Quantcast

What're my odds, what do I do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NickMS

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Short version: 3.52, sGPA of 3.56-3.6, projected MCAT of 30-32 (just took it two days ago), 100 hours of volunteer work in a hospital, 4 months working in a research lab with a guarenteed year left to go working with him. What're my chances of getting into an MD program anywhere? At this point I just want to get into medical school. (Undergrad primarily at University of Nevada, Reno)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I guess I'll just get right into it: here's my story as best as I can tell. (Short version at the bottom.)

Undergrad: I started at University of Nevada, Reno for one semester. During that time my parents started to have some serious trouble with each other and my family was pretty important to me, so I decided to go home for that spring semester where I attended the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. This year (junior year) I returned to UNR so I've done 3 semesters at UNLV and 3 at UNR. My major during both times was Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.

GPA: I'll be sitting at a 3.52 in a week and a half. Its not great but almost all of my Bs were during my time at UNLV and mostly reflect the trouble I had at home. My family situation got better for awhile but rapidly deteriorated and starting the end of my Sophmore year (2008) my parents began the divorice process which has been messy and still isn't over yet. I stayed with my father mostly and he become a pretty heavy alcoholic during this time and it was tough to be in the middle of my parents divorice, but it was unavoidable. I'm including it because from what I've been told you should try to justify any problems your GPA may have had, and that was mine. I missed a few assignments in almost every class that I had a B in and it was directly related to this. Also during my last semester at UNLV I took a bunch of hard elective science classes that I knew wouldn't transfer to UNR just because I wanted the challenge and was interested. It was fun, but it was a much tougher schedule and net me a B in a couple of the classes.

Anyway, my GPA was a 3.4ish before returning to UNR, and I got a smattering of A-'s last semester and almost all As this semester. My science GPA is higher, close to 3.6 or 3.55 at the lowest.

I just took the MCAT yesterday (ugh), so I won't know that number for 29 more days. But I've taken enough pretests and based on how I felt on yesterdays test I can pretty reliably say my score will be between 30-33. Maybe slightly higher than 33, but if so, not much.

I've been working as an undergrad researcher with one of the faculty here for a semester, and will continue working with him for another full year.

My volunteer/clinical experience are one and the same: about seven months (100 hours) at a hospital, with about a fifth of that being done shadowing in the lab and in the ER. This summer I think I'm going to volunteer at a Hospice for awhile, and I'm pretty positive I can get at least one really solid job shadow with a surgeon (surgery is my ultimate goal).

Extracurricular activities are unfortunately almost nonexistant. I had a nearly full time job all through my time at UNLV because of financial strains with my parents first separating and then divorcing which only got worse at UNR, where I've also had a part time job to struggle through the bills. Would have been full time but I took the Kaplan class and had a very hard academic year in my major. (Biochem, p. chem, molecular bio, etc.)

I think that about sums it up. Right now I have no idea where to apply aside from my in-state school (UNSOM), so if there are any recommendations to that I'll gladly hear them.

And if there's any advice on what I can do in my last stretch of time to improve my chances, by all means. Share. =)

GPA - 3.52, SGPA - 3.55-3.6, MCAT 30-33

EDIT: As for where to apply, I just found the sticky at the top of this page. I'm applying to every school on there that says hopeful and above and takes OOS students. =\ I guess I'm really just looking for some good news, or at least truthful news in this thread. Can/will I get in *somewhere*?

Last edited:

witness23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think you have a shot at your state schools and other Private Schools out of state. I'm sure someone will come in and help you out with the list of schools to look at w/ your projected stats.

Continue your research and hospital volunteering and do a bit of shadowing. I think you will get in somewhere.

I have a question though... is UNLV located in or really close to Vegas? Do you get to go out a lot? I always kinda wanted to apply to their grad school just for fun to get a free trip out to vegas.

NickMS

Reaction score
UNLV is about a minute drive from the heart of Las Vegas, or a ten minute walk.

NickMS

Reaction score
Added a super short version at the top, was just hoping for a few more responses.