welfare advocacy that the counseling profession doesn't share. After all, social workers have historically been on the front lines in child welfare programs and services. So, in broad strokes, on average I would expect a social worker to be more familiar with the social context of those at especially high risk of childhood trauma, and with how to engage people in systems or services that could be protective against future trauma exposures. And again, broadly speaking, I think the same holds true for working with other socially vulnerable populations (eg, older adults).

My perspective is based on collaborating with social workers in both clinical and academic settings. But of course I understand that, as individuals, social workers and counselors alike have the potential to specialize in trauma and equal potential to learn and practice evidence-based treatments for PTSD.

The focus is not exclusive to childhood trauma and if that was somehow implied by my comment, that wasn't my intent. But poverty, structural inequalities, and other adverse social conditions are most certainly risk factors for childhood trauma exposure. Social work has a rich professional history in child and social welfare advocacy that the counseling profession doesn't share. After all, social workers have historically been on the front lines in child welfare programs and services. So, in broad strokes, on average I would expect a social worker to be more familiar with the social context of those at especially high risk of childhood trauma, and with how to engage people in systems or services that could be protective against future trauma exposures. And again, broadly speaking, I think the same holds true for working with other socially vulnerable populations (eg, older adults).

My perspective is based on collaborating with social workers in both clinical and academic settings. But of course I understand that, as individuals, social workers and counselors alike have the potential to specialize in trauma and equal potential to learn and practice evidence-based treatments for PTSD.

While I am a N of 1, I have an interesting perspective to offer as I began my graduate training in a MSW program and then completing my graduate degree through a masters in counseling. I would have to agree with MamaPhd’s assessment. Social Work started with a focus on social welfare and advocacy initially with impoverished and medically compromised women and children, and has expanded to the systems approaches used today for the masses. However, that history is still very much a part of the generalist training. Once you are in the focus area, the training is very similar. I have only attended one counseling program so I can’t speak for all programs, however the history of the counseling profession is much different than the history of social work. There is definitely overlap and the treatment for and the effects of childhood trauma were covered in both programs. Further training and specialization is offered to either license holder so either has the ability to be a great trauma therapist.

Regarding portability, I respectfully disagree with Dynamic and would have to say that the LCSW license still has a leg up on the LPC .
While both are recognized in every state, the MSW is often preferred in certain settings due to Medicare reimbursement. (I am not sure if that is true in every state)As far as portability I would say the biggest reason is that the accrediting body for social work is a much better gate keeper for entrance into the field. Their standards for education are more uniform across the board which makes applying across state lines less of a hassle as licensing boards know what they are going to get. With the variability in counseling programs, it can create a huge headache,especially if your program is not CACREP accredited. Also, there are many different ways to obtain the LPC, such as through a counseling psychology masters, community counseling and mental health counseling programs. Even certain Voc Rehab Counseling degrees will make you eligible depending on focus, which would then be CORE accredited. Each program may confer a different degree as well such as an MA, MS, or M.Ed further confusing what each degree entails. It would be nice to have more uniformity in our field.

You all are so helpful.

I have been looking at the difference between the LCSW and LPC (MCMH at another university) and taken with what you all are saying I'm definitely torn.

The LPC is more in line with my interest but the LCSW will allow me more freedom in doing what I'm interested in. I'm not interested in things on a "social" level. I'm interested in helping the individual. Just looking at the names of the classes you can tell the mental health classes are more in line with counseling skills and understanding development and the brain where LCSW is mostly about social issues, which I really don't care about. I do care a little but not enough to take several years in learning about social environment or social work.

I find it so odd that in the end the LCSW and LPC do basically the same thing with the LPC being so limited as compared to the LCSW but the LPC actually studies the brain and behavior so much more. Just for general information I listed required classes for the two different degrees in case anyone is interested.

The LCSW has these classes at one school. I am looking at others too.
MSW Foundation – Year 1 Fall
Professional Foundation 3 hrs
Research Methods in Social Work 1 3 hrs
Human Behavior and the Social Environment 1 3 hrs
Micro Practice 3 hrs
Field Education 1 3 hrs

Spring
Diversity and Social Justice 3 hrs
Macro Practice 3 hrs
Human Behavior and the Social Environment 2 3 hrs
Social Welfare Policies and Services 3 hrs
Field Education 2 3 hrs

MSW Concentration – Year 2 Fall
SOWO Elective 3 hrs
Research Methods in Social Work 2 3 hrs
Perspectives of Mental Health Practice 3 hrs
Advanced Practice 3 hrs
Field Education 3 3 hrs

Spring
SOWO Elective 3 hrs
SOWO Elective 3 hrs
Administration and Management 3 hrs
Applied Evaluation Research 3 hrs
Field Education 4 3 hrs

Verses Masters in Clinical Mental Health (at another university):
PSY500 Infant & Toddler Development 3
PSY515 Childhood & Adolescent Development 3
PSY530 Adult Development & Aging 3
PSY535 Ethics & Professional Conduct in Psychology 3
PSY540 Individual and Family Treatment of Substance Abuse Disorders 3
PSY550 Family Systems 3
PSY552 Bullying & Coercive Behavior 3
PSY620 Psychopathology 3
PSY625 Applied Research Methods in Developmental Psychology 3
PSY654 Drugs, Medication & Society 3
PSY657 Counseling & Co-Occurring Disorders 3
PSY658 Psychological Assessment in Counseling 3
PSY660 Social & Cultural Foundations 3
PSY662 Counseling Theories & Practice 3
PSY663 Career Development: Theory and Practice 3
PSY664 Counseling Skills & Techniques 3
PSY665 Group Dynamics & Mental Health Counseling 3
PSY680 Counseling Practicum & Seminar 3
PSY696 Counseling Internship & Seminar I 3
PSY697 Counseling Internship & Seminar II 3
PSY698 Counseling Internship & Seminar III 3

I am not sure if LPC is limited in your area. Look at jobs similar to what you want and see if they distinguish between LPC and LCSW.

You all are so helpful.

I have been looking at the difference between the LCSW and LPC (MCMH at another university) and taken with what you all are saying I'm definitely torn.

The LPC is more in line with my interest but the LCSW will allow me more freedom in doing what I'm interested in. I'm not interested in things on a "social" level. I'm interested in helping the individual. Just looking at the names of the classes you can tell the mental health classes are more in line with counseling skills and understanding development and the brain where LCSW is mostly about social issues, which I really don't care about. I do care a little but not enough to take several years in learning about social environment or social work.

I find it so odd that in the end the LCSW and LPC do basically the same thing with the LPC being so limited as compared to the LCSW but the LPC actually studies the brain and behavior so much more. Just for general information I listed required classes for the two different degrees in case anyone is interested.

The LCSW has these classes at one school. I am looking at others too.
MSW Foundation – Year 1 Fall
Professional Foundation 3 hrs
Research Methods in Social Work 1 3 hrs
Human Behavior and the Social Environment 1 3 hrs
Micro Practice 3 hrs
Field Education 1 3 hrs

Spring
Diversity and Social Justice 3 hrs
Macro Practice 3 hrs
Human Behavior and the Social Environment 2 3 hrs
Social Welfare Policies and Services 3 hrs
Field Education 2 3 hrs

MSW Concentration – Year 2 Fall
SOWO Elective 3 hrs
Research Methods in Social Work 2 3 hrs
Perspectives of Mental Health Practice 3 hrs
Advanced Practice 3 hrs
Field Education 3 3 hrs

Spring
SOWO Elective 3 hrs
SOWO Elective 3 hrs
Administration and Management 3 hrs
Applied Evaluation Research 3 hrs
Field Education 4 3 hrs

Verses Masters in Clinical Mental Health (at another university):
PSY500 Infant & Toddler Development 3
PSY515 Childhood & Adolescent Development 3
PSY530 Adult Development & Aging 3
PSY535 Ethics & Professional Conduct in Psychology 3
PSY540 Individual and Family Treatment of Substance Abuse Disorders 3
PSY550 Family Systems 3
PSY552 Bullying & Coercive Behavior 3
PSY620 Psychopathology 3
PSY625 Applied Research Methods in Developmental Psychology 3
PSY654 Drugs, Medication & Society 3
PSY657 Counseling & Co-Occurring Disorders 3
PSY658 Psychological Assessment in Counseling 3
PSY660 Social & Cultural Foundations 3
PSY662 Counseling Theories & Practice 3
PSY663 Career Development: Theory and Practice 3
PSY664 Counseling Skills & Techniques 3
PSY665 Group Dynamics & Mental Health Counseling 3
PSY680 Counseling Practicum & Seminar 3
PSY696 Counseling Internship & Seminar I 3
PSY697 Counseling Internship & Seminar II 3
PSY698 Counseling Internship & Seminar III 3

I'm with you in the confusion. Master's in counseling/mft programs usually offer more breadth/depth of counseling theory/practice classes vs. the more macro/community practice view of SW, yet SW is more respected in some circles and more respected by managed care companies. Why? Probably what @calimich was saying....more established and more successful at advocating for their field.
I have a master's in counseling, but was discouraged from getting it and warned that it wouldn't transfer across states. I was stubborn, and knew I'd get a doctorate anyway, so I didn't heed the warning. But for folks who plan to stop at the master's level, the reality is that the MSW is more marketable, even if seems unfair (in my opinion, it is).

I really don't like the fact that most SW programs don't get the background in counseling theories/practice. I wish they'd include more of it since you are likely going to be a therapist, yet without some of the important foundational coursework (i.e. group therapy, ethics, child psychopathology, etc). If they'd just add more of those courses in, I'd feel more comfortable telling folks to get the MSW for therapy practice. To be fair, this does vary slightly by program.

I'm with you in the confusion. Master's in counseling/mft programs usually offer more breadth/depth of counseling theory/practice classes vs. the more macro/community practice view of SW, yet SW is more respected in some circles and more respected by managed care companies. Why? Probably what @calimich was saying....more established and more successful at advocating for their field.
I have a master's in counseling, but was discouraged from getting it and warned that it wouldn't transfer across states. I was stubborn, and knew I'd get a doctorate anyway, so I didn't heed the warning. But for folks who plan to stop at the master's level, the reality is that the MSW is more marketable, even if seems unfair (in my opinion, it is).

I really don't like the fact that most SW programs don't get the background in counseling theories/practice. I wish they'd include more of it since you are likely going to be a therapist, yet without some of the important foundational coursework (i.e. group therapy, ethics, child psychopathology, etc). If they'd just add more of those courses in, I'd feel more comfortable telling folks to get the MSW for therapy practice. To be fair, this does vary slightly by program.

I would say these attitudes also vary highly by state. Around where I've practiced and gone to school (northeast), the established part is definitely true but less the respectability part. Everywhere I've been it's been a pretty even smattering of LPC and LCSW clinicians, supervisors, and clinical directors. In addition, all of the job postings I looked at pretty much listed requirements as LPC or LCSW licensed or license eligible. So it seems employers overall treat them pretty equally so long as the individual has the skills they need.

I would say, for anyone running across this thread, that one of the easiest ways to see what attitudes and prospects are for either degree are to check out job listings in your area. Do they most frequently list qualifications as LPC or LCSW only? Or do they more frequently list them both together? While you're at it, what are they offering by way of salary for entry level vs. established? Are they primarily fee-for-service or do you see a lot of full time jobs?

Last edited:
I would say these attitudes also vary highly by state. Around where I've practiced and gone to school (northeast), the established part is definitely true but less the respectability part. Everywhere I've been it's been a pretty even smattering of LPC and LCSW clinicians, supervisors, and clinical directors. In addition, all of the job postings I looked at pretty much listed requirements as LPC or LCSW licensed or license eligible. So it seems employers overall treat them pretty equally so long as the individual has the skills they need.

I would say, for anyone running across this thread, that one of the easiest ways to see what attitudes and prospects are for either degree are to check out job listings in your area. Do they most frequently list qualifications as LPC or LCSW only? Or do they more frequently list them both together? While your at it, what are they offering by way of salary for entry level vs. established? Are they primarily fee-for-service or do you see a lot of full time jobs?

Good point; I should say it varies by region, and I agree that job postings will provide some indication of respectability in each/both fields.

Good point. I didn't think about doing a search. So I went and did a search. A lot of sites list both LPC and LCSW on the same job listing. There were a few that listed only the LPC and even more that list LCSW. So it looks like I'd have a lot of job prospects. Ultimately I intend to have my own practice. As long as I can get hired for my internship and 2-3 years of supervision I'm fine.

I also will no longer be tied to the area I live. My son will be graduating and I want to go somewhere warmer anyway. I haven't figured out yet where that would be.

Good point. I didn't think about doing a search. So I went and did a search. A lot of sites list both LPC and LCSW on the same job listing. There were a few that listed only the LPC and even more that list LCSW. So it looks like I'd have a lot of job prospects. Ultimately I intend to have my own practice. As long as I can get hired for my internship and 2-3 years of supervision I'm fine.

I also will no longer be tied to the area I live. My son will be graduating and I want to go somewhere warmer anyway. I haven't figured out yet where that would be.

If you're thinking of heading south, that may actually be better for counseling and make it more equal to the MSW. When I was looking at counseling psych programs for my PhD, I noticed they had a much stronger contingency down south. The same was true for Counselor Ed PhDs.

I did my postdoc at University of Washington and I know the social work program there seemed to be allergic to EBP. Again, anecdotal experience and not representative of all programs. Similarly, I overhear some undergrad social work courses taught near my office and notice that they are very theory driven with little supporting quantitative empirical evidence.

warned that it wouldn't transfer across states
Again, I am curious if your state was perhaps atypical. I know all the states near where I live have very similar requirements. I ask purely from an informational point of view. I think it would be important to standardize requirements across states but wonder if they are actually that different at the moment. When I browse this report
https://www.counseling.org/docs/licensure/72903_excerpt_for_web.pdf

While there are some differences they mostly display similar requirements. The biggest difference is some states require 48 credits while others require 60. My state is 60, so they would likely meet criteria in more states than the programs in 48-credit states.

I did my postdoc at University of Washington and I know the social work program there seemed to be allergic to EBP. Again, anecdotal experience and not representative of all programs. Similarly, I overhear some undergrad social work courses taught near my office and notice that they are very theory driven with little supporting quantitative empirical evidence.

Again, I am curious if your state was perhaps atypical. I know all the states near where I live have very similar requirements. I ask purely from an informational point of view. I think it would be important to standardize requirements across states but wonder if they are actually that different at the moment. When I browse this report
https://www.counseling.org/docs/licensure/72903_excerpt_for_web.pdf

While there are some differences they mostly display similar requirements. The biggest difference is some states require 48 credits while others require 60. My state is 60, so they would likely meet criteria in more states than the programs in 48-credit states.

My midwestern state required 60 credit hours for licensure and a certain number of supervised hours (and the NCE, of course). I'd looked into moving to CA after getting my degree and becoming licensed there. I would have had to find somewhere to do an internship for a year+ to get licensure hours, plus take several additional courses that my own state's program didn't require to get licensed as an MFT (I don't recall if CA had an LPC license pathway back then, so I was looking into the MFT license path with my master's in counseling). To me, that sounded daunting at the time, although we don't have standard licensure equivalence at the doctoral level state-by-state, either.