Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What're my chances.. somebody please help

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by mmp, May 6, 2002.

1. mmp

mmp Junior Member

Hi yall,

I'm a newbie in here. Here's "me". Im a senior graduating dis may with a BS, bio major and chem minor. Im having a 2.68 GPA (I know I know.. dont scream at me =). I havent taken the OAT yet. I was just wondering if anyone think i would have a shot at getting in an optometry school. Im so frustrated. Im planning to apply dis summer for fall 2003 and take the OAT in oct. I dont have any experience with optometry yet but im planning to do dat dis summer (I was on a premed track and changed it to pharmacy on my third year.. but now I finally know I wanna become an optometrist).

I also thought of trying to get in a master prog and apply for opt after dat but I dont know if that's neccessary. Sorrie for a long post.. but what you guys think I should do or just give up completely.

mmp

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. christie

christie Senior Member

Hi mmp,

I don't think you should give up your goal in becoming an Optometrist. You can still make it. Just study hard for the OAT, and try to do well on it. If there are any prerequisites that you didn't do well in, then think about retaking it over the summer. Shadow an OD in your area over the summer too.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Good Luck!

4. Ballew21

Ballew21 Junior Member

I'm probably not the most qualified person to answer this question, but here are my thoughts on your situation.

If I were in your shoes, I would try to put off graduation, if at all possible. Once you finish your undergrad studies, you'll have to pay for any extra undergraduate classes out of pocket.

As for your GPA, you should either #1-Retake any classes where you have a C or lower or #2-Take upperlevel science courses (Embryology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry etc.) to prove that you can handle the coursework. Yes, you would have to pay for these classes out of pocket, but I think that most Optometry schools require a minimum 2.75 GPA to apply. (I think some, UCB, require a minimum 3.0 GPA.)

I can't remember what's covered on the OAT, but if you aren't comfortable with Chemistry, Biology or Physics ... I would wait to take the OAT.

As for experience, it's not very hard to find an Optometrist to shadow, although I had a surprisingly difficult time in doing so. Those darned DONL's. Some say that shadowing a private OD is better than a commerical OD, but ... having said that, you should make sure that you want to be an optometrist before you go through the process. Schools may look at your changing of programs (pre-med to pharmacy to optometry) and wonder if you're serious about the field. Some people look at optometry as a potential back-up to medical school (this is a true story for one of the doctors that I worked with), which, if it is the case, you'll be very disappointed. Optometry is a great profession, but you are somewhat limited in your scope of practice. Just my personal pro-optometry opinion.

Anways, this post has gotten long-winded so I'll cut this short. Good luck with everything, and hopefully things will work themselves out.

Nick

5. mmp

mmp Junior Member

Thanks a lot guys.. those really helps. I did have some upper level classes such as Immunology, Bacteriology, Biochem, Quanlitative Analysis..I probably take some more in the fall. But I have a question, what you guys think of the master program cuz I know as for med school, if you have a master.. it would greatly help ur chances. However, it's a whole 2 years, is it something dat worth goin through? Or if there's anything dat would definitely make the application appealing for the admission committe.

Mike

6. christie

christie Senior Member

Hi mmp,

I'm currently finishing my master's(bio), however I don't think it increased my chances for acceptance, it made me stand out from the other candidates.

Doing a master's is hard work, esp. if you work as well. You could finish your master's in a year and a half(if you are full-time).

I would recommend focusing on the OAT that is coming up in Oct, and doing well on it. Get great recommendations, and retake courses you didn't do as well in.

Hope this helps :)