what's a good interview?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by streetdoc, Nov 3, 2002.

1. streetdoc

streetdoc Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Just trying to figuere out interviews...
    How can you tell if you have had a good interview? if you answer all of thier questions promptly and don't say "ummm, yeah, cool"?????

or what are signs of a bad interview? 10 mins of silence???

just trying to figuere out this random process...

any input is appreciated
    thanks,
    streetdoc

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. poloace

poloace Senior Member

i think a good interview is simply when you walk out feeling that you represented yourself well and didn't make a complete fool out of yourself. as long as you remain somewhat composed and don't freak out, then you've got a good shot. they're looking for maturity and composure under pressure as much as they're looking for an answer from you.

p

4. Street Philosopher

i don't really know what a good interview is. you might leave thinking you answered all the questions well, but maybe the interviewer saw something different, maybe noticed your fidgeting, etc. even getting an acceptance doesn't really tell you b/c interviews are only a part of the application.

it's probably just more healthy to do your best and once the interview is over, to put your mind on other things like school or whatever.

5. Jet915

Jet915 Shi*ter's Rule

I would think a good interview would be when you "converse" instead of just answer questions.

6. nappy kat

nappy kat Banned
    Banned

when (if) i get to that level i'm hoping for a great big hug (and hopefully tears) from adcom interviewer following the interview. That'd be my idea of a decent interview

7. heelshmeel

heelshmeel Tar Heel Bred

if you feel good about how the interview went, then you can say that it was "good"

however, a "bad" interview is easier to characterize... if there is that 10 minutes of deafening silence or if you feel that you were sweating tremendously and couldnt answer any of those questions ... then you can say that it was "bad"

i guess mainly, you have to see that the "bad" doesnt happen and hope that it will lead you to "good"

8. CoronaBOY

CoronaBOY Senior Member

I will say 'good' interview would the situation where the interviewer actually wanted to talk to you more after the interview time, actually holding you at his/her office while other applicants are waiting outside the office...(happen to me couple of times)

'bad' interview...when interviewer definitely not liking you...such as: my experience:
    I was born in foreign country and grew up there for awhile...
    so i took AP test to get language credits and didn't take any other foreign language in college...
    then my interviewer called me a cheater for using my mother language to get a credit

I will say that's 'bad' interview...

but I bet this won't happen to ya'll

9. SMW

SMW Grand Member

It's nice to come out of an interview feeling like it went well, you didn't make a complete fool or yourself, your interviewer really liked you, etc. But in my experience it does not correlate well with acceptance/rejection/waitlist decisions. I agree with Street Philosopher, there are too many other factors at work to make your feeling about how the interview went of much importance. Basically a "good" interview just assures that you stay in the running, but all medschools have a jillion applicants who are good enough to stay in the running, and they still can't take all of them. Like all the other parts of the application, you just put your best foot forward, and then hope for the best, realizing it's always something of a crap-shoot.

10. mightymouseal

mightymouseal Banned
    Banned

A good interview is where you can bring out a side of the interviewer that they weren't supposed to show.
    i.e.: You and the interviewer almost start shouting when discussing a heated football rivalry
    You both telling stories like you're talking to one of your friends, put simply, you both curse pretty freely when the story needs it
    You question the school's curriculum, and even though your interviewer turns out to be the curriculum director, you have a good little argument.

But in the end, only one thing matters: you score. (get accepted, that is)

11. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008

Medical Student
    i'd have to say whatever results in an acceptance. ;)

12. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

Also remember that what you think is a bad interview might not necessarily be bad. :)

-RA

13. Dr Chooch

Dr Chooch will row for toast

Resident [Any Field]
    A good interview always ends with sex.

Well, from my experience anyway. (Yes, Street Phil........that's what happened at Columbia.) :p

14. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

Whoa! (Street Phil? What do you know about this?) You had an IILF? :)

15. Jadeite

Jadeite Thought Puddle

A really good interview is when the interviewer says something like:

"I can't speak for the committee, but you're in."

"We need more people like you"

"You're going to get into medical school, it's just a question of where. This is why you should go here..."

And I've had different interviewers say these things (And yes, I did get accepted - they weren't lying)

But I've also gotten in after interviewers where the interviewer didn't say stuff like that, so don't worry if that doesn't happen.

Jade~

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Jadeite

Jadeite Thought Puddle

Oh yeah, and even though someone said "answer their questions promptly", you don't want to answer them too promptly! Let them finish the question completely (even if they mumble at the end!) and then take a few moments to nod sagely, mull over the answer and then respond. *ESPECIALLY* if this is the 5th time you've answered the SAME question. Canned answers are very bad. Connect with your interviewer on a personal level. What kind of body language are they using? What is their conversational style....

Jade~

18. ::Seabass::

::Seabass:: bringing burkas back!

What is IILF?????:confused:

19. Street Philosopher

My guess would be Interviewer I'd Like to... Familiarize myself with.

Dr. Chooch, nooooooooooo comment. :p

20. Dr Chooch

Dr Chooch will row for toast

Resident [Any Field]
    No, me and SP did not have an IILF (we did see a lot of hemorrhoids though :eek: ). I just had a great interview. :p And no, I didn't really have sex with Dean Frantz. :D

21. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

Yeah, it's like MILF. ;)

22. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member

this is what i've observed:

when you've interviewed w/ psychiatrists or people who are used to interview others (like admissions directors), remember that their daily routine is based on dealing w/ other people and listening. consequently, u shouldn't be too flattered if it appears to be a really great interview. they could just be "analyzing" you during the conversation. on the other hand, a pyschiatrist who doesn't seem to be establishing good rapport w/ u might just be giving one of those stressful interviews but ending up writing good things about you.

-I've interviewed w/ 3 pyschiatrists at three different schools so far. got rejected from one school which i thought interview went really well.

at my another interview (open-file), we just talked about random stuff like traveling, airlines, etc. and barely anything about medicine or my file. i came out of interview thinking it was probably one of my lower-performing interviews. i'll have to wait on this one to see what the decision is like. it'd be crazy if i actually got into this school.

23. jot

jot

a bad interview is when they lower their head slightly, raise their arm straight pointing to the door, and quietly say, "out. just please get out."

but then again i could have misinterpreted it - it could be like "get out [of here girlfriend - you are so hot]", or something to that effect.

i'm not sure though.

24. jot

jot

that was the dumbest post ever. i'll keep it up there as a warning to all that come after me.