medschool?

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys,

I'm looking to subscribe to a quality medical journal or magazine, perferably in print. However, with so many options out there, I'm not exactly sure which is the 'best'. I'm starting to lean towards JAMA, but would like your input.

Any suggestions?

dittozip

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
i suppose it depends on your reason for subsciribing. i personally think that science and nature are the best to read before going into an interview. they cover all scientific diciplines and so you caN look like a stud if you know a little bit about everything.

About the Ads
OP
M

medschool?

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
i suppose it depends on your reason for subsciribing. i personally think that science and nature are the best to read before going into an interview. they cover all scientific diciplines and so you caN look like a stud if you know a little bit about everything.
Honestly, I'd just like something interesting to read. ;)

AmoryBlaine

the last tycoon
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 1, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
ed2brute said:
The New England Journal of Medicine -- it's very technical, but is considered the top dog in medical journals.
Spot on. Plus it has alot of cool stuff (commentary, interviews, videos, etc) that are not necessarily too technical. If you read the abstracts of the main articles each month you will be doing a good job of keeping up with cutting edge medicine.

dittozip

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
AmoryBlaine said:
Spot on. Plus it has alot of cool stuff (commentary, interviews, videos, etc) that are not necessarily too technical. If you read the abstracts of the main articles each month you will be doing a good job of keeping up with cutting edge medicine.

that is ******ed 90% of the stuff in there you will not understand. read science and nature and expand your world.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
If it really has to be in print, I guess go with NEJM or JAMA.

But if you could settle for Online... Nature is online and free. You can go to any number of subjournals and there's a lot of good stuff in there.

Scottish Chap

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
medschool? said:
Hey guys,

I'm looking to subscribe to a quality medical journal or magazine, perferably in print. However, with so many options out there, I'm not exactly sure which is the 'best'. I'm starting to lean towards JAMA, but would like your input.

Any suggestions?
For medical sciences: NEJM and JAMA. For basic sciences: Cell, Nature, Nature Medicine, Science, JCI.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
medschool? said:
Hey guys,

Any suggestions?
For studying surface anatomy something like Penthouse should do fine. Playboy is too airbrushed to get a good anatomic sense, but might give you a feel for what is going on in the world of breast augmentation/plastics.

runningmom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2006
Maryland!!!
Status
Medical Student
Law2Doc said:
For studying surface anatomy something like Penthouse should do fine. Playboy is too airbrushed to get a good anatomic sense, but might give you a feel for what is going on in the world of breast augmentation/plastics.
L2D, you continue to have the best lines!! Too funny.... :laugh:

MrMet31

DWright for MVP
10+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
Shea Stadium
Status
Pre-Medical
NEJM has great editorials as well as scientific articles. Reading them helps give you a sense of what top physicians think about the current state of medicine and how they would implement reform.

MercuryX

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2004
Status
I work for American Family Physician, which is the 3rd most read med journal, so ill say this :)

geno2568

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
Just read the ny times...there, you get the medical stuff and the healthcare policy stuff in one publication.

i know its not technical...but seriously, guys. They don't expect us to know medicine. That's why we're going to med school.

durfen

I see plans within plans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Kaitain
Status
Resident [Any Field]
medschool? said:
Hey guys,

Any suggestions?
Radiology, no surprise for that to come from me.

etf

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2005
Status
yo aren't subscriptions to journals like nejm and jama really expensive? like aren't some in the thousands of dollars/year? i think you'd just be better off using pubmed

nvshelat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
Journal of Health Policy, Politics, and Law
Health Affairs
American Journal of Public Health

jonathon

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2005
Status
Other Health Professions Student
If you are near a library that has medical and basic science journals, just go there instead of spending money. Also, print based articles are good to have for keeping information. You should get use to reading them online though.

Go for NEJM. Its a great journal!

Yes, reading Nature and Science are good to read. However, a good number of those articles are not found to be true in due time. Check out the citation index for the articles published last year. If you want detailed knowledge, you are better of reading specialized journals.

I have an interest in Medical genetics (I will be starting a masters in Genetic counseling in two years and then a Ph.D. in Clinical genetics...I will be an expert in cardiovascular defects). So I check every issue of NEJM to see if there is anything relevant to read.

More Nobel winners published their work in PNAS more so then in Nature and Science. However, PNAS is known as a dumping spot for articles rejected elsewhere.

My advice to you is go to ISI and check the impact factors.

If you really want to develop some deep knowledge on topics, you are better off going to Pubmed and typing in the key words that you want to learn about and then print off some of the articles (I advice to find a literature review on topics you are interested in).

You can't go wrong with NEJM. I have found JAMA to be full of a lot of garbage.

About the Ads