• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

What’s a good OAT score?

Opt.00

Jul 6, 2020
Hi everyone! I am taking the OAT soon and applying for this application cycle and I was wondering what a safe score to aim for is based on my other stats. I have a 3.8 gpa, have hundreds of shadowing hours and optometric experience, around 100 volunteer hours as well as a few extracurriculars. My top choice of school is UMSL but I will be applying to others as well.

eyedoc2024

Jul 7, 2020
  1. Optometry Student
Well, I didn't actually apply to UMSL. Here is why. When you apply, you want to give yourself the best chance of getting in as possible. That can make getting into schools with smaller class sizes more difficult so many of us tend to avoid applying to smaller schools if we are not dead set on going to that particular school. UMSL has a class size of about 45 and it just wasn't worth it for me since it wasn't my favorite. But if it is then absolutely apply there but also apply to more. I think I applied to 6 or 7 and was accepted at my top choice. You should have no problem getting in but keep in mind that the application process does involve academics but also heavily relies on who you are as a person not just on paper. An applicant can have every quality and be perfect on the academic side but they are looking for someone who will fit in with their school, not just a strong applicant. Hope this helps!

Also, these two tables really helped me. Stats are from 2019

K Seawell, ICO 24'

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.