1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What's a good number of interviews?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by iheartflatus, Sep 6, 2014.

1. iheartflatus

Pre-Medical
    How many interviews would give me a good shot of getting into at least one?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SkipJunior

SkipJunior I'm Your Butler
    Account on Hold

Pre-Medical
    I would say at least 3-4, depending on how well you interview and the overall strength of your application. A lot of schools will review your entire app after your interview, so a strong interview experience doesn't guarantee an acceptance, especially if you barely received that interview invite with the skin of your teeth.

4. godawg300

Medical Student (Accepted)
    3-5, good shot
    5-10, great shot
    10-15, excellent shot
    15-20, amazing shot
    20+, multiple acceptances with scholarship money

Just made all that up. I think it depends on how well you interview. For some it's natural and others really struggle. Especially if you look good on paper but are awkward in person.

5. mvenus929

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    Depends on how well you interview, what time of year you interview, and how strong your overall application is. If you're getting multiple interview offers now, you likely have a good shot of getting an acceptance. If you don't get your first interview invite until December, you have a lower chance of getting an acceptance.

godawg300 and SkipJunior like this.
  6. Lifeman

10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    If we assume a 3:1 interview to accepted ratio, you need about 7 interviews for a 95% chance of getting admitted.

7. kthxbai

kthxbai Really bad eggs
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As many as will get you accepted.

8. Plecopotamus

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Don't decline any until you have an acceptance.
    Every year there are people on SDN who have done well at getting interviews but have no acceptance at the end of the season. A sneaking suspicion of bad interviewing starts to show up around 3 unsuccessful interviews, is almost certain by 4, & definite at 5 if they didn't happen to have a lopsided list of IIs (i.e. all far reaches, or something unusual like a courtesy interview due to legacy). So 3 is likely to work out, but you keep going until you have proof you are in.

9. Deadlifts

Deadlifts Warming up with your max
    5+ Year Member

I applied to 15, wrote secondaries to 10, interviewed at 2, accepted at 1 and wait listed (declined my WL spot) at 1.

Don't let the neurotic tendencies sometimes seen here on SDN make you think that you absolutely need 5+ interviews to get an acceptance. Would more interviews increase your likelihood of acceptance? Statistically, yes. Accept the interviews offered to you and don't stress that other people you talk to are getting more invites.

demystifie and Jay11jayjay like this.