What's a good Letter of Rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wrentana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have input on what makes a good letter of recommendation? I'm sure there is the usual about dedication, intelligence, promise as a physician & a commitment to the principles of osteopathic medicine, but what else?

The reason is- a DO I've talked with has offered to write me a letter of rec and he asked me what things I felt were important to include. I'm at a bit of a loss...

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Anecdotes are good. They make the general point in a way that will capture adcom attention. If he can mention specifics, and his personal opinion of those specifics, your lor will stand out.

well i think a strong LOR is one that shows that the author knows you well and obviously thinks highly of you....
so for instance - if you worked with a guy on a certain project, he should mention that and how well you performed in that capacity...
i.e. intelligence, ability to pick up new things quickly, ability to handle pressure, how you worked well with people...
basically as the previous poster mentioned, it should give specifics about why you're a strong applicant by referencing them to a specific incident or experience
good luck :clap:

I think what they are looking for is that the DO has observed that you have a real interest in medicine (ESP. Osteopathic Medicine). In my opinion (but what do I know) I think that it may be detrimental if the doctor knows you too well. It could be perceived as a favor rather than an objective review...but hey, that's just a thought so don't flame me. For this reason, I would have never sent a letter from a physician who was a personal friend. I got a very favorable letter from my doctor after being a patient for a month and shadowing him for two days. Also, provide the doctor with as much information about you as possible. If you have a CV/Resume handy and transcripts available, give them to the doctor prior to him/her writing the letter.