What's a decent first semester freshman GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHoosier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I calculated my GPA for the first time of my college career to see how I'm doing, and I have around a 3.5 so far. Is this close to what most of you had your first semester? I realize its only halfway over and that I have time to get it even higher, but I just wanted to gauge how well I'm doing so far.

Members don't see this ad.

3.5 is plenty high for a first semester. Had a freaking 2.85 -_-

3.5 is good for your first semester.

however, you want to be in 3.7 range come application season, I'd say. So just raise it a little over the next couple semesters and you should be alright.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you know your first semester GPA if the semester is only halfway in? Unless you're going by your current grade in each class.

If that is the case, I have a 4.0

I have an A in all my classes right now (Gen Chem, Latin, Two Gen Ed Classes, and a Freshman Colloquia). Pretty simple classes though.

Are you taking any premed pre-reqs like general chemistry? 3.5 is fine, although I agree with the poster who said you'll want to raise it to about a 3.7 or better to boost your odds. But the reason I ask is because the better question is how you're doing in those classes. If you have a 3.5, but laboring through gen chem, it could spell trouble down the road while you're taking organic. If that's one of your easiest classes, then I'd feel even more comfortable with a 3.5.

I'm not taking gen chem but I am taking an honors bio class for L-112 and I'm doing really well in that, calculus and spanish are giving me a hard time right now but after this semester I'll be done with both of those for good so I think I'll be fine. And yeah that's what I said before, I don't have actual grades yet, I'm just going off of what I have right now.

I think at a 3.5, you're doing really well for your 1st semester. I got something like a 3.3. Personally, it was a big transition, I was just learning how to study properly, manage my time, stay organized, etc. It was definitely my rockiest 4 months of college, and I think you made the right choice waiting to start your non-bio pre-reqs. I started my pre-reqs later, with physics, and really doubt I would've done nearly as well had I started it my 1st semester in school.

I had a 3.53 first semester. But you have to realize that classes are only going to get harder so that effort that got you that 3.53 will have to be increased. Hopefully you have a feel for college classes by now and you know what college professors expect of you so that you know what you need to accomplish in the rest of your classes. A 3.5 is below average for medical school applicants (that get accepted), but if you start to realize that you do need to raise it and you put the work that goes into raising your gpa then you should be fine. Remember, you only have a few credit hours now so any change in your gpa will be huge. Once you get 50-60 credit hours your classes will effect your gpa less and less because their weight will be smaller. Get that GPA up while you can. You'll regret it later when you are applying thinking man I could've done better in those classes and put myself in a better position.

You WANT a 4.0

If you still have time to get it up, and really want this, STRIVE for a 4.0. It's one thing to get less, it's another to accept it half way through.

I had a 2.9 my first semester. 3.73 Cumulative after 3 years. You'll be perfectly fine if you get a 3.5.

But again, Don't decide that you've got it made already and sit on it. Work to get it as high as possible.

Just try your best and you'll do fine. You always want to aim for above the average for when you apply, so as long as you end up somewhere around there you'll be in good shape. :)

3.5 is fine. You want as high as possible. Keep in mind that classes will get harder as you progress and it may be more difficult to maintain a high GPA and/or make up for a lower one later on. I would consider a 3.6+ to be a strong freshmen GPA. 3.3-3.5 is acceptable. Anything below a 3.3 is starting off on the wrong foot if you want to get into medical school. People fall all across the spectrum on 1st semester freshmen GPAs. Some end up starting off poorly and quickly recover (but some may never fully recover), while others of us starting out w/ 3.9+ GPAs freshmen year. It really varies across the spectrum.