Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What's a good number to apply to?

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by Squiggy, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Squiggy

5+ Year Member

Ok, say I've got a science and cGPA of around 3.2-3.3, with an MCAT in the low 30s. If I was to apply early in the application cycle to SMPs such as Georgetown, EVMS, BU, RFU, Drexel, etc, how many programs should I apply to in order to have a very good chance of getting into a program?

I've read some people recommend 4-5 but what would be the safest number?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. moneduloides

moneduloides Corvus
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Your "safest" bet would be to apply to every program in existence.

If you've read in the forums recommendations of 4-5 then you're not likely to get a different answer starting a new thread. We can't give you a definitive answer; we don't know how many programs you need to apply to in order to get accepted.

I think you already know the answer: the "safest" number is completely dependent on how much you can afford.

4. Squiggy

5+ Year Member

I have a list of 32 compiled so far but I think that's overkill, especially since most smps require interviews. I don't think I'd need to apply to this many.

For those who were accepted into SMPs, where were you accepted, what were your stats (GPA,MCAT, LoRs, ECs) and how many programs did you apply to?

5. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Most SMPs do NOT require interviews. The only one I've seen (in building the '09 list) that requires an interview is Temple, because it implies a guaranteed Temple SOM admission.

I think you should look very carefully at each program's requirements and promises. If you're competitive at a program like Georgetown, then apply only to programs of that caliber (where you're taking med school classes and being graded against med students). Make sure you're not applying to a program for disadvantaged URMs unless you're a disadvantaged URM, for instance, and look carefully at the GPA and MCAT minimums.

Best of luck to you.

6. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Also, if your list of 32 isn't the same as the 32 in my "SMP List: January 2008" list, please post any programs you've found that we don't know about.

7. Squiggy

5+ Year Member

Hmm... I've only got the ACP for Tulane (needs a waitlist so I may have to cross out) and in leiu of the others I have Loma Linda (heavy 7th DA so that's out) and Creighton (needs to be disadvantaged I think so that's out too).

Money is not a problem but quite frankly I don't know which programs are the best and if I'm competitive for them. I've got till next cycle to narrow the list down but at the moment it's shotgun now, decide after/if I get acceptances.

#6 Squiggy, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009