What's a good book to read and finish during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ara96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After another terrible PRITE, I am certain that as a PGY2 resident, I am doing something wrong. My husband who is an IM Doc told me that he read Harrison's during residency that covered everything. However, I am honestly looking for a good book to cover everything for psych and I don't have one.

I think Kaplan and Saddocks is a piece of garbage. I seriously hate it and fall asleep reading it.

Members don't see this ad.

After another terrible PRITE, I am certain that as a PGY2 resident, I am doing something wrong. My husband who is an IM Doc told me that he read Harrison's during residency that covered everything. However, I am honestly looking for a good book to cover everything for psych and I don't have one.

I think Kaplan and Saddocks is a piece of garbage. I seriously hate it and fall asleep reading it.

Did you read spliks papers?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
what's wrong with K&S - that is where they get most of the questions from. the synopsis is pretty reasonable to get through, im not sure the full text (which there isnt a current version of) is that useful however. the standard alternative, which is the APA book is even worse and to be avoided at all costs. another alternative is the new oxford textbook of psychiatry though it is more international in its outlook (which is a plus and a minus) and more intellectual. maybe you are not a book learner? I cant recommend any particular podcasts etc but maybe there are recorded lectures etc you could listen to if you aren't a book learner?

How do you know that you did poorly on the PRITE? Scores don't come out till around January.

This year's exam included way more basic science, genetics, and neuroscience than in years past with FAR fewer [worthless] questions about crap like "according to S Freud" and "Winnicott" "Erickson's" etc etc. Since you have had the more scientifically oriented material presented to you in undergrad and med school, you can make better educated guesses rather than just winging archaic nonsense that no one uses in practical psychiatry anymore.

I agree, the K&S synopsis is garbage and contains way too many errors to make it readable.

If you try to read a book straight through (as primary learning), how much are you really going to retain? I (and most residents I know) don't have that kind of attention span. I like reviewing topics related to patients I am seeing, looking for reviews from big name people and high impact journals.

That said, I think of all of the textbooks, Stahl's is by far the most readable (which is why it's so popular). Some of his claims are specious but I think most people can get over that. Fish's psychopathology and Sims' symptoms in the mind are really good psychopathology books- they will likely not be of much use on the PRITE, but they are great for honing your clinical skills (and writing epic notes)

Reactions: 1 users
I like K&S. Not sure what the big deal about it is. It is easy to read and covers all of the basics on all of the topics. Stahl is also a great book for beginners like us. I think these two cover the basic ground knowledge one needs as a psychiatrist.

From what I heard from my residents, they're reading the Maudsley Prescription Guidelines for psychopharmacology and the APA textbook of psychiatry for psychopathology. Is the DSM really that unpopular that psychiatry residesnts don't want to read it? I've read many chapters from start to end as a medical student and I think it's fantastic.

I'm trying to read at least a few books from here:
http://psychiatryonline.org/books

I like the BeattheBoards courses in general and believe in starting them early, not just as a last minute crash course. Do the videos and then pick a real textbook, not a crappy synopsis, and read that too.
Stahl's psychopharm is also very good.

From what I heard from my residents, they're reading the Maudsley Prescription Guidelines for psychopharmacology and the APA textbook of psychiatry for psychopathology.
the APA textbook doesnt even have anything on psychopathology which is why its so useless. many of the key features of various psychoses are not discussed at all.

I like the BeattheBoards courses in general and believe in starting them early, not just as a last minute crash course. Do the videos and then pick a real textbook, not a crappy synopsis, and read that too.
Stahl's psychopharm is also very good.

Is it time dependent? Can I buy it as a PGy2 and use it later?

Members don't see this ad :)
Fish was my go-to phenomenology text, and Carlat's Psychiatric Interview was also another popular choice for trainees. Would definitely recommend Stahl, although I find I'm using it even more as a consultant.

For treatment and management, I would use a range of resource from various national treatment guidelines, Maudsley and a few classic papers.

My first supervisor lent me a copy of Malan for dynamic psychotherapies - fascinating, and very useful for my therapy cases but digestible only in bite size chunks. Had the full text K&S as a reference only, but always found it a bit too longwinded for my liking.

For written exam preparation, I found it more efficient to just making and doing heaps of questions especially in conjunction with spaced repetition software.

When I was a medical student I preferred Andreason's Introduction to Psychiatry - again, felt this was more easily accessible than the K&S Synopsis which was the other recommendation.

Is it time dependent? Can I buy it as a PGy2 and use it later?

I don't actually know, but nothing in psychiatry seems to change but the number on the DSM, so I think so.

Which Stahl book is recommended?

GUH, Essentials of Psychopharmacology. For something lighter (although essentials isn't too dense), consider Prescribers Handbook.

I also recommend House of God as well as at least one investing book before the end of residency (consider the White Coat Investor or the Boglehead Guide to Investing).

Ben White (a radiology resident who is married to a psych resident) has some good recommendations:

http://www.benwhite.com/medicine/best-books-for-psychiatry-residents/

--

Below are my categorized and annotated book recommendations for psychiatry residents, including book recommendations for the psychiatry boards.

General Texts
The DSM-V is a no-brainer, although if you’re choosing, the desk reference is easier to carry around. The big boy is definitive and long (991 pages). The “desk reference” is the pocket sized 444-pager that contains the clinical criteria and pares out some of the additional background, epidemiology, etc. Despite the fact that the move to DSM-V is incomplete for billing purposes, it seems short-sighted to buy the DSM-IV-TR. That said, if you have or pick up a cheap copy of the DSM-IV-TR, then this brief documentcovers the highlights of the changes made in the new edition. If you are looking for a more extensive update from the DSM-IV but written in a personable fashion, the DSM-V Essentials would get the job done.

The quintessential Kaplan & Saddock series comes in different flavors depending on your mood. Don’t let the title fool you, Kaplan & Saddock’s “Synopsis” of Psychiatry is gigantic. The newest edition is now updated for DSM5 and clocks in at a healthly 1460 pages. This is the definitive, if somewhat obtuse, text in psychiatry. It makes for a nice reference, with a lot of historical information. Kaplan & Sadock’s Concise Textbook of Clinical Psychiatry, the “smaller” book (still 750 pages!), is the textbook that you might actually read cover to cover (K&S use the term concise loosely). It hasn’t been updated for DSM5 yet. For board review and general reinforcement, you can complete your trifecta with Kaplan & Sadock’s Study Guide and Self-Examination Review in Psychiatry, probably the most comprehensive review book and question source for the PRITE and the boards. This book can be your USMLEWorld of psychiatry. In addition to 1600 questions with detailed explanations, the review text is essentially a readable version of the practical parts of the larger volumes.

The APA also puts out the large (1700 page) Textbook of Psychiatry, a worthy alternative to Kaplan & Saddock for those who don’t care for Kaplan and Saddock’s sometimes exhausting style but still want to pretend to read a book that weighs 5 pounds.

Board Review
The favorite review/question books for ABPN Psychiatry Certification Examination seem to be:

The most popular/best online question bank for the ABPN is Board Vitals (which also has question banks for other specialities as well). From user comments online, this resource is definitely not error free yet, but it’s still widely used. Using the code BW10at checkout also gets you 10% off (buying after clicking that link gives me a referral; if you don’t want me to get anything, then just use the coupon code without clicking the link).

Psychiatry Board Review: Pearls of Wisdom is a change of pace and is written in a concise Q&A format. It is neither as consistent nor as thorough as the other review books, but it does contain a lot of high yield facts organized in a quick-read manner.

Unlike for Step 1, First Aid for the Psychiatry Boards isn’t the strongest source for psychiatry review, but it does a passable job for neurology.

On the Wards
For those dreaded medicine months, UpToDate is still probably the very best resource. But if you prefer a pocket guide for the not-so-white coat, MGH’s Pocket Medicine is still the best. For when you’re on the psych wards, MGH also makes the Residency Handbook of Psychiatry.

Psychopharmacology
Stahl’s Essential Psychopharmacology is the best resource for learning psychopharm as a first year residents. Start with Stahl and you’ll have a good foundation. Well organized, well written, excellent diagrams.

Essentials of Clinical Psychopharmacology goes into serious detail where Stahl does not. So much detail that many individual drugs have entire chapters (12 pages on buspirone anyone?). The downside is that each chapter has its own authors and the editing is not tight—there’s a fair amount of repetition.

Handbook of Psychiatric Drug Therapy is an extremely practical and well organized pocket size book. Small font, but very clinically oriented.

Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopoeia is a classic general pharma reference, but most people will just use an app like Epocrates (which is just so much easier).

Neurology
Kaufman’s Clinical Neurology for Psychiatrists is the universally utilized source for a psychiatry-relevant and reasonable treatment of neurology for the boards and beyond. This is sufficient.

If you want a broader and less Psychiatry-oriented volume, Neurology for the Non-Neurologist does the job. It’s readable and not very deep.

For those interested in a basic science level approach to neurobiology and mental health, try Neuroscience for the Mental Health Clinician. Definitely not required reading.

Misc.
You may not want or need a book about how to conduct a psychiatric interview. For some, this is intuitive on the job learning with taking bits and pieces from the other people you work with. But if you do want a book about the psychiatric interview, then Psychiatric Interviewing: The Art of Understanding is it.

A Clinicians Guide to Statistics and Epidemiology in Mental Health is a great introduction or refresher to clinically relevant biostatistics, research methods, etc. Clearly written, and all of the examples used in the book are landmark papers you should know anyway.

Therapy
Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond is a classic CBT textbook. So classic, in fact, that the author, Judith Beck, is the daughter of Aaron Beck (founder of CBT). The sample interviews are extremely hokey however. You’ve been warned.

Mind Over Mood is CBT geared for patients. It includes short chapters and lots of worksheets, which you can copy for CBT patients during therapy. The Anxiety & Worry Workbook is even better (for your anxiety CBT patients).

Becoming a Therapist is the classic psychotherapy text. It’s written in a personal style from the beginning therapist’s perspective and includes lots of…dialogue. You may find this a somewhat strange read, particularly if you have good real life examples to model after.

Psychodynamic Psychotherapy: A Clinical Manual is a more structured approach to psychodynamic psychotherapy, with reasonable and readable short chapters.

Dinner conversation fodder (well-rounded mental health-ish reading)

Reactions: 3 users
Ben White (a radiology resident who is married to a psych resident) has some good recommendations:

http://www.benwhite.com/medicine/best-books-for-psychiatry-residents/

--

Below are my categorized and annotated book recommendations for psychiatry residents, including book recommendations for the psychiatry boards.

General Texts
The DSM-V is a no-brainer, although if you’re choosing, the desk reference is easier to carry around. The big boy is definitive and long (991 pages). The “desk reference” is the pocket sized 444-pager that contains the clinical criteria and pares out some of the additional background, epidemiology, etc. Despite the fact that the move to DSM-V is incomplete for billing purposes, it seems short-sighted to buy the DSM-IV-TR. That said, if you have or pick up a cheap copy of the DSM-IV-TR, then this brief documentcovers the highlights of the changes made in the new edition. If you are looking for a more extensive update from the DSM-IV but written in a personable fashion, the DSM-V Essentials would get the job done.

The quintessential Kaplan & Saddock series comes in different flavors depending on your mood. Don’t let the title fool you, Kaplan & Saddock’s “Synopsis” of Psychiatry is gigantic. The newest edition is now updated for DSM5 and clocks in at a healthly 1460 pages. This is the definitive, if somewhat obtuse, text in psychiatry. It makes for a nice reference, with a lot of historical information. Kaplan & Sadock’s Concise Textbook of Clinical Psychiatry, the “smaller” book (still 750 pages!), is the textbook that you might actually read cover to cover (K&S use the term concise loosely). It hasn’t been updated for DSM5 yet. For board review and general reinforcement, you can complete your trifecta with Kaplan & Sadock’s Study Guide and Self-Examination Review in Psychiatry, probably the most comprehensive review book and question source for the PRITE and the boards. This book can be your USMLEWorld of psychiatry. In addition to 1600 questions with detailed explanations, the review text is essentially a readable version of the practical parts of the larger volumes.

The APA also puts out the large (1700 page) Textbook of Psychiatry, a worthy alternative to Kaplan & Saddock for those who don’t care for Kaplan and Saddock’s sometimes exhausting style but still want to pretend to read a book that weighs 5 pounds.

Board Review
The favorite review/question books for ABPN Psychiatry Certification Examination seem to be:

The most popular/best online question bank for the ABPN is Board Vitals (which also has question banks for other specialities as well). From user comments online, this resource is definitely not error free yet, but it’s still widely used. Using the code BW10at checkout also gets you 10% off (buying after clicking that link gives me a referral; if you don’t want me to get anything, then just use the coupon code without clicking the link).

Psychiatry Board Review: Pearls of Wisdom is a change of pace and is written in a concise Q&A format. It is neither as consistent nor as thorough as the other review books, but it does contain a lot of high yield facts organized in a quick-read manner.

Unlike for Step 1, First Aid for the Psychiatry Boards isn’t the strongest source for psychiatry review, but it does a passable job for neurology.

On the Wards
For those dreaded medicine months, UpToDate is still probably the very best resource. But if you prefer a pocket guide for the not-so-white coat, MGH’s Pocket Medicine is still the best. For when you’re on the psych wards, MGH also makes the Residency Handbook of Psychiatry.

Psychopharmacology
Stahl’s Essential Psychopharmacology is the best resource for learning psychopharm as a first year residents. Start with Stahl and you’ll have a good foundation. Well organized, well written, excellent diagrams.

Essentials of Clinical Psychopharmacology goes into serious detail where Stahl does not. So much detail that many individual drugs have entire chapters (12 pages on buspirone anyone?). The downside is that each chapter has its own authors and the editing is not tight—there’s a fair amount of repetition.

Handbook of Psychiatric Drug Therapy is an extremely practical and well organized pocket size book. Small font, but very clinically oriented.

Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopoeia is a classic general pharma reference, but most people will just use an app like Epocrates (which is just so much easier).

Neurology
Kaufman’s Clinical Neurology for Psychiatrists is the universally utilized source for a psychiatry-relevant and reasonable treatment of neurology for the boards and beyond. This is sufficient.

If you want a broader and less Psychiatry-oriented volume, Neurology for the Non-Neurologist does the job. It’s readable and not very deep.

For those interested in a basic science level approach to neurobiology and mental health, try Neuroscience for the Mental Health Clinician. Definitely not required reading.

Misc.
You may not want or need a book about how to conduct a psychiatric interview. For some, this is intuitive on the job learning with taking bits and pieces from the other people you work with. But if you do want a book about the psychiatric interview, then Psychiatric Interviewing: The Art of Understanding is it.

A Clinicians Guide to Statistics and Epidemiology in Mental Health is a great introduction or refresher to clinically relevant biostatistics, research methods, etc. Clearly written, and all of the examples used in the book are landmark papers you should know anyway.

Therapy
Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond is a classic CBT textbook. So classic, in fact, that the author, Judith Beck, is the daughter of Aaron Beck (founder of CBT). The sample interviews are extremely hokey however. You’ve been warned.

Mind Over Mood is CBT geared for patients. It includes short chapters and lots of worksheets, which you can copy for CBT patients during therapy. The Anxiety & Worry Workbook is even better (for your anxiety CBT patients).

Becoming a Therapist is the classic psychotherapy text. It’s written in a personal style from the beginning therapist’s perspective and includes lots of…dialogue. You may find this a somewhat strange read, particularly if you have good real life examples to model after.

Psychodynamic Psychotherapy: A Clinical Manual is a more structured approach to psychodynamic psychotherapy, with reasonable and readable short chapters.

Dinner conversation fodder (well-rounded mental health-ish reading)
Lol I actually thought the DSM V desk reference was the DSM V...i had no idea there was an even bigger version out there lol! I can hardly even read that.

Also, I don't think attendings even read the DSM V or review the diagnoses before labeling people lol

Lol I actually thought the DSM V desk reference was the DSM V...i had no idea there was an even bigger version out there lol! I can hardly even read that.

Also, I don't think attendings even read the DSM V or review the diagnoses before labeling people lol
One of the psych attendings I know actually recommended reading DSM for background info (ie epidemiology, course etc), ie the part that's excluded from the Desk Companion (which is pretty much just diagnostic criteria with explanations - though a potentially useful? pocket reference).

One of the psych attendings I know actually recommended reading DSM for background info (ie epidemiology, course etc), ie the part that's excluded from the Desk Companion (which is pretty much just diagnostic criteria with explanations - though a potentially useful? pocket reference).
That section is actually super useful. I use it for the rarer diseases, but mostly to teach the youngins.

In addition to the aforementioned Stahl and KS, selective parts of DSM-5 are quite useful I found in terms of epidemiology/prognosis and also their section on differential diagnosis commentary under each diagnosis I found were also quite helpful. Especially so when I'm teaching med students/other residents and I'd imagine it'd be good for testing purposes as well.