Whats a better gig and what should pay more? m-f 8-5 hospitalist or 7 on 7 off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spiffycats

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, for the hospitalists out there, do you think a monday -friday 8-5 with one weekend a month schedule is better than the 7 on 7 off traditional schedule? Which is easier on the body? Which should pay more? The m-f is rounding on your patient and leaving whenever you are done but the 7on/7 off you have to stay in house? If salary was the same, which would you pick?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, for the hospitalists out there, do you think a monday -friday 8-5 with one weekend a month schedule is better than the 7 on 7 off traditional schedule? Which is easier on the body? Which should pay more? The m-f is rounding on your patient and leaving whenever you are done but the 7on/7 off you have to stay in house? If salary was the same, which would you pick?

Not a hospitalist but I personally think the 8-5 with weekends off and work one weekend a month is better if you have a family and children, especially as you basically lose out on a lot of weekends otherwise. There are 7/7 gigs where you round and go as well as 8-5 round and go. I think if you’re young and unmarried without a family then the 7/7 schedule can be amazing for travel, socializing etc but with the caveat that you are basically unavailable every other weekend (which gets real old). I think the 8-5 is probably easier to get rest with as well

This assumes you want to be a hospitalist long term and forever - if you’re using it as a stopgap before fellowship then that’s a different discussion

7-7 no questions. You work 183d/Yr and can moonlight or travel more easily. Only way I'd do m-f would be if I worked equivalent days per month, which would mean I'd work m-f for 3 weeks and then get a 15 day stretch off. That doesn't sound too bad, but I haven't heard of such a schedule. Plus, missing weekends isn't bad. I personally live near most of my friends and my family, and working weekends is cake if you can round and go.

Members don't see this ad :)
7 on/7 off = 182-183 days worked/year

Mon-fri & 1 weekend/month = 284 days worked/year

It’s not even close

I see the logic of how imbalanced the working day number is, but yes with kids, spouse, etc. having that regularity to schedule might be worth the premium. Then again, in that scenario having the ability to be completely involved with family responsibilities during the off time might more than make up for that. So in essence this is a pointless addition to the discussion.

to clarify, the 7on 7 off u have to be in house the whole time, but for the 8-5 you leave whenever you're done

The fact that you can leave whenever you are done in the M-F gig is a huge plus in my mind.
Yes you work more days but each day is easier than a day in the 7-7 model.

I do inpt hospitalist where we can pretty much ask for a schedule and also leave as soon as we are done so I get the best of both worlds.
I get in by 7, home by 2, nap and be there to take kid to park, swimming etc once I’m up.

Reactions: 1 user
How common is round and go and how does one go about finding out if a job offers this?