1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What's a good medical journal/magazine?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by medschool?, Jul 30, 2006.

1. medschool?

medschool? New Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to subscribe to a quality medical journal or magazine, perferably in print. However, with so many options out there, I'm not exactly sure which is the 'best'. I'm starting to lean towards JAMA, but would like your input.

Any suggestions?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dittozip

dittozip Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i suppose it depends on your reason for subsciribing. i personally think that science and nature are the best to read before going into an interview. they cover all scientific diciplines and so you caN look like a stud if you know a little bit about everything.

4. Captain Fantastic

Physician 10+ Year Member

The New England Journal of Medicine -- it's very technical, but is considered the top dog in medical journals.

5. medschool?

medschool? New Member

Pre-Medical
    Honestly, I'd just like something interesting to read. ;)

6. AmoryBlaine

AmoryBlaine the last tycoon
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Spot on. Plus it has alot of cool stuff (commentary, interviews, videos, etc) that are not necessarily too technical. If you read the abstracts of the main articles each month you will be doing a good job of keeping up with cutting edge medicine.

7. dittozip

dittozip Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

that is ******ed 90% of the stuff in there you will not understand. read science and nature and expand your world.

8. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If it really has to be in print, I guess go with NEJM or JAMA.

But if you could settle for Online... Nature is online and free. You can go to any number of subjournals and there's a lot of good stuff in there.

9. Scottish Chap

Physician PhD Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

For medical sciences: NEJM and JAMA. For basic sciences: Cell, Nature, Nature Medicine, Science, JCI.

10. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    For studying surface anatomy something like Penthouse should do fine. Playboy is too airbrushed to get a good anatomic sense, but might give you a feel for what is going on in the world of breast augmentation/plastics.

11. runningmom

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    L2D, you continue to have the best lines!! Too funny.... :laugh:

12. pirata

pirata Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Another good source of medical news I've found is Medscape Medstudents http://www.medscape.com/medicalstudents ...if you have a custom google homepage, you can actually add the RSS feed to it. (you can add JAMA and Nature feeds as well...)

13. MrMet31

MrMet31 DWright for MVP
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    NEJM has great editorials as well as scientific articles. Reading them helps give you a sense of what top physicians think about the current state of medicine and how they would implement reform.

14. MercuryX

MercuryX Member
    7+ Year Member

I work for American Family Physician, which is the 3rd most read med journal, so ill say this :)

15. geno2568

geno2568 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just read the ny times...there, you get the medical stuff and the healthcare policy stuff in one publication.

i know its not technical...but seriously, guys. They don't expect us to know medicine. That's why we're going to med school.

16. durfen

durfen I see plans within plans
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Radiology, no surprise for that to come from me.

17. etf

etf
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

yo aren't subscriptions to journals like nejm and jama really expensive? like aren't some in the thousands of dollars/year? i think you'd just be better off using pubmed

18. nvshelat

nvshelat Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Journal of Health Policy, Politics, and Law
    Health Affairs
    American Journal of Public Health

19. jonathon

jonathon Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    If you are near a library that has medical and basic science journals, just go there instead of spending money. Also, print based articles are good to have for keeping information. You should get use to reading them online though.

Go for NEJM. Its a great journal!

Yes, reading Nature and Science are good to read. However, a good number of those articles are not found to be true in due time. Check out the citation index for the articles published last year. If you want detailed knowledge, you are better of reading specialized journals.

I have an interest in Medical genetics (I will be starting a masters in Genetic counseling in two years and then a Ph.D. in Clinical genetics...I will be an expert in cardiovascular defects). So I check every issue of NEJM to see if there is anything relevant to read.

More Nobel winners published their work in PNAS more so then in Nature and Science. However, PNAS is known as a dumping spot for articles rejected elsewhere.

My advice to you is go to ISI and check the impact factors.

If you really want to develop some deep knowledge on topics, you are better off going to Pubmed and typing in the key words that you want to learn about and then print off some of the articles (I advice to find a literature review on topics you are interested in).

You can't go wrong with NEJM. I have found JAMA to be full of a lot of garbage.